Options

When they say you got the job, and dissappear...

millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
So this thread doesn't really matter much since I'm employed. However, one thing I noticed that I found funny was a company I did 3 interviews with that all went well for a Sys Admin position. My last interview both IT guys said they really liked me and would like to hire me and will talk to HR about bringing me onboard. 3 days later HR called me and said they would like to hire me for the position but they need about a week - week and a half to draw up the paperwork since they switched to a difference payroll system (or something).

That was the last I ever heard from the company. lol. I got the job offer from Cisco that day so it wasn't a big deal really. But what do you make of that? Seems sort of unprofessional.
Currently Reading:
CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    millworx wrote: »
    So this thread doesn't really matter much since I'm employed. However, one thing I noticed that I found funny was a company I did 3 interviews with that all went well for a Sys Admin position. My last interview both IT guys said they really liked me and would like to hire me and will talk to HR about bringing me onboard. 3 days later HR called me and said they would like to hire me for the position but they need about a week - week and a half to draw up the paperwork since they switched to a difference payroll system (or something).

That was the last I ever heard from the company. lol. I got the job offer from Cisco that day so it wasn't a big deal really. But what do you make of that? Seems sort of unprofessional.

Well you were lucky to get an offer from cisco so it's a moot point. Thank heavens for small mercies. There is a lot of screwing around for admin positions. It will get worse.
  • Options
    thomas130thomas130 Member Posts: 184

Seem very unprofessional to me

What happen in you left your current job for this and then ended up with no job. Lucky for you that did'nt happen but still.
  • Options
    parttimetechieparttimetechie Member Posts: 156
    I find that happens a great deal now days. Not so much with a job offer but in the initial stages. You get a call, they review your resume, bring you in for an interview, and say they will get back to you, and that is the last you ever hear from them. Its very unprofessional and extremely discouraging for those of us who are looking high and low for jobs.

What kind of tech jobs are out there that are still hiring? Any in the OC area?
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It shows the level of contempt companies have for workers. I'm looking for work right now and it's amazing how little recruiters actually communicate. I have to continually ring up to find out where I'm at with pending interviews otherwise a week will go by with nothing.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was told I had a job at Lucent back in 2000 or 2001 and was just waiting on the formalities... this was 2 days before they announced their massive layoffs and forced retirements. The folks I interviewed with were let go and I never heard from them formally again.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Maybe it's a test. Did you try contacting them? If not, you didn't pass since anyone who is actually interested in the job would follow-up.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well a verbal agreement is just a verbal and might not mean much until you get the actual paperwork.
  • Options
    It's just the way it is these days in many cases. Nobody owes you a job. Some courtesy would be good but in today's commodity society it's unrealistic to expect it.
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Well a verbal agreement is just a verbal and might not mean much until you get the actual paperwork.

But even then, the paperwork (I assume you mean the offer letter) is not legally binding, is it? They can still back out, from what I understand.
  • Options
    I think so. But if you get problems is litigation worth the candle unless someone owes you money due to a relocate etc. Forget it and move on. The industry is mean and impersonal on one level. It is what it is.
  • Options
    howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148

That's the way it is, and I've been on enough interviews to realize there are some companies that are professional, and some are not. Bottom line is, its a job, and you're just a body. If you're gone, they'll have twenty candidates for the job in an hour. Seems to have worked out for you, you're lucky to have had options. Congrats on working for Cisco.
  • Options
    That's the way it is, and I've been on enough interviews to realize there are some companies that are professional, and some are not. Bottom line is, its a job, and you're just a body. If you're gone, they'll have twenty candidates for the job in an hour. Seems to have worked out for you, you're lucky to have had options. Congrats on working for Cisco.

All companies can be unprofessional. It depends on the emotional intelligence of the human being that is handling your application. Expect no civility today, it's a dollar chase. If people are rude, forget about it and move on.
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll drink to that! icon_smile.gif Been there done that. It is a buyer's market out there these days.

So, many companies have no problem being darn right rude, because there are tons of people out there to take your place. icon_sad.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.