Home lab I'm buying. Sanity check?

SteveThingSteveThing Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I've been browsing these forums for awhile and appreciate everyone who has given such great advice on hardware/software.

So I'm about to purchase the following:

3x 3640 routers (32F/128D)
3x NM-2E2W
2x WIC-2T
4x 2T to 2T crossover cables
1x C2950-24 (forget exact model)
1x C3550-24-SMI
1x C3550-24-PWR-EMI

I will be spending around $700USD including shipping, which is pretty awesome I think.

Gear I already own:
1xWIC-2T (stole it off ebay for $4.99 w/ free shipping!)
Cisco 871W ADSL router (wish I bought an 861W instead)
1xC2960-24TT-L
1,000 ft Cat-6
2xLaptops (plenty of uses for these)

Stuff I still need/want:
Access Terminal router (2511?)
Octal to 8xConsole cable (forget the name of it)
Couple 12 or 24 port Cat6 patch panels
12U Rack
VoiP setup (CE520 looks awesome, but pricey)
Access Points and Manager module/server

I'm hoping this gear will last me through my CCNA and CCNP. Suggestions or comments?

-Steve
CompTIA: Net+, Sec+
Aruba: ACMA, ACMP
Air Force:
2E251, 3D152, Fiber Installation Expert, Certified Cryptographic Network Professional, and a couple hundred useless certs on nothing important in real life (aka, Tree Killing+)

Comments

• JollycorkJollycork Member Posts: 149
    I'd suggest you get the NM-1FE2W & a NM-4A/S card for frame relay. Also get the WIC-1Ts.
    they will fit in the NM-1FE2W cards....
  • SteveThingSteveThing Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Jollycork wrote: »
    I'd suggest you get the NM-1FE2W & a NM-4A/S card for frame relay. Also get the WIC-1Ts.
    they will fit in the NM-1FE2W cards....

I thought WIC-2T to WIC-2T using a smart serial back-to-back (or rollover) supported frame relay. Am I mistaken?
    Air Force:
    2E251, 3D152, Fiber Installation Expert, Certified Cryptographic Network Professional, and a couple hundred useless certs on nothing important in real life (aka, Tree Killing+)
    Oh, I see... I need a 1FE1R2W, 1FE2W, or 2FE2W for the WIC-2Ts, crap. I'm still sure I can do Back-to-Back frame relay with those WIC cards though, right?
    Air Force:
  • lwwarnerlwwarner Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, you can use WIC-2T cards and SS cables for frame relay. That is how I have my lab setup. However, the problem you have with the cards you have picked out is this: "The NM-1E2W, NM-1E1R2W, and NM-2E2W Network Modules do not have enough performance power to support the WIC-2T due to hardware limitations."

If you want to use the WIC-2T cards in a LAN/WAN combo module you need to get the FE versions or use the straight NM-2W. You also need to be a bit careful about how fast you try to run the ports. See Understanding 2-Port Serial WAN Interface Card (WIC-2T) - Cisco Systems for more info.
    4Mbps is fine for my lab. Now to see if the seller has any FE modules instead... Good thing I didn't buy yet. Thank you!
    Air Force:
    If you want to use 2 WIC-2T cards in a single NM slot then you are limited to 2Mbps per port. Still enough for lab work...
    Just one WIC-2T per NM per router. Guess we'll see when I get the toys! icon_thumright.gif
    Air Force:
    That seems like really low port density, at least on whichever router is going to be your frame relay switch. Is there a reason you want to use that much real estate for so few ports? Just curious...

Also, a 12U rack seems small for what you are planning. You have 10U already used up before you get to your need/want list.
    I don't have the funds for more NMs or WICs this month, but I plan on expanding a bit. This is the core equipment I need. As far as racks, the short term need is a 12U, but if I can get the other gear, I will obviously need a larger rack (or another rack).
    Air Force:
  • seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103
    I second not getting the 12u rack. Especially with 3640's, they don't fit right on the bottem of the rack and that's the only place you can put them without it tipping over. Take my word on that.

I'm talking specifically about these kinds..

RACKSTAND12U.jpg
  • ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148
    seekrit wrote: »
    I second not getting the 12u rack. Especially with 3640's, they don't fit right on the bottem of the rack and that's the only place you can put them without it tipping over. Take my word on that.

I'm talking specifically about these kinds..

RACKSTAND12U.jpg

Yeah I started with one of those, they are simple, light and nice for a very small lab, but I ended-up going to the Skeletek C16 Rack, I have to agree though he's right that the larger (read: Deeper) units like 3550PoE's are a bit much for that rack.

If you are on a tight budget and are only going to have a couple 2600 series router and 2950 type switches that rack will be just fine.
    Z3r0

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
    c0op3r.com
  • hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    The 3640s are great, very versitile. only problem is they make the Pwoer meter spin like a top! The power company loved me when I was running mine ... but then again, the love me now with 5 servers, 9 routers, 8 switches, desktops, laptops, Home Theater ...

at one time, I used one as FR switch, Access server and also VoIP router. They are very capable of doing a great deal. the issue is finding the right modules as mentioned above.
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
    Goodness! Sounds like a fun little setup. Yeah, I don't plan on having the lab running for more than a couple hours a day. Luckily, I don't have to worry about the power meter where I am at.

I'm looking into getting a SharkRack or a nice Dell rack from ebay. Something like a 6 footer with front and rear posts and a couple fans on top. Something for down the road. In the mean time, I think some 3/4" plywood with proper bracing should be able to hold everything at 1/10th the price. I'll be sure to post pics of my rack along with sketchup drawings once I get the gear in.

Regards,
    Steve
    Air Force: