CBT Nuggets vs Pro Messer vs Testout vs TS

nimrod.sixty9nimrod.sixty9 Banned Posts: 125 ■□□□□□□□□□
Which one is best for the n10-004? Im not looking for the best bang for the buck, Im looking for which one is truely best. Obviously some of it is opinion so throw it out there. I prefer not to fall asleep and I really want to learn the material. TIA

Comments

• Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you have the time, then watch Michael Shannon in the CBT Series. He's a Cisco guy with lots of knowledge, though sometimes takes it beyond the scope of the objectives. Not a bad thing though, since it helps build a better knowledge. Also, he has really neat handwriting as well being great at drawing diagrams. Really, really informative stuff and his voice is not a pain to listen to. Definitely helped me pass.

If you don't have time, or are reviewing instead of learning, then go with Professor Messer. He truly is the man. His presentation style learning makes note taking very precise and he sure does know his stuff. His Modules are broken down according to official exam objectives and are never more than 20-25 minutes each which make it never boring to watch. His voice is very clear and its always helpful to see your instructor i guess. His videos are free on his website as well. so its always a plus. i love the man, im kind of sad i cant use him to study microsoft icon_sad.gif

Transcender i have no experience with but i hear is good as well.

What textbook are you using?

My course of study was with CBT nuggets, professor Messer, and Sybex Network+ Guide by Tom Lammle. I would suggest this book if you really wanted to get in the nitty gritty details and know what youre reading about and pass the test with high marks. There are 20 chapters, each chapter has 20 multiple choice questions AND 10 written review questions. Theres also an extended subnetting lab in the back of the book. On the CD there are practice quizzes too.
    Tom, like Michael Shannon is a Cisco guru, they both know what they are teaching inside and out.

What i would do is watch a CBT nuggets corresponding to the order of chapters in the Sybex book, Take notes, then watch professor Messer while adding to my notes, THEN read the chapter in the textbook while doing some highlighting. this way the reading becomes BREEZE. think about never having to reread a paragraph over and over to understand it.
    then review your notes and textbook for 30 minutes and ace the review questions after the chapter and move on.

anyways. good luck!
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • nimrod.sixty9nimrod.sixty9 Banned Posts: 125 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you have the time, then watch Michael Shannon in the CBT Series. He's a Cisco guy with lots of knowledge, though sometimes takes it beyond the scope of the objectives. Not a bad thing though, since it helps build a better knowledge. Also, he has really neat handwriting as well being great at drawing diagrams. Really, really informative stuff and his voice is not a pain to listen to. Definitely helped me pass.

If you don't have time, or are reviewing instead of learning, then go with Professor Messer. He truly is the man. His presentation style learning makes note taking very precise and he sure does know his stuff. His Modules are broken down according to official exam objectives and are never more than 20-25 minutes each which make never boring to watch. His voice is very clear and its always helpful to see your instructor i guess. His videos are free on his website as well. so its always a plus. i love the man, im kind of sad i cant use him to study microsoft icon_sad.gif

Transcender i have no experience with but i hear is good as well.

What textbook are you using?

My course of study was with CBT nuggets, professor messer, and Sybex Network+ Guide by Tom Lammle. I would suggest this book if you really wanted to get in the nitty gritty details and know what youre reading about and pass the test with high marks. There are 20 chapters, each chapter has 20 multiple choice questions AND 10 written review questions. Theres also an extended subnetting lab in the back of the book. On the CD there are practice quizzes too.
    Tom, like Michael Shannon are Cisco gurus, they know what they are teaching.

What i would do is watch a CBT nuggets corresponding to the order of chapters in the Sybex book, Take notes, then watch professor messer, adding to my notes, THEN read the Chapter in the textbook with some highlighting. this way the reading was a BREEZE. think about never having to reread a paragraph over and over to understand it.
    then review notes and textbook for 30 minutes and ace the review questions after the chapter.

anyways. good luck!

Wow! Thank you for the very informative post. I really like the idea of going through the chapters with the video. After reading the reviews I dont think I could go with Lammle. Most books have pretty bad reviews, so Im thinking that I may just skip the books altogether this time. When I studied for my A+, Id have to say the books helped me the least (and they had great reviews). This is assuming the video training would be very good.

So far the only book that looks less than suck would be the Exam Cram. I myself read a few pages here and there while at B&N. Seemed pretty good and I was actually learning new stuff. Anyone have any input on this one?

FYI I wasnt asking about Transcender, it was actually TrainSignal :p
    TS is what I hear to be the CBT rival. One is supossedly more informative but will also put you to sleep.

As for my place, I would say 50/50. Some stuff would be review, rest would be new. So Id like to take the shortest route just like anyone, but I also want to retain the newly learned material.
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    I used Train Signal to pass Network+. I found CBT Nuggets to be more detailed from the couple of videos I watched. I didn't want to learn more than I needed to know since I wanted to take Network+ asap. I didn't know about Messer's videos til afterwards.
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Which one is best for the n10-004? Im not looking for the best bang for the buck, Im looking for which one is truely best. Obviously some of it is opinion so throw it out there. I prefer not to fall asleep and I really want to learn the material. TIA

TrainSignal Vs CBT Nuggets CCNA Video Training | Networks Training

The link posted above gives a comparison of CBT Nuggets vs Train Signal CCNA course. I think you can use this as a guide for what may be offered for the Network+ at these companies. I used Train Signal and Labsim/Test Out, and I preferred Testout over Train Signal. The great thing about Lam Sim is that there is someone talking to you and there is no white board. Also, there are virtual labs that you can do throughout the course. My favorite thing about Train Signal is that the level of customer service and media access you get can’t be matched by anyone else,at least in my opinion. I got DVD’s, IPOD, MP3 and online access for each product I ordered. I really think their package is one of the most assessable and more professional looking CBT products. Moreover, I got free server 2008R2 ( with over 5 hours of video) discs with each order , when they were giving these away with each order.

I used Labsim to pass the Network+ and you can get a student discount if you call them and provide some form of validation that you’re a college student.
    My advice download all the Demo’s for each vendor/certification video package you’re considering. Then purchase their product based off which one you like the best.

Good Luck..I hope this helps

Checkout Labsim/Testout at this links here
    Network+ Training - Order Today and Save on Network+ Online Training - LabSim
    LabSim Free Trial
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    thats only comparing ccna videos. instructors are different for the network+.
    i personally love cbt's style of whiteboards. its very classroom like.

also i dont think i would learn network+ without a book as there is a VERY wide range of topics covered. many numbers and detailed specifications that need to be remembered. The exam goes over a lot of length and distance as well as port numbers. If you dare, try your best to subnet really good. Search on the CCNA subforum for a thread called "Subnetting made Easy". it literally saved me a week before my exam.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree