Options

Work history question

AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
So when you apply for a job most places ask for your work history and sometimes contact info for previous jobs. Why do they do this? From what I understand companies aren't supposed to divulge any info about you unless they're used as a reference. This is always something I wondered but curious about it now 'cause I know someone who has been fired from every single job he has had and wondering if companies would even be able to find that sort of stuff out.

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Anonymouse wrote: »
    So when you apply for a job most places ask for your work history and sometimes contact info for previous jobs. Why do they do this? From what I understand companies aren't supposed to divulge any info about you unless they're used as a reference. This is always something I wondered but curious about it now 'cause I know someone who has been fired from every single job he has had and wondering if companies would even be able to find that sort of stuff out.

They can and will usually do this to verify your title and your dates.

Example, I can list project manager from 2006 - 2009 at Company XYZ, when they verify they can find out if you are lying on either you title/role and your dates.

I find that the corporations I work for now and previously have a verification line that will answer those two questions. I never list a managers phone number. They might be having a good day and then the next day a bad so. They can change their answers like the tides.

As far as your friend goes, he might be lucky and he might not. If he has a bunch of blocks of employment for short periods of time that is a red flag. So is going from a system admin to a helpdesk role to something etc. Up and down employment.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    N2IT wrote: »
    They can and will usually do this to verify your title and your dates.

I believe salary is fair game as well.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I see. I have a good friend who has left most jobs on bad terms or gotten fired. Kinda worried about how hard it will be for him to find a job in his mid-20's having no professional skills.
  • Options
    Andy GriffinAndy Griffin Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What often happens is that experienced HR reps have ways of finding things out "unofficially." Then, in order to avoid any possible legal complications, will not divulge to the applicant what was discovered, but will just use the "we are moving forward with applicants who more closely meet our needs" line.

In other words, while an HR rep at Company A may return an e-mail or phone call with just the basic facts (verifying employment dates, title, salrary), if he and the HR rep from Company B have a good relatioship, the HR rep from Company A may disclose "off the record" why Company B may not want to hire a particular applicant.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that it is the way things can happen.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have had a couple of jobs that as part of the offer required me to sign a disclosure statement allowing my former employer to disclose extra information, basically giving my consent to ask for stuff listed on the document.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Anonymouse wrote: »
    Why do they do this?

To control for the risk of making a negligent hiring decision.

Sad story, but my wife's best friend won a $10 million lawsuit against a company that made a negligent hiring decision that resulted in the death of a child. Long story short, basically a criminal background check wasn't done, and criminal history was there.

As far as what they can find out, what a potential employer can ask is really not limited by law, except that some states have weak laws that say something along the lines that a former employer cannot interfere with a current or former employee's job seeking by giving out false information.

However, most organization's of any size are going to have a policy in place for employment verification. In such cases, it's common to verify start date, termination date, last position held, and eligibility for rehire. It tends to be best from a legal standpoint to deal in these facts, rather than subjective and often emotional performance evaluations.

MS
  • Options
    Andy GriffinAndy Griffin Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    eMeS wrote: »
    To control for the risk of making a negligent hiring decision.

As far as what they can find out, what a potential employer can ask is really not limited by law

MS

Excellent point. Most companies are careful not because they would run afoul of statute, but rather fear the seemingly arbitrary and capricious nature of tort law.