Options

CCIE Voice on hold!

KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
Well got some good news and some bad news.. I work for a managed service company and they are putting me on a different account which has no VoIP and no plans on going anytime soon.. which is a bummer since thats what Ive been studying for the past year solid.. on the good side its heavy Route/Switch work involving nexus, ace and some other cool technologies..

So here is my question to all you R/S Guys! I am thinking about switching gears to R/S but not sure what my first steps would be.. I was thinking ok start from the beginning with CCNP/IP.. so do you guys have any suggestions on study materials for the R/S etc?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    follow your passions. If you like voice I would continue doing voice. If Routing/Switching is what you like I would do that. As far as what you do at work. Learn all the routing/switching you can at your new job, combined with your voice and be ready for your next voice role.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Kelkin wrote: »
    I was thinking ok start from the beginning with CCNP/IP..
    That makes sense. Grab the Cisco Press CCNP Foundation and Exam Cert Guides for the ROUTE/SWITCH/TSHOOT Exams since they should help you with the new job.

The Doyle Routing TCP/IP volumes had been on the CCIE Voice Reading List, so that would be a good place to start (if you already haven't been there). But first read the parts that will help you do your new/current job better, then worry about the rest and the certifications and ramp up to the CCIE R&S.

The latest edition of the Cisco Press CCIE R&S Exam Certification Guide is also good to help you gauge the scope and depth of the CCIE R&S (along with the exam blueprints, of course).

Preparing for the lab is like working out. You have to make the comittment and do the time in the gym (lab) if you want to see results. And if you stop going to the gym (lab) for any amount of time, you may have to work slowly to get back into your old routine. If you were "getting close" to being Voice Lab Ready, you may want to add at least 3 1 hour "voice workouts" to your weekly study plan to try and maintain your current voice skills (just in case).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Kelkin wrote: »
    Well got some good news and some bad news.. I work for a managed service company and they are putting me on a different account which has no VoIP and no plans on going anytime soon.. which is a bummer since thats what Ive been studying for the past year solid.. on the good side its heavy Route/Switch work involving nexus, ace and some other cool technologies..

So here is my question to all you R/S Guys! I am thinking about switching gears to R/S but not sure what my first steps would be.. I was thinking ok start from the beginning with CCNP/IP.. so do you guys have any suggestions on study materials for the R/S etc?

Thanks guys!

Are you quite sure you want to do this? You have already invested a lot of time in CCIE Voice preparation. You could press on and get that finished. CCIE R&S would be a start from scratch for you and will not specifically help you with Nexus or ACE modules anyway.
  • Options
    KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    Are you quite sure you want to do this? You have already invested a lot of time in CCIE Voice preparation. You could press on and get that finished. CCIE R&S would be a start from scratch for you and will not specifically help you with Nexus or ACE modules anyway.

To be honest.. im not certain which way to go.. Your right I have invested alot of time in Voice but I havent done anything voice related at my current job.. I think im going to work out my study plan to be a balance between studying voice and studying those topics needed for my job.. Thanks guys for being my sounding board.. :)