SecureCRT?

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
I always hear CCIEs use SecureCRT in their labs. Why is this?

Currently I use Ubuntu so I just use the screen /dev/ttyUSBx command, telnet and ssh. Since I can do transparencies and tabs I just love it.

Just wanted people's input?
-Daniel

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    the labs went away from SecureCRT to putty. In normal work enviorments I use Secure CRT. When I have to work on someone eles box Putty

Why Secure CRT

I have hundreds customers and I have folders for each of them, with sub folders for location, and even further for devices if need be. Then I have all routers with a black/green screen, switches with a pastel/white/ firewalls with another color, and so on. So I always know what type of device I'm on when I have multiple windows open

I have the users name/passwords already saved, so I can just jump in once my VPN is up into there network.

Logs saved to a folder for each device when I'm working

Most important Feature TABS TABS TABS. I can have several devices open on one screen and have access to them to watch how other devices react to commands I put in.

Putty can do some of these features with add on's, but I like that secure CRT works out of the box. Worth the 100 bucks I run it on my MAC and PC.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I like SecureCRT but I wouldn't spend money on it if work didn't pay for it. I actually use putty connection manager most of the time anyway when at work. I prefer the layout and I'm just used to putty anyway.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am a teraterm man at heart, and have never got on with putty.

however at work with mutiply devices I see the appeal of SecureCRT, out of the three it is the most mature and complete out of the box. The scripting support is great and as has been mentioned "TABS", when working on 7 or 8 devices at one, these really come in ot there own.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I use SecureCRT exclusively. Love the tabs when working on multiple devices at once. Also a big fan of mapping command syntax and key sequences to single keys. I routinely map things like “Show voice port summary”, “show ip interface brief”, and “CTRL + SHIFT + 6 + X” to single function keys. The scripting support is pretty nice too.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    I always hear CCIEs use SecureCRT in their labs. Why is this?

Currently I use Ubuntu so I just use the screen /dev/ttyUSBx command, telnet and ssh. Since I can do transparencies and tabs I just love it.

I don't think most Cisco folks are very good with the command line, so they're probably not comfortable using Linux.
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    If I'm at home, I either use OS X or Linux so all I do is start up iTerm on the Mac for a tabbed terminal, or use the default one if I'm on Linux.

When I'm at work and forced to use Windows, I use Poderosa, but only because they wont pay for the licenses for SecureCRT for my department. Every other department gets it, but not us, despite the fact we have the biggest use case for it (I don't know of any other department that works on as many different devices that need to have tabs open as we do).

When I did have access to SecureCRT though, I found it great, definitely worth the money.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    most cisco folk not verry good with command line??? we spend our life on a command line, and if i am on linux i use the shell for ssh. i do love key mapping in secure crt, combined with scripting its very powerfull. the cli interface makes scure crt great for automatiion as well.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • BalantineBalantine Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Pretty sure that was supposed to be a joke. :)

Real Cisco engineers use SDM from their iPads you know.
    dulce bellum inexpertis