Options

Exchange 2010 - 3rd Attempt @ 70-662

2»

Comments

• Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Pdog wrote: »
    Slightly off topic,

But I have one question that has been bugging me, and I have seen it mentioned in this thread.

In vmware workstation how does one, configure the two separate forests to send email between both orgs?

I can create two separate forests but what additional configuration would be required to route mail between the two?

Would all machines have to be on the same IP network, would an additional server need to be configured as a switch / router?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Pdog

Hi Pdog,

I don't route at all. To simulate sending email between forests I just create DNS forwarders in each DNS server to point at the other forests DNS server. I then create appropriate MX records in each forward lookup zone. Everything is on the same subnet and all Servers and clients have static IP configurations so they are pointing to the correct DNS servers and I don't need to worry about the DHCP options a client is getting.
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    In VMWare you can create two different networks and assign each VM to the different networks.

I didn't quite go so far as to get GNS running and put some routers in, but I basically had a 7th VM running Windows Server and RRAS by itself and put two Virtual NICs in there.

That did my routing between both enterprises.

Running 8 VM's on my PC was a challenge, but my PC coped really well.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    gorebrush wrote: »
    In VMWare you can create two different networks and assign each VM to the different networks.

I didn't quite go so far as to get GNS running and put some routers in, but I basically had a 7th VM running Windows Server and RRAS by itself and put two Virtual NICs in there.

That did my routing between both enterprises.

Running 8 VM's on my PC was a challenge, but my PC coped really well.

With stuff like RRAS / DCs etc., you can easily reduce the memory / cores to a bear minimum once the server are up and running .. I am sometimes surprised with how low memory those server can run and still serve perfectly services such as DNS etc.

Or use Core for stuff like DC / DNS / RRAS etc.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I had 3 full blown Exchange servers in that environment :)

Had 8Gb of RAM in the system, though I am looking to upgrade to 16 now :)