Options

Basic paging in 8.5?

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
Are there any basic paging functions in CM 8.5? In an office with 50 phones, I just need the receptionists to be able page all phones. No special groups or special features, just basic all page like the pbx days.

EDIT: I'm not referring to paging with speakers (wall or ceiling) just paging to all the phones.

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Are there any basic paging functions in CM 8.5? In an office with 50 phones, I just need the receptionists to be able page all phones. No special groups or special features, just basic all page like the pbx days.

EDIT: I'm not referring to paging with speakers (wall or ceiling) just paging to all the phones.

I know the CME's have a paging system. Call manager hasnt' added one yet I dont' think. I know its been a requested feature. There are 3rd party apps that take care of that.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    In CUCM8.x there is an intercom feature that is available on 7941's(I think) and 7961's. It is a pretty simple configuration it looks like, but I'm not sure if it scales the way you want it to. (You may need to add the intercom extension to all the phones in order for it to work, it seems.)

I have not configured it, but you can see more info here: Cisco Unified Communications Manager Features and Services Guide, Release 8.0(1) - Intercom [Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CallManager)] - Cisco Systems

Other than that, the easy way if you have an overhead paging system (or are willing to get one) is to get an FXO card to go to an amp that will answer the call and send it out the overhead speakers. Just add a DN to the FXO card, plug it in, and call the number.

Also, there may be an external plugin you can invest in to provide that functionality. I have not researched that, though.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    I'm confused, CUCM Express can do one-to-many paging but full CUCM 8.5 can't?!

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express System Administrator Guide - Configuring Paging [Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express] - Cisco Systems
    After you have created two or more simple paging groups, you can unite them into combined paging groups. By creating combined paging groups, you provide phone users with the flexibility to page a small local paging group (for example, paging four phones in a store's jewelry department) or to page a combined set of several paging groups (for example, by paging a group that consists of both the jewelry department and the accessories department).
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    I'm confused, CUCM Express can do one-to-many paging but full CUCM 8.5 can't?!

Correct.

It blew my mind too. To my knowledge, your only option for this is an outside plug in which will cost money. This, as I said, I have not researched.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    I'm really dissapointed about this. I mean, you would think CUCM 8.5 would have it plus a few bells and whistles to go with it. That must've been a day were all the developers called in sick or something.... icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    This is a topic I made about the issue some months back. It may be of help:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccvp/59834-paging-groups-where-did-they-go.html
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Its not the developers its some politics involved. A good place to start would be a company named CDW/Berbee
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    shodown wrote: »
    Its not the developers its some politics involved. A good place to start would be a company named CDW/Berbee

Yeah, we have SP-BERBEE-250 on our quote. It looks like Berbee is now Singlewire and the product is called Informacast. The vendor I'm working with has deployed this on vmware so that's an option.
  • Options
    skinsFan202skinsFan202 Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bumping an old thread in case some were unaware. I just found out that Cisco entered an OEM agreement with Singlewire this year. This means the Informacast paging solution is now shipping with all new CUCM 9.1+ orders. It will be an ISO on a DVD that ships with the other CUCM discs and also comes with OVA template for installing in a virtual environment with CUCM. CUCM 8.5+ clusters will be able to support as well via a download from CCO provided the customer has an active ESW contract.

The basic paging feature (FREE) will support up to 50 phones in a group. If you want more than that, you'll need the advanced features which will require a license upgrade but come as a 60-day trial for users to be able to try out. It'll be able to do pre-recorded & live audio, notifications to Jabber, social media, etc. Pretty cool

https://communities.cisco.com/thread/31182
  • Options
    That's great news! Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    I've been using line groups containing all IP phones in each office with a hunt list/pilot to do ring all for years. Set the broadcast duration to about 15-16 seconds and all hunt options to stop hunting.

Good news on the Informacast, thanks for posting.
  • Options
    sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    this was disappointing for me too when I first found out. 9.1 there's basic (free) and an advanced feature version. advanced requires a license and has more bells and whistles. i'm piecing together my 9.1 lab now. so far i'm bidding on some 9971s and 7965s on eBay.

valcom has some paging units that are under $1000 for a full system if you can't wait to do 9.1
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow