Terminal Server question?

NCITNCIT Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I know we newbies ask allot of questions about labs but I have been researching a question about terminal servers. I am currently working toward my CCENT so bare with me on some of the questions. I have read allot of posts about the 2509/11 and I like them but they cost allot for only terminal server access. In my research I found several posts on using a newer router for double duty and I was wondering if I would be able to do more than just double duty using a 26X1xm or a 3660? Would I be bale to do frame realy, terminal server and regular routing on 1 router? I also thought about a 1912 and setting up the ports as serial (if I could) terminal server only.

For my CCENT lab I am tentatively shooting for 2 - 2950's (1 is on the way) and 2 26XX's (1 2610xm is on it's way). The last one (for now) might be one of the ones I mentioned earlier. I would like to end up with three routers & switches but the TS is biting into my funds.

Thanks!

Comments

• alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, you can use a 2600, 2600XM, 3600, etc router as a terminal server, but you'll need to buy the NM-16a or NM-32a module. The modules cost as much as or more than a 2509, 2511 or 2512, so you're not really saving anything since you also need a router to slide it into. And are you referring to the Catalyst 1912? That's a switch, and can't do Frame Relay.

Now if you get a 3640 or 3660 that has multiple NM slots, you can put a NM-16a in one for terminal server duties, a NM-8a/s in another for frame relay duties, and have room for future growth. A 2600 with an NM-16a for terminal server duties and two WIC-2T's for Frame Relay duties is also an option.

If you're looking to save a few bucks, go with a Cyclades terminal server (see here), which you can often find dirt cheap and use a couple 2501 routers connected together as a frame relay switch (see here). If you're looking to consolidate functionality and minimize router count, then go with a 3600 router with multiple NM's.

And if budget is really an issue, just move the console cable around by hand. A terminal server is a convenience, it's definitely not a requirement.
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    For much less than the cost of a terminal server I just bought a bunch of USB/Serial cables and a USB Hub. I like it this way because I can have each router/switch with it's own session window open. I also set the color of the text for each window differently so it's easy to identify which window is which.
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    genXrcist wrote: »
    I like it this way because I can have each router/switch with it's own session window open.
    A terminal server such as a 2509/2511 can do that...
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    tiersten wrote: »
    A terminal server such as a 2509/2511 can do that...

Having never owned one I wasn't sure. With one serial connection to the terminal server and the terminal server connected to the other devices, how does one get a separate window each? In the CBTNugget videos I believe Jeremy C. had a terminal server but he always had to push a button or a keyboard sequence to switch between sessions.
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    genXrcist wrote: »
    Having never owned one I wasn't sure. With one serial connection to the terminal server and the terminal server connected to the other devices, how does one get a separate window each?
    You don't use the console port on the terminal server. Telnet to port 2000 to 2016 and it connects you to the corresponding serial line. Only 1 connection to each port at any one time but you can have all 16 ports open if you wish.

2000 to 2008 if its a 2509. 2000 to 2016 if its a 2511. If its a NM then check what lines are assigned.
  • NCITNCIT Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I see what your talking about Alan, I did a little research on those Frame Relay links and I was wondering if I picked up 2 - 2501's if that would be a enough to make my FR cloud? If I did pick up the 2501's it would be around 60 for 2, I would still need to pick up the cables.

In the terminal server area I picked up a 2511 tonight pretty cheap and I am able to make my own cables. Allot cheaper than the 200+ I have been looking at but at a little risk.

I knew the 1912 was a switch but I was thinking of trying to set it up as terminal server.

So if all goes well I should have a 2950T, 2610Xm, 2511 on the way and I will pickup a couple 2501's if I am correct in my thought process. I am going to hold off on the rest until I see how my gambles on the above make out. Thanks for the help!
    GenXrist I did look at the USB hubs and they are real inexpensive. I was thinking about going this way but I went with the TS as a the final option. I read in another post that one of the certs past the CCNA asks about the terminal server and I thought it would be money invested for the future.
    NCIT wrote: »
    I see what your talking about Alan, I did a little research on those Frame Relay links and I was wondering if I picked up 2 - 2501's if that would be a enough to make my FR cloud? If I did pick up the 2501's it would be around 60 for 2, I would still need to pick up the cables.

A four port FR cloud will be more than sufficient at this time. And if you go that direction, you have 2 additional routers to add to your topology when you're not doing Frame Relay.

Grab your serial cables from monoprice.com, they're $4 each. For the rollover cable, you can find them for $5 if you Google it, or you can make your own.
    NCIT wrote: »
    I knew the 1912 was a switch but I was thinking of trying to set it up as terminal server.

You can't use a switch as a terminal server, only a router with the correct interfaces, such as a 2511 or a 2600 with an NM-16a. Besides that, the 1900 series switches are nearly useless at this point. If you already have one, of course you can find some use for it, but do not spend money on them.
    I bought 2 2501's off of EBAY, plus 2 transceivers. I also ordered the cables from Monoprice, great price!

My 2950T arrived and my 2610XM should be arriving soon. So I powered up the 2950 and went in through the console and all looks good so far.

I should have done this before but I am trying to figure out my topology and what other wic/nm's I need. Planning on getting another 2950 and 26X1 soon. Right now it looks like I need 2 wic-t1's to connect to the 2501's. I am lost on whether to to get a NM-4E or NM-2F or is there another way to work it for the 2950's?
    Generally for routers, you want 2 serial interfaces, and an Ethernet interface. The 2610XM has one FastEthernet interface built in, so you don't really have to worry about adding more. A couple WIC-1T's should do it, and you can live with one for a while.

This early in your studies, there's no real rush to commit to and buy up everything immediately. What you already have is more than enough for the CCENT.
    I will order a wic-1t, maybe two if i find them cheap. Thanks for the help!

I received my two 2501's last night and my 2511 tonight, cables haven't arrived yet. I spent an hour last night trying to recover the password on one of the 2501's. At the end I failed as I missed one step. Tonight I received my 2511 and I am trying to find a setup to start out with. Haven't searched the site yet.