network topology

forbiddenforestforbiddenforest Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi all
I m bit confused i have designed network topology in which I need to connect 3 campuses that are in three different cities. in my topology i have placed router in each campus an interconnect them with each other. Router#1->Router#2->Router#3->Router#1
fiber optic will be backbone line in my topology this fiber optic line may be leased from public telepone network. so for security I will connect 3 campurses using VPN in future we may purchase 2 mb E1 line for other purpose for these campuses.
few of my friends insist to use ASAs instead of routers becase it aslo provide routing as well as firewall functionality as few my esteemed engineer provide me some knowledge about ASA that ASA is not modular but in future we have to use E1 line. Can i use ASA instead of router does ASA support E1 line (E1 modules can be installed in ASA ?)
Regards
forbs

Comments

• Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    I just looked on Cisco.com and I did not anywhere where the ASA supports the E1/T1 cards.

My advice, if feasible, is get a router to do the routing and if you NEED the security features of an ASA get a small model like a 5505 or a 5510.

Otherwise, if your looking to consolidate jobs into one device, look into the ISR series routers. You can create a site to site VPN using IOS, and the ISR's have the ability to use both a NAC and an IPS module.

Either of these will give you the flexibility to start with fiber and add E1/T1 lines in the future.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • forbiddenforestforbiddenforest Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank you very much penzer
    regards
    forbs