Options

Destoy my resume-edit to have updated resume

jblake1986jblake1986 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
I want the Techexams members to look over my resume and tell me what you think. What needs changed, moved, etc. Any help is appreciated and please be as harsh as needed.
ICND1 Test Apr 23

Comments

• Options
    jmreichajmreicha Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    • Waaaay too much white space. I bet you could shrink that to one page if you tried.
    • Use bullet points to convey skills, it might break things up and make it easier to read/add to the flow.
    • Possibly think about moving certifications to the top.
    • Some of the formatting looks a bit off in your employment sections, ie unnatural indentation.

You have great experience but nobody will pay attention to your skills because your experience is so condensed. On first glance is difficult to skim through and even more difficult to read.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't like any of the margins the .7 in margin and the .25 in margins seems odd. I prefer the normal 1 in margins all around.
    Your font sizes in the education section are off.
    I don't care for the georgia font.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    First thing I see is punctuation. Some sentences have periods, others don't. Second (my personal opinion), is it would make it easier to read with bullet points. Right now, it is difficult to read and it all blends together.
  • Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    jblake1986 wrote: »
    I want the Techexams members to look over my resume and tell me what you think. What needs changed, moved, etc. Any help is appreciated and please be as harsh as needed.

I will tell you what I always say...Don't tell me what your job was, tell me what you actually did and how you did it better than everyone else.

For example, "Manage a team of 5 support staff..." Ok, I get you're a manager. I need a manager. Why are you better than the guy who just left? He had 5 people on staff also. Did your staff exceed metrics every month since you took over? Did staff evaluations improve by xxx percent over 6 months? Did you decrease turnover in your department by xxx? Give me accomplishments, not tasks.

EDIT:
    No one had posted when I started typing :P
    The other posters are right, the formatting sucks. Bulletpoints would do wonders for the readibility. Spread out the whitespace. I also would probably move the certifications to the top. If you dont, you risk getting disqualified by an HR person who doesn't read all the way to the bottom.
  • Options
    Here is the resume I got my current position with. Does this look more like what is needed? I tried to grow on this, but now that I look at this one it seems much more to the point
    ICND1 Test Apr 23
  • Options
    The second resume adresses some of the issues but there is no reason to have to bullets indented so much. Maybe to get it to look right try moving margins to the left, bumping font size, changing font, separating certifications and education into two columns.

You should also remove the hr and white space above the name.
  • Options
    Done.

Any other thoughts?
    ICND1 Test Apr 23
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    1. Higher certifications first. I would list the A+ last, that's probably the most entry-level of all certs. I dont even list it anymore.
    2. Move education up. Better still, have a section called Certifications/Education and put the degree in after the certs.
    3. Like the above posters said, still too much real estate is wasted. Take note of the indents in the bullet points.
    4. The font is hard to read. I have Trebuchet MS on my resume, perfect for a quick read.
    5. The resume itself is hard to read. It goes on and on like one the middle pages of a boring history text book. Get rid of the margins between sections. A RESUME SHOULD FLOW. Move the section headings to the centre and decrease the indent.
    6. In your current role, you have Primary Mac support and primary remote support in separate bullet points. Condense them into one. Or better, get rid of them, they look so out of place with the other bullet points.

No reason for your current resume to go beyond 2 pages, a resume should be highlighting your achievements and responsibilities. That's what it's all about. It might make you more interview-worthy if you had sections that went like -

XYZ Company Period of employment
    Title
    <line break>
    Responbilities:
    >
    >
    >
    <line break>
    Achievements:
    >
    >
    >

HTH!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    good advice already given, ill chime in when the 3rd version comes up :D
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I had a look at this in Word and you have tabs and tab markers all over the place. I thought I'd try rearranging items but the formatting is totally screwed. I'd dare suggest opening this document up in notepad, extracting all the raw information and starting over. Grab a template that appeals from Word or the Net and paste your info into that.
  • Options
    Third times the charm?
    ICND1 Test Apr 23
  • Options
    What are you using to edit your resume? In Microsoft Word the bullets still appear in the middle of the page and are somewhat of an eye sore. Like the previous poster mentioned, strip out all the formatting and just start over with a clean version. Fixing your margins and indentations this will GREATLY help the readability. Honestly, I haven't even been able to read the skills because the flow of the resume is so poor. And again, condensing this stuff down will also make it easier for people to read.

There are still random periods after some of the bullet points in the employment section.

I'm not a fan of listing certs/education in nested bullets, it should be separated out somehow.

Remove the final horizontal rule, it doesn't add anything to the resume.