Options

Prep Courses

tjh2atjh2a Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Has anyone used a Prep Course or Boot camp to prepare for this exam? My employer is going to pay for it and I need to get Security+ somewhat quickly. I have read alot about people mostly using Darril's book and passing. What was your time frame from start to finish if you only used Darril's book?

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Depends how quickly you absorb the information and how much you may already know. If you are experienced in IT Security it should be a fairly easy cert for you.

I would only expect a boot camp to last a few days.. but I would look around.. Global knowledge is pretty big but I never used them before.. I just get their monthly newsletter.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Everybody learns at a different pace. It took me 3 weeks. Read the book in two and reviewed for an additional one. I do have considerable experience in security (except cryptography).
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    tjh2a wrote: »
    Has anyone used a Prep Course or Boot camp to prepare for this exam? My employer is going to pay for it and I need to get Security+ somewhat quickly. I have read alot about people mostly using Darril's book and passing. What was your time frame from start to finish if you only used Darril's book?

What is your time frame to get it done in and what is your background?
  • Options
    tjh2atjh2a Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My time frame is within the next two months, since i did see that the new test will be coming out May 2011.

Has anyone heard of training for Security+ though Carnegie Mellon's Software Engineering Institute? It is a program that is offered by DISA and I am eligible to take it. Its all online, with lectures, demos, labs and quizzes. The whole course is 49 hours, do you think that I should break those 49 hours into say 10 hours/week segments or just do 8 hours over 6 days straight.

My background has not really involved much in-depth security. My experience has been mainly with Systems Administration of Win 2k3.

Thanks for the advice so far.
  • Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    tjh2a wrote: »
    My time frame is within the next two months, since i did see that the new test will be coming out May 2011.

Has anyone heard of training for Security+ though Carnegie Mellon's Software Engineering Institute? It is a program that is offered by DISA and I am eligible to take it. Its all online, with lectures, demos, labs and quizzes. The whole course is 49 hours, do you think that I should break those 49 hours into say 10 hours/week segments or just do 8 hours over 6 days straight.

My background has not really involved much in-depth security. My experience has been mainly with Systems Administration of Win 2k3.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Personally, I would take it 10 hours/week since I like to absorb the knowledge more.

I don't think you will be disadvantaged either way though.