Options

Arch Exam 642-873 (CCDP)

124»

Comments

• Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    We're in the same boat! I'm actually working on ROUTE now since my BSCI was from May 2005. I'm finishing the last 2 chapters of the FLG and then starting on a series of labs and a brief OEG review before attempting the exam.

After ROUTE I'll be doing TShoot, QoS, BGP, and then MPLS (in that order most likely). It's just another reminder never to let your credentials expire... but in the long run the review is good for me since I haven't had to do much BGP or many Prefix lists in a while. I should have the CCDP/CCNP/CCIP complete/renewed (CCIP would be new for me) by either December or early 2012, depending how side tracked I get with work.

FWIW I still have my BCRAN, CIT, ISCW, ONT, etc. books from the previous CCNP exam attempts and I do refer back to them from time to time for things that we now take for granted... such as Token Ring and ISDN. You would be surprised how many clients still run Token Ring, Apple Talk, IPX, etc. due to legacy systems that are either too expensive or too complex to replace!

Oh yes and almost forgot, I also get to add Cisco Storage technologies (MDS and Nexus) to the list of the 2012 learning activities. I'm seeing more and more requests for FCoE using Nexus 5000 to various other devices (completed 5 installs of Nexus 4k --> Nexus 5k this year) so I'm interested in learning more. These will of course take a back seat to the CCIE prep.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I guess that learning is the name of the game....Well, my NP was never expired(was just renewed) but my BSCI is just beyond the three year point by a few weeks, so I would need to take just ROUTE as qualifier for CCIP.

Something seems wrong with that methodology. My NP is renewed and valid but you are not allowed to use that renewed credential to seek another certification. Seems somewhat illogical to me but I guess that those are the rules. :)icon_wink.gif

I guess that it keeps us all current.
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    The rules can be a huge pain! But since I last took BSCI they removed IGRP, IS-IS, Multicasting and added OSPFv3, IPv6, and a but more path/routing control. I think its a step in the right direction for the most part but it would have been nice to keep IS-IS in there because there are places that use it (ironically enough).

Likewise I actually have to reference the BCRAN for some of the ISDN DDR configs that a number of places use for backup connections.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm scheduled to take the ARCH exam on Sunday. I'm not completely confident but I'm attending a CEH class on Monday. I read the book. I think if it had animated demos or diagrams, it would definitely help get some of the concepts across since this is mostly theory based. I have the ARCH book, Quick reference guide, CBT Nuggets and had access to the INE videos. The INE videos are not very useful since it covers version 2.1. CBT Nuggets seem to be a recounting of the book ideas. It doesn't really expound or try to Ciorify the material to make it more engaging and interesting. Beware of the five sets of practice exam on the Cisco learning network since it's based on version 2.1. I was scratching my head at some of the questions on Nexus, VS something and a few others. The book is not a refresh or repeat of the Teare book, as it represents design methodologies versus the concept introduction and general design practices. This book takes it from the standpoint of you're the designer of a large enterprise with millions and millions of dollars in equipment. If you fudge a design, you cost your enterprise money. If you have a CCNP and taken a few of the other associate level tracks, most of the ideas and concepts are not foreign. The important thing is it ties everything together. I think this exam or topic is a little more difficult than routing/switching, security, voice, etc since it has zero labs or practical application to help reenforce the ideas. If I pass the exam, I'm going to take a little break, since I have a little princess on the way. But like others, I'm going to delve into CCIP. It's going to help provide a nice foundation for CCIE R&S.
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First off, good luck with the exam. icon_smile.gif As you said this exam was definitely different than studying for Routing or Switching. However, as you mentioned it does tend to pull a lot of the pieces together.

It was an interesting study and exam for me but others might a have different view. For me, it was definitely worth the time and effort to get the DP.

Good luck, It sounds to me like you are well prepared to take on the exam.icon_wink.gif

P.S. I agree with you about the CBT Nuggets. It seemed to me like all he was doing was reading the blueprint out loud. I got more by reading the Cisco materials than anything else.
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.