CCNA Lab Questions

glouisglouis Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am a newbie, so no sarcasm please.

I have purchased 2 - 2950 - switches and 3 - 2600 routers. I am not sure what kind of cards / cables I need to hook these devices up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• jdfriesenjdfriesen Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The switches connect to the routers just with regular straight through patch cables. The router connections depend on the interfaces you have installed. DB60 DCE-DTE is probably the most likely, but if you have the WIC-2T interfaces, then you need the smaller smart serial cables. If you have the T1 card installed, that's yet another cable.
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    I got nm4-a/s and some DB60's for my serial connections. By using the 2950 and some VLANS you should be able to connect everything together and change the topology pretty fast.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    glouis wrote: »
    I am a newbie, so no sarcasm please.

I have purchased 2 - 2950 - switches and 3 - 2600 routers. I am not sure what kind of cards / cables I need to hook these devices up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

To connect the routers, without seeing your gear, I would say at a minimum you need 4 WIC-1T's, or just go ahead and put 2 WIC-1T modules in each, with DCE/DTE cables...that will let you connect each router to each other router.

If you went with 4 instead of 6, you would have a linear topology with the router with 2 WIC-1T's in the middle.

You could just do like the other poster said and put one WIC-2T module in each one and that will give you the triangular topology with the smaller smart cables.

Thats the router to router connections. To get to the switches, just use a straight through cable assuming the router has an ethernet port.
  • glouisglouis Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I appreciate the replies, thanks. I currently have 2 WIC 1T and 2 WIC 2T's, I guess I will have to get a couple of more by what everyone is saying.