Weightage ??/

MaSterOfGRapesMaSterOfGRapes Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Guys can any one tell me the how the weightage s given for different topics on CCNA . And ya was talking with my friend the other day , he said wireless topics s just breeze through and the exam rarely asks questions on them . Is he right about that ? icon_confused.gif:
thanks
-Sid

Comments

• astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There's not much wireless stuff on the exam, and the few questions they do have probably aren't worth a lot anyway. Most of the exam deals with routing subnetting, acls and nat are also big and is what caused me to fail. I would definitely recommend making sure you know how to configure acls/nat as well as understand ospf, eigrp, and rip.

I'd also recommend going the 2 test route which is easier if you've never taken a CCNA exam before. Costs the same and shouldn't be as stressful.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Its luck of the draw. There's 50 questions and more than 50 topics. What I saw will not be what you saw.
  • MaSterOfGRapesMaSterOfGRapes Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies guys . i think will skip wireless * makes no sense with just a outlook study of it *
    -Sid
  • hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    Thanks for the replies guys . I think will skip wireless * makes no sense with just a outlook study of it *
    -Sid

I would not advise skipping ANY topic! Any topic scored low could mean the difference between pass and fail!

No one is able to tellhow Cisco weights the different topics! I think what everyone will agree on, having passed the exam, it that we need to know everything!

By and far, this is one of the most difficult exams I have taken (my background is Electrical Engineering with many years of network experience and it took me two attempts, so I'll let you look into the requirements).

Now, you may take this as you will! Having spent the past 12 years in the field as an on-site support tech, I am able to discern when I am dealing with one who knows their job and one who does not. I do not hesitate to castrate a support person I am dealing with when I find one who is less knowledgeable than I! As a remote support person, one never knows the level of experience their eyes and hands on sitemay have. There is absolutely on substitute of hands on, practical, experience!

Here is a real life example regarding what I am talking about! Today, I had a return visit (the reason for the return was due to ISP provider issues) for a network installation involving basic network data, VoIP, and Wireless connectivity. Remote support was trying to enable the SSID beacon for wireless so employees/guests could connect to the network with the minimal configuration steps. For 15 minutes, support struggled tiring to find the proper commands necessary to enable access as they wanted, CLI or GUI. Finally, they allowed me to take control of the remote session and in less than 1 minute I had the changes made!

Note, I am NOT wireless certified! What I did know was that Guest Mode enabled the beacon broadcast necessary to accomplish what the needed and I knew where to go in the APs GUI to activate it!

End result ... A MUCH HIGHER LEVEL OF RESPECT FROM REMOTE SUPPORT and the knowledge that when I make an observation/suggestion they are more likely to give it serious consideration in the future!

I may assure you of one thing and that is companies expect that the level of expertise of employees generally exceeds that of those providing on-site support and, given the fact that most companies record/monitor support interaction , those providing support who are found to be less knowledgeable than those who they are providing support to are subject to further evaluation regarding future status within the company.
    So, in the long run, only you may decide what is important regarding information studied! What are the ultimate goals you set for yourself? The question, in my mind, is not about passing CCNA, but what I bring to the table as a CCNA when I approach a company for employment!
    Then again, you may have to deal with me on a remote support call! Are you able to handle that? Trust me, even though I am very diplomatic and patient when dealing with support personnel, I will not hesitate to castrate you if the situation warrants or escalate as necessary to ensure that the end client receives the best service they deserve!
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
  • tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hermeszdata resumed it well. Taking shortcuts won't help you at the end!
    Even Cisco doesn't respect their blueprints at 100%, so who knows what questions you will get ;)

I think everyone doing certifications have got a question in the past and was in front of the screen... icon_redface.gificon_confused.gif??: .... what they want exactly? lol