Options

Senior engineer but not paid as one

PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
Well so after several months of searching for positions id like to go in I still haven't landed that ultimate role. I even had an interview at a popular British TV broadcaster last week, not enough commercial web based experience for that one.

However, my current company has promoted me to a senior role. I did receive a pay rise, but it most definitely isn't want id call a significant pay rise, infact it's a joke if I am honest. I do not feel like I am being paid to go into a senior role.

My question is, is being undervalued common? My manager reckons this is quite normal so companies don't pay out extra until the year after to see if the decision was worth it...Personally I really am frustrated, if you're gonna promote me, pay me as the market would. Right now, I am still committed to keep looking, I genuinely cannot believe they expect me to perform as a senior systems engineer and stay on my current salary.

Thoughts?
DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    It seems to me to be a fairly common. I check the job boards every now and then and see some senior level positions with a help desk rate. Even the position I'm currently in, senior engineer, until just a week ago was paying more like a junior admin. Took nearly 2 years before the raise came in. It is probably still true that you'll get the largest raise walking in the door so I'd keep searching.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    undomiel wrote: »
    It is probably still true that you'll get the largest raise walking in the door so I'd keep searching.

I think that's the key. Companies don't like to give you a huge bump in pay even when promoted. Comping in fresh you will have a lot more negotiating power on your side.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yeh good call, thanks.

The thing is though, does this make things worse for me now becoming a senior engineer in infrastructure?

I would like to try and switch at some point to a Linux/web admin full time, however my experience in that field is rather limited compared to infrastructure and managed services.

Dont get me wrong, this place is bareable, barely, but its bareable. I just have reached a stage where I know where I wan't to go and I am not sure of the path.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'd view the 'promotion' as a positive. If anything it'll help on your hunt for a new role and the extra duties will give you some good, useful experience. Unfortunately, its pretty common to get a bare minimum rise whilst your list of responsibilities has doubled whilst remaining in the same company.

I don't see why it would make things worse on your hunt, though you could always neglect to put 'senior' on your applications if you think it would.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln