Options

Subnetting and wire colours and blah

Ed1975Ed1975 Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm wondering how important these two are on the exam. The number work involved in subnetting gives me headaches. I can do the binary math stuff but that seems more straightforward. Surely there can't be more than about 5 subnetting questions on the entire exam?

Also, do you really need to know the wire colour configurations for the 568A/568B wires? Are they really important for the exam?

Then there's remembering the differences between ATM and Frame Relay, and, for example, in another area, RIP and BGP.

There seem to be quite many technologies and concepts which are closely related and I find the differences between them hazy and hard to keep in mind. Same with distance-vector and link state routing protocols - I find it hard to pinpoint the differences between them. They both do pretty much the same thing in not too different a way as far as I can see.

In how much detail are we to be able to differentiate between these very specific kinds of technologies?

Finally can someone recommend some useful things to do - in terms of passing the exam - with the Sybex Virtual Lab?

I heard some ppl talking about "NetSim" - is that the same program?

Thanks in advance for your input :)

Comments

• Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well I see you are using Sybex material. They normally include exam criteria in the beginning of the book. Also make sure you download:-

Download Exam Objectives

You should learn whatever the criteria says you should be able to do. And use the study material to cover anything the author/instructors think its worth you doing. The difference between distance vector and link state is very different in routing protocol technologyy but I never remember there being much detail in N+ about this stuff, just the differences.

Good luck.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Reading your comments here, I believe you are going about this the wrong way. NET+ is a vendor neutral exam and one of the early exams IT folks take IF they desire pursuing a career in IT where network maintenance, troubleshooting and the like are a big part (which even if you want to hide back in a basic role, will find that knowing how the network works will be a big livesaver).

With this said you comment:

Ed1975 wrote: »
    I'm wondering how important these two are on the exam. The number work involved in subnetting gives me headaches. I can do the binary math stuff but that seems more straightforward. Surely there can't be more than about 5 subnetting questions on the entire exam?

learntosubnet.com is a nice site that has assisted numerous folks with getting the basics underneath them.

If you are going to worry about the exam and the amount of questions on subnetting, delay the exam to a time when you are more prepared.

You are not taking a CCNA or more advanced style exam, you are taking a basic level exam with NET+. And it is recommend the candidate has 2 years (IIRC) experience before taking this exam.

Also, do you really need to know the wire colour configurations for the 568A/568B wires? Are they really important for the exam?

Again, delay your exam. It doesn't sound as though you are ready. This isn't something to know for the exam perse, it is something to know/be aware of for your career.

Then there's remembering the differences between ATM and Frame Relay, and, for example, in another area, RIP and BGP.

There seem to be quite many technologies and concepts which are closely related and I find the differences between them hazy and hard to keep in mind. Same with distance-vector and link state routing protocols - I find it hard to pinpoint the differences between them. They both do pretty much the same thing in not too different a way as far as I can see.

In how much detail are we to be able to differentiate between these very specific kinds of technologies?

Finally can someone recommend some useful things to do - in terms of passing the exam - with the Sybex Virtual Lab?

I heard some ppl talking about "NetSim" - is that the same program?

Thanks in advance for your input :)

Seriously, I think you are rushing into an exam that you just are not ready to take.

Sybex is a great text. You may find others out there you enjoy as well, but you seem to need a great deal more hands-on experience at this point.

What type of a lab do you have for yourself to practice in? IF you have nothing, than it is time to locate some discarded equipment and set yourself up some basic networks. Draw out some designs and set up the parts, test, break, repeat.

However, if this material doesn't interest you, that is ok too. Find a part in the IT field you do find interesting and study that area. You could work with Databases, VoIP (though knowing about networking will be where you want to start here), PC repair (single system, no networking knowledge outside of the single box to the NET...so very simple networking knowledge), PC/Server building, product testing, helpdesk, ect...

Networking is not fun for everyone. So find a career path that is exciting and go that route. If this is what you do want, then give yourself more time and get some hands-on practice.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Sorry Plantwiz I don't agree. I mean I am not undermining what you have said, it's still valid in parts. But the point is, he/her is here to ask questions regarding the Network+ exam and the criteria

CompTIA Network+

Comptia actually do state 9 months networking experience is recommended but no proof is required before applying to take a seat in an exam.

There is no harm in him/her being here and asking questions regarding the exam (there was no mention of when planning to take the exam either). As you have mentioned Network+ is entry level but the point is, the exam can be passed with a passing score by studying the required exam criteria. Not being ready by not actually knowing what is on the exam criteria and recommended learning compared to not actually knowing the material in the criteria are two different things. I could apply for aviator lessons to get a pilot license but then go and study about how to sail a boat.

Realistically some of the things you have mentioned you will only gain knowledge in when you do these things day to day. How many of us cut up utp cables daily to different sizes and then run pair testers on them? Very few will and it's irrelevant to his/her questions.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    I stand corrected 9 months not 2 years.
    Pash wrote: »
    Sorry Plantwiz I don't agree. I mean I am not undermining what you have said, it's still valid in parts. But the point is, he/her is here to ask questions regarding the Network+ exam and the criteria

CompTIA Network+

Comptia actually do state 9 months networking experience is recommended but no proof is required before applying to take a seat in an exam.

With the above stated, I do not know what you doing with regard to your below comment.
    There is no harm in him/her being here and asking questions regarding the exam (there was no mention of when planning to take the exam either). As you have mentioned Network+ is entry level but the point is, the exam can be passed with a passing score by studying the required exam criteria. Not being ready by not actually knowing what is on the exam criteria and recommended learning compared to not actually knowing the material in the criteria are two different things. I could apply for aviator lessons to get a pilot license but then go and study about how to sail a boat.

Realistically some of the things you have mentioned you will only gain knowledge in when you do these things day to day. How many of us cut up utp cables daily to different sizes and then run pair testers on them? Very few will and it's irrelevant to his/her questions.

PM me if you care to discuss this further. I didn't want to pull your comment to censor you. You have a right to your opinion. However, when there is an issue with another poster, PM them.

The OP asked questions and clearly needs more experience with these components.

As far as 'who' has experience prior to their exam, I did and I know many who have.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    I stand corrected 9 months not 2 years.

With the above stated, I do not know what you doing with regard to your below comment.

PM me if you care to discuss this further. I didn't want to pull your comment to censor you. You have a right to your opinion. However, when there is an issue with another poster, PM them.

The OP asked questions and clearly needs more experience with these components.

As far as 'who' has experience prior to their exam, I did and I know many who have.

I don't have an issue at all and that's why I didn't PM you actually :)

Sorry I guess I didnt get my point accross well. All I am saying is, its more relevant at this stage for Ed to be reading the exam criteria rather than honestly believing that they may not be ready for an exam based on a few questions they are asking on techexams
  • Options
    Pash wrote: »
    I don't have an issue at all and that's why I didn't PM you actually :)

Sorry I guess I didn't get my point across well. All I am saying is, its more relevant at this stage for Ed to be reading the exam criteria rather than honestly believing that they may not be ready for an exam based on a few questions they are asking on techexams

Nope, that is not how I read the initial post. Thank you for clarifying.

I'm also satisfied with my advice which is consistent to how I respond to just about everyone who is trying to rush through material to take an exam. In the work place, I want to work with people who CARE about learning and strive to learn new material rather than merely learning how to answer questions on exams.

There should be no rush to take an exam, and if one doesn't have experience it is generally in their best interest to obtain some experience. Typically, once that happens...the individual tends to find things they READ after they've handled the object/objects becomes much more clear.

Experience is a great teacher and it seems to be more and more disregarded as the way to go.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Nope, that is not how I read the initial post. Thank you for clarifying.

I'm also satisfied with my advice which is consistent to how I respond to just about everyone who is trying to rush through material to take an exam. In the work place, I want to work with people who CARE about learning and strive to learn new material rather than merely learning how to answer questions on exams.

There should be no rush to take an exam, and if one doesn't have experience it is generally in their best interest to obtain some experience. Typically, once that happens...the individual tends to find things they READ after they've handled the object/objects becomes much more clear.

Experience is a great teacher and it seems to be more and more disregarded as the way to go.

I agree with what you said. But, how much experience does one has to have?

Does everyone passing Network+ have experience with WAN technologies and hardware like CSU/DSU?

I don't have any experience with a CSU/DSU. May be a little of structured cabling. I know that SONET doesn't have anything to do with English literature.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    certhelp wrote: »
    I agree with what you said. But, how much experience does one has to have?

"Although not a prerequisite, it is recommended that CompTIA Network+ candidates have at least nine months of experience in network support or administration or academic training, along with a CompTIA A+ certification."

When I took it I had like 6 months of structured cabling experience + an A.A.S. in networking technologies. I could have passed the network+ without studing.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    Priston wrote: »
    "Although not a prerequisite, it is recommended that CompTIA Network+ candidates have at least nine months of experience in network support or administration or academic training, along with a CompTIA A+ certification."

When I took it I had like 6 months of structured cabling experience + an A.A.S. in networking technologies. I could have passed the network+ without studing.

People do take Network+ exam before A.A.S. But structured cabling isn't the only topic/objective in Network+. It covers wide range of topics.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    certhelp wrote: »
    People do take Network+ exam before A.A.S. But structured cabling isn't the only topic/objective in Network+. It covers wide range of topics.
    I'm just saying experience is not a prerequisite. It will help make it easy to pass and give you less to worry about when your studing.

You'll learn alot more making a crossover cable then looking at a crossover cable or reading about how to make a crossover cable. But on the other hand actually making a crossover cable isn't on the objectives, you simply need to know how to make it. But the best way to learn how to make it is by making it. But just because it's the best way to learn doesn't mean it's the only way to learn.

Also, my education from the A.A.S. degree barely helped me on the test. I felt like 60% of the test was stuff I learned from my work experience.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Thanks Plantwiz for the encouragement icon_sad.gif
    Thanks to everyone else.
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    It's been a while since my Net+. Given it's an entry level cert, I can't see the scope depth of knowledge has changed a great deal. In that light from my experience with it. I would say you wouldn't have to memorize the exact pin layout of cabling. Though I would know the difference between a straight through vs a cross over. As well as the general maximum length of the various cabling.

The same goes for the routing protocols. As long as you understand the differences at a high level. You should do ok on the exam. The exam didn't seem to go into in-depth knowledge required.

Regarding sub-netting: My understanding is there's a calculator available on the exam itself ?. If that's the case, as long as you can subnet well enough with use of a calculator. That should get you through fine. Though if it was me, I would spend time learning it quite well. It is a useful skill in the real world. Plus if you consider moving on to ccna. You will need to know & be able to subnet much faster than Net+. So learning it well now, may be of benefit in the future. Especially if you want a career in networking.

In general I wouldn't sweat it to the point of trying to memorize every little detail. Net+ isn't that difficult. Much of the details and skills i.e sub-netting in your head. Will come with experience, practice & as you move onto higher level certifications like Cisco.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    kvermillion1kvermillion1 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ed, you really will need to know the difference between all the WAN technologies. I would suggest knowing the min speeds, medium used, and also know in what situation each is best used for.

There won't be many subnetting questions on the exam, just a few, BUT you will not have a calculator, and you need to understand the concept of subnetting and supernetting and be able to apply this given a specific IP address. KNOW THIS

Same with routing protocols, you MUST know the difference between the two and know advantages of each.

for 568A and B just memorize the starting pattern of one of them, and you can differentiate the 2 easily.

This though is an entry level exam, you cannot cut corners and expect to pass, you must know all the information, its specifics and applications. You will be hit with questions from all angles on this exam. Nothing will be left out. 100 questions.
    :study: Certified: CompTIA Network+, Security+
    Up Next: CCNA, MCITP: SA(70-640,70-642,70-646)
  • Options
    Thanks Kvermillion for your reply. That's useful advice. I'm onto my third Network+ textbook now and some of the problem areas I mentioned are starting to gel a bit. Some of the problem stuff I'm reading is starting to stick.
    I know I have to pay extra attention to them - thanks.