Cisco router 2524 usb/com1

martinondrusmartinondrus Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
can someone help me with this? I have Cisco router and trying to configure it using console cable. My PC does not have serial port, got some adapter for serial/USB. Now, when open Hyper Terminal all I can see is TCP/IP option only.
thanks!

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Use PuTTY and select the serial option. Hyperterm is crap.
  • Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    Hi,

Check your device manager (assuming you're using windows) if the usb serial port has installed correctly then it will show here. These things sometimes need a reboot but if, after this you can see the device and com port in device manager and HT still can't then download Putty - it's better anywayicon_wink.gif
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    Make sure you have installed the driver for the adaptor.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hey there,

USB/Serial adaptors are VERY problematic and normally not going to work under Vista and Windows 7 x64 bit editions. Ensure you have the 32bit edition installed then install the driver. It should appear at COM3 at that point.

Ideally though you would move to Ubuntu for managing your Cisco equipment. The native screen and ssh commands will make your life easier. PLUS tabs, PLUS it's a very easy on the eyes. Trust me, after hour 5 putty makes your full of rage.
    -Daniel
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    USB/Serial adaptors are VERY problematic and normally not going to work under Vista and Windows 7 x64 bit editions.
    Works fine for me on multiple 64 bit machines. I didn't have to do anything special at all to get these various adapters working. I've got Prolific and FTDI based ones and both are fine on 32 bit and 64 bit Windows and Linux.
    It should appear at COM3 at that point.
    Not always. You should always check in Device Manager as the COM port allocations are strange sometimes.
  • martinondrusmartinondrus Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the feedback! work in progress...will keep you posted
  • martinondrusmartinondrus Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    this is turning to be rather interesting project :). Long story short, to make this work on Windows 7 64bit I need driver for F5U409 USB PDA Adapter.
    Any helpful sites?
    thanks! almost thereicon_study.gif
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It should appear at COM3 at that point.

Mine appeared as COM4 by default. Either way, you can change it in device manager.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens