Options

What can I do for my age?

GoranCroGoranCro Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just got A+ hardware doing and I am OS in about 2 months.... Net+ before 2006 but I would just like to know what kind of jobs a kid can get in the IT world at 16? I'm not even looking for some huge pay just something that deals with PC's and that will give me experince that jobs look for afterwards

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Maybe an internship for help desk or something, but your age will be a big factor.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well you got the right idea to start off with. Your not going to get a huge salary or even a decent job.

A lot of small type service provider companies like getting young people in. You can get great overall experience and training.

If you like big companies and enterprises (generally where the money is) then look at an entry level help desk job. These jobs give you a great grounding in the industry and you can work your way up the ladder to jobs you might like to do more.
  • Options
    CherperCherper Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have A+, you might be able to get a job at someplace like CompUSA, or BestBuy. The job might not be great but it will give you some experience. The other option is looking for a small place that will give you a shot. We have an organization here that recycles old machines and gives them to senior citizens. They don't pay, but you would get hands on experience. There may something similar where you live.
    Studying and Reading:

Whatever strikes my fancy...
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i say take the retail store track being that it will provide u with something that shows your functional in what u do and by time your 18 with 2 years exp. your value would be better and hopefully u will earn more certs during that time to provide you with a better than entry-level job
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Retail is a great place to start (as one learns how to deal with a variety of people and knowledge levels :) ).

Otherwise, if your school offers a Co-operative Education Program (work during school hours for credit) or even see if you GC can help you with hooking up an internship. Pay would be nice, but that may limit your opportunities. With summer approaching, you could may find some company willing to mentor you for an internship. Even a half-day so they you could still work for pay elsewhere is good.

I applaud you for thinking this way. So many (TOO MANY) young people are afraid to do what you are doing - ask for suggestions and not planning to manage the IT Team by the end of summer! Good for you and you'll likely find your openness and hard work will pay-off!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    kramitkramit Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    im 17 and it tooke me a good 8months to find a job, but now im working for netgear's tech support on i wage that is triple what i should be getting paid.

the only advice i can give is try not to releaase details about your age untill they meet u in the intervew, meaning take your DOB off your CV and only give it out ot if they specificly ask you. this is how i landed my job, they had no idea how old i was untill i went for the interview wich is when i had my chance to shine. Just make sure that you do know your stuff as you will most probably be quizzed on it (i had a 120 qu test to do!).

You just need to force your way into that interview room in any way possible.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DOB, sex, religion, and other personal information should be left off of a resume (at least in the US). Not sure about CVs and in other countries.

For the original question: Co-ops and internships are a good idea. Since you are young, try to get a differents ones, that way you can experience different aspects of IT.

Best Buy and CompUSA are also a good start. If you can't get in as a PC tech, start off in sales.

You could also look into making Websites for people.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    shadeedshadeed Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    GoranCro wrote:
    Just got A+ hardware doing and I am OS in about 2 months.... Net+ before 2006 but I would just like to know what kind of jobs a kid can get in the IT world at 16? I'm not even looking for some huge pay just something that deals with PC's and that will give me experince that jobs look for afterwards

Where do you live?? If you live in MD/DC/VA area then my lil' buddy you can work on the federal side of the IT world. They will put you thru college and you'll have to work for them for a 2 year minimum. I'm sure making $38 grand at 21 years old isn't THAT bad.
    Taking over the IT world...one cert at a time.