2960 switch commands

solnsusiesolnsusie Member Posts: 128
hi
Im using on packet tracer a 2960 switch, and i cant enter this commands, "ip domain-name", "transport input SSH", "terminal monitor" and "crypto key generate rsa", could somebody explain it to me why????
Thanks

Comments

• tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should take the 3560 24-PS in packet tracer to be able to do that
  • okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    Probably not supported. Just a guess.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    solnsusie wrote: »
    hi
    Im using on packet tracer a 2960 switch, and i cant enter this commands, "ip domain-name", "transport input SSH", "terminal monitor" and "crypto key generate rsa", could somebody explain it to me why????
    Thanks
    It's a simulator -- and the command hasn't been implemented.
    Switch(config)#ip ?
      access-list      Named access-list
      default-gateway  Specify default gateway (if not routing IP)
      domain           IP DNS Resolver
      domain-lookup    Enable IP Domain Name System hostname translation
      ftp              FTP configuration commands
      host             Add an entry to the ip hostname table
      name-server      Specify address of name server to use
    Switch(config)#ip

Switch(config-line)#transport ?
      input   Define which protocols to use when connecting to the terminal server
      output  Define which protocols to use for outgoing connections
    Switch(config-line)#transport input ?
      all     All protocols
      none    No protocols
      telnet  TCP/IP Telnet protocol
    Switch(config-line)#transport input

Try another switch model and see if the command(s) have been implemented there.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • solnsusiesolnsusie Member Posts: 128
    mikej412 wrote: »
    It's a simulator -- and the command hasn't been implemented.
    Switch(config)#ip ?
      access-list      Named access-list
      default-gateway  Specify default gateway (if not routing IP)
      domain           IP DNS Resolver
      domain-lookup    Enable IP Domain Name System hostname translation
      ftp              FTP configuration commands
      host             Add an entry to the ip hostname table
      name-server      Specify address of name server to use
    Switch(config)#ip

Switch(config-line)#transport ?
      input   Define which protocols to use when connecting to the terminal server
      output  Define which protocols to use for outgoing connections
    Switch(config-line)#transport input ?
      all     All protocols
      none    No protocols
      telnet  TCP/IP Telnet protocol
    Switch(config-line)#transport input

Try another switch model and see if the command(s) have been implemented there.
    thanks for all your replys, how do i transfer all the settings from one switch to another, since i configured it with a lot of settings??
    # show run

Copy -> Paste
    Besides the Copy and Past option from the CLI, there is an export and load option on the Config Tab.
    there is an export and load option on the Config Tab.

Damn, so true!

Our first teacher wasn't very helpful.
    I learnt that i could paste into a GNS3 console in the 3rd semester of my CCNA and it was our voice teacher who said us, to do a text file, so we can always paste the same basic configs into the console...to save time

We were...."uh?"... Why haven't we learnt it before? lol
    Besides the Copy and Past option from the CLI, there is an export and load option on the Config Tab.
    oh! thanks, thats a beutifull option,
    You should take the 3560 24-PS in packet tracer to be able to do that
    i did changed to the 3560 switch, but now a diffrent problem, the "show port-security" command dosn't work,,,,, ???????
    thanks
    i did changed to the 3560 switch, but now a diffrent problem, the "show port-security" command dosn't work,,,,, ???????
    thanks

2960 support it :)
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    And next time someone asks me why I refuse to use Packet Tracer, I can just point them to this thread. icon_twisted.gif
    alan2308 wrote: »
    And next time someone asks me why I refuse to use Packet Tracer, I can just point them to this thread. icon_twisted.gif
    hay! i dont think its Packet Tracer, its the switch.........icon_sad.gif
    2960 support it :)
    so how can i see the status of port security on the 3560???icon_scratch.gif
    Command isn't implemented, use the 2960 to test port security.
    hay! i dont think its Packet Tracer, its the switch.........icon_sad.gif

But you said you were using Packet Tracer... icon_scratch.gif

For the record, ip domain-name and show port-security both work just fine even on a lowly 2900XL.

For the record, ip domain-name and show port-security both work just fine even on a lowly 2900XL.
    please explain how and where it works??? i tryed and its not working on my 2960 switch!!!!

oh! by the way, why cant i use the "vtp pruning" command?????
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□

Packet Tracer is an IOS simulator, and if a feature is not supported on a device, it won't be supported in the simulator. What he was saying is that the limitation is in the device, not the simulator.

I actually don't understand why people do not take advantage of emulators like GNS3 and packet tracer. There is no quicker way to create environments on the fly when you have an idea in your head. You can have it on your computer/laptop so when you're on the go and away from your lab you can still practice. Its a great tool.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    chmorin wrote: »
    Packet Tracer is an IOS simulator, and if a feature is not supported on a device, it won't be supported in the simulator. What he was saying is that the limitation is in the device, not the simulator.

I actually don't understand why people do not take advantage of emulators like GNS3 and packet tracer. There is no quicker way to create environments on the fly when you have an idea in your head. You can have it on your computer/laptop so when you're on the go and away from your lab you can still practice. Its a great tool.
    thats exectlly what i said!!!!!icon_thumright.gif

The command is in the CCNA Security curriculum, which was written for the 2960 switch. It also works just fine on the 2960's at school, in fact I just did the switch security lab Tuesday.

The issue here is not the 2960 switch, it's which commands and features that the developers of packet tracer chose to support or not support.

I do have GNS3 and Packet Tracer on the laptop for when I'm on the go. But for me, working with real gear is much more fun. icon_mrgreen.gif
    Packet Tracer is an IOS simulator, and if a feature is not supported on a device, it won't be supported in the simulator.
    Packet Tracer is a simulator. If the feature IS SUPPORTED BY THE REAL HARDWARE DEVICE, it still may NOT be supported in a packet tracer unless some programmer has written the code to make it look like it's been implemented.

Packet tracer only implements a limited subset of commands that the real devices support.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Packet Tracer is a simulator. If the feature IS SUPPORTED BY THE REAL HARDWARE DEVICE, it still may NOT be supported in a packet tracer unless some programmer has written the code to make it look like it's been implemented.

Packet tracer only implements a limited subset of commands that the real devices support.

I don't think he gets it.
    phoeneous wrote: »
    I don't think he gets it.

I abandoned :)