Options

WSUS Synchronization

peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I have a newly built WSUS machine and I need it to synchronize it's update database. I do not have an upstream server and this machine is on a closed LAN that cannot access the internet. Is it possible to download the updates from another machine, burn them to DVD(s), and place them onto my WSUS server to provide my closed LAN clients their updates? If so, can someone point me to a link or provide me some assistance to download the updates? I couldn't find anything on technet regarding this. Every article I read either suggested to point to Microsoft or an upstream server. Any assistance is greatly appreciated... Thanks!

-Peanut
We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I could only vaguely remember this from my 291 exam, so here's a quick Google-fu I just did.

WSUS Deployment Scenarios

Look towards the bottom of the above link. Now to export and then import the metadata, see the following link. WSUS Import-Export for disconnected network "How To" - Intel by Diego Cabai - Qondio

Please let us know if this works.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks Essendon,

The second link you provided was sort of what I'm trying to do, but I want to be able to download the updates/metadata on an XP machine, burn it to a disc and then place it in the proper directory on the WSUS. I don't have the capabilities to have an import server and export server unfortunately. I only have the ability to have one XP machine on the internet and it does not talk with the machines on the closed LAN. That's the reason I'd like to download all the updates on one machine, burn it to a disc, then place it on the WSUS. Thanks!!

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    I've read you can also do it by copying the Content Directory, a couple CAB files, and the approveditems.txt file. I think it is part of files included in the Export Metadata Process in the second link.