Tone Generator help; active/non-active network?

astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been looking at 2 tone generators from Fluke Networks but I'm a bit confused as to the differences. Here are the 2 I'm looking at:

Fluke PRO3000 Tone and Probe Kit - $67.24 @ amazon.com

Fluke MT-8200-50A IntelliTone 100 Kit - $128.25 @ amazon.com

Both get good reviews but the cheaper one is designed to be used on non-active networks while the more expensive one can be used on active networks.

What exactly does that mean? Could the cheaper one cause problems/damage if used on an active network? Or does it just mean it is less effective on an active network?

Comments

• phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Modern network devices use aggressive termination schemes for cables connected to their ports. While this termination reduces noise and crosstalk in the cable, it can also absorb an analog toner signal, making the connected cable impossible to detect with an analog audio probe. The result is that locating an unlabeled network can take hours with analog technology. Unlike analog signals, the IntelliTone digital signal stays strong despite common mode termination. And the IntelliTone Pro Toner automates toning individual cable conductors, making it quick, efficient and safe to locate cables on active networks.

IntelliTone Toner and Probe:Tone on Live Networks Safely and Effectively - Cable Installation Tools - Fluke Networks

I have the MT-8200 and it has never let me down. I use the cable mapper for testing newly made patch cables all the time. And when it comes across a pair that isnt terminated correctly, it makes this beeping noise that just crushes your heart and insults your cable making skills.