Please help me with sh ip route output, ?

FuturaFutura Member Posts: 191
See output below, I don;t get why it says: Variably Subnetted? Can you help? And it says that there are two networks connected to Serials? I only set one network up for the WAN link. 200.1 on one side and 200.11 on the other side.

Router1#

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status
FastEthernet0/0 192.168.10.1 YES NVRAM up up
Serial0/0 192.168.200.11 YES manual up up

C 192.168.10.0/24 is directly connected, FastEthernet0/0
192.168.200.0/24 is variably subnetted, 2 subnets, 2 masks
C 192.168.200.0/24 is directly connected, Serial0/0
C 192.168.200.1/32 is directly connected, Serial0/0

Router2#

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Prot
Serial0/0 192.168.200.1 YES NVRAM up up

192.168.200.0/24 is variably subnetted, 2 subnets, 2 masks
C 192.168.200.0/24 is directly connected, Serial0/0
C 192.168.200.11/32 is directly connected, Serial0/0

Comments

• MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    How did you setup your interfaces?

It doesn't say there are two network connected, it says there are two routes. One route for the /24 and one route for the more specific /32.
  • FuturaFutura Member Posts: 191
    all I did was go to each router and set each serial interface with an IP address and Subnet mask.

config t
    int ser 0/0 ip address 192.168.200.11 255.255.255.0 and then
    192.168.200.1 255.255.255.0 on the other one

I am trying to make a wan link with Wic 1t's and a DCE DTE Cable.

I can ping from each router to the other one fine too?

I'm lost....I don;t expect to see the /32 address in the routing table.icon_cry.gif
    Can you post your config?
    Router1#sh run
    Building configuration...

Current configuration : 1161 bytes
    !
    version 12.4
    service timestamps debug datetime msec
    service timestamps log datetime msec
    service password-encryption
    !
    hostname Router1
    !
    boot-start-marker
    boot-end-marker
    !
    !
    no aaa new-model
    !
    resource policy
    !
    mmi polling-interval 60
    no mmi auto-configure
    no mmi pvc
    mmi snmp-timeout 180
    ip subnet-zero
    ip cef
    !
    !
    !
    !
    no ip domain lookup
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/0
    ip address 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0
    speed auto
    !
    interface Serial0/0
    description Serial DCE
    ip address 192.168.100.1 255.255.255.0
    encapsulation ppp
    no fair-queue
    clock rate 64000
    !
    interface Serial1/0
    no ip address
    shutdown
    !
    ip classless
    !
    no ip http server
    no ip http secure-server
    !
    !
    control-plane
    !
    banner motd ^C
    Cisco 1760 Router 1 DCE
    ^C
    alias exec s sh ip int bri
    !
    line con 0
    exec-timeout 0 0
    password 7 14141B180F0B
    logging synchronous
    login
    line aux 0
    exec-timeout 0 0
    password 7 00071A150754
    logging synchronous
    login
    line vty 0 4
    exec-timeout 0 0
    password 7 00071A150754
    logging synchronous
    login
    line vty 5 15
    exec-timeout 0 0
    password 7 070C285F4D06
    logging synchronous
    login
    !
    end
    You sure this is the right config? Your serial interface has the wrong IP address in reference to your routing table output.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Futura wrote: »
    ip address 192.168.100.1 255.255.255.0
    encapsulation ppp

You're running PPP.

If you just put an IP address on both sides of your serial link (and set the clock rate for lab back-to-back cable) and use the default HDLC encapsulation, do you see that /32 route?

Do you see that /32 route show up when you add the encapsulation ppp command to both sides of the serial link?

PPP has the feature (back from the old dial-in modem days) to add a route to the dial-in peer to the routing table. And if you don't want (or need) the peer route, there a command for that.

This topic/feature of ppp is usually covered in the books where you first learn about ppp and convert your default hdlc serial link to ppp. Depending on the book(s) you're using to study, there's probably an exercise, lab, or example that should cover it. (Of course I could be flashing back to the old CCNP BCRAN exam, but I'm sure it was explained in the CCNA too).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You're running PPP.

"no peer neighbor-route" Is the command.

Amazing, I just spent a day wiping out my config and redoing everything, never thought to just try HDLC.

Quote from another site: PPP advertises its serial interface IP address to the other router, with a /32 prefix, which is a route to reach just that one host. So, both routers have a route with which to route packets to the other end of the link.

I watched the CBT Nuggets ICND 1 & 2 and read Exam Cram and no sign of this detail!!

Thanks for your help guys!! Appreciate it.,

Now I can move on to something more productive, instead of scratching my head...:D
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You're running PPP.

If you just put an IP address on both sides of your serial link (and set the clock rate for lab back-to-back cable) and use the default HDLC encapsulation, do you see that /32 route?

Do you see that /32 route show up when you add the encapsulation ppp command to both sides of the serial link?

PPP has the feature (back from the old dial-in modem days) to add a route to the dial-in peer to the routing table. And if you don't want (or need) the peer route, there a command for that.

This topic/feature of ppp is usually covered in the books where you first learn about ppp and convert your default hdlc serial link to ppp. Depending on the book(s) you're using to study, there's probably an exercise, lab, or example that should cover it. (Of course I could be flashing back to the old CCNP BCRAN exam, but I'm sure it was explained in the CCNA too).
    Odd, my professor told me it was "related to CIDR". I've been wondering about (the /32 route)
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Odd, my professor told me it was "related to CIDR". I've been wondering about (the /32 route)

Sounds like you need a better professor. icon_lol.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    He told me in these exact words when I asked about it: "it's related to CIDR, don't worry about it right now". I see now that it appears switching to PPP encapsulation on the WAN that it appears. Any clue why he would say that? Oh and for the record, MOST of my CCNA learning has been from self study at home, I feel like the class moves SOOOO slow and that we could get WAY more done. He often says "we could go back in the lab but you can do this on packet tracer". I'll admit, I have had a few questions answered just from listening in on lecture but beyond that I'd say most was learned from self study / observation.
    I'd hate to double post but can someone confirm that the /32 route is in no way related to CIDR? Why would my professor tell me this?
    Okay, found my answer here: https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3174274

I had forgotten the ones in my routing table were denote "L" for Local. Looks like I don't need a "better" professor afterall.