Options

A sample of a Frame Relay topology

thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
i created a frame relay topology 10 minutes ago. Also, i managed to make it run. However, without no auto-summary command under end of the eigrp config on routers, routing didn't work. But it should have been because i had specified no autosummarization by entering wildcard for each advertised routes.

Why not without no auto summary?

I'll uploaded it for you to check it out. OK, here is the link ;

http://rapidshare.com/files/451547852/Frame_relay_ozg_networking.pkt
Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The problem is that you have discontinuous networks, which makes it unclear where to send certain packets when auto-summary is enabled. Both routers have routes to 10.0.0.0/8, so when a packet for either of those networks comes into a router, which way should it go? Router0 is going to want to send all packets for 10.0.0.0 to it's connected LAN, so anything for 10.6.1.0 will never be sent to Router1 so it'll never get to it's intended host on LAN 2.

Change the addressing on one of the LAN's to something outside of the 10.0.0.0/8 classfull network (such as 192.168.0.0/24) and everything will work as expected, even with auto-summary enabled.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm not downloading anything, but the use of a wilcard mask does not remove auto summerization. The network statements only job is to tell the router what interface to run EIGRP on. It has no influence on what mask is advertised in routing updates.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    The problem is that you have discontinuous networks, which makes it unclear where to send certain packets when auto-summary is enabled. Both routers have routes to 10.0.0.0/8, so when a packet for either of those networks comes into a router, which way should it go? Router0 is going to want to send all packets for 10.0.0.0 to it's connected LAN, so anything for 10.6.1.0 will never be sent to Router1 so it'll never get to it's intended host on LAN 2.

Change the addressing on one of the LAN's to something outside of the 10.0.0.0/8 classfull network (such as 192.168.0.0/24) and everything will work as expected, even with auto-summary enabled.

I know what discontiguous network is. Here, both networks (10.5.1.0 and 10.6.1.0) are subnetworks of a major network. Also, among them i configured a very different network. So there is a discontiguous structure.

However, i thought that when i typed network 10.5.1.0 0.0.0.255 with 10.6.1.0 0.0.0.255 means wildcards were able to save them off auto summary and as a result, they appear 10.5.1.0 and 10.6.1.0.

Well, how about if i used 10.7.1.0/24 among these two? Discontiguous
    structure would be broken. Thats why, no auto summary shouldn't be
    necessary that time ?
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Options
    I don't think you are quite understanding the network statement or auto summary.

Auto summary will summarize to the classfull boundary of 10.0.0.0/8. No matter what you use inside of that classfull network auto summary will break it.
  • Options
    I don't think you are quite understanding the network statement or auto summary.

Auto summary will summarize to the classfull boundary of 10.0.0.0/8. No matter what you use inside of that classfull network auto summary will break it.

Do you mean that typing wildcard on the network statement is useless and summarization occurs unless entering "no auto-summary" every time?

• Options
    thedrama wrote: »
    Do you mean that typing wildcard on the network statement is useless and summarization occurs unless entering "no auto-summary" every time?

If auto summarization is enabled, then yes, the wild card is not very useful. But it depends on what routing protocol you're using whether or not auto-summary is enabled by default. In RIPv2 and EIGRP, it is enabled by default. In OSPF it is not.

This is why you'll often hear Jeremy Cioara say "when I see "auto" anything in Cisco, it reminds me that I "auto" not use it."
  • Options

The network statement is ONLY used to identify the interface to run EIGRP on. It has nothing to do with summary or anything like that.
  • Options
    Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326

Yeah,I think you are confused about the network statement.

when you enter '10.5.1.0 0.0.0.255 ' this does not relate to 10.5.1.0 being a /24 subnet - it just means inculde anything where the mask is all 1s (the fourth octet in this case) as long as the first three are 10.5.1 (ie where the mask is all zeros) So this statement could include the network 10.5.1.0 /25 and 10.1.5.128 /25 or a whole bundle of /30 subnets.

it is just used to identify which interfaces/networks to include in the EIGRP process

But if you don't turn off auto summary all the other routers are going to see is 10.0.0.0/8 and from 2 directions!
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • Options
    Thanks for the help.

Here comes another question about summarization. To make sure, i examined
    that topic again. As i have searched, RIPv2 and EIGRP auto summarize by default. Moreover, EIGRP performs this at classful boundaries.

According to these, in order to avoid auto summary issue i tried slash notation other than /24 /16 and /8 such as by selecting /23 for each LAN. However, it didn't work without no auto-summary command. Is it caused by another Packet Tracer bug?

My networks are ;

(LAN) 172.16.30.0 /23 , (LAN) 172.16.40.0/23 10.3.1.0/24

Note: i am talking about different sample i set up before. (not the frame relay
    topology)

• Options
    Thanks for the help.

that topic again. As i have searched, RIPv2 and EIGRP auto summarize by default. Moreover, EIGRP performs this at classful boundaries.

According to these, in order to avoid auto summary issue i tried slash notation other than /24 /16 and /8 such as by selecting /23 for each LAN. However, it didn't work without no auto-summary command. Is it caused by another Packet Tracer bug?

My networks are ;

topology)

Yes, RIPv2 and EIGRP auto-summarize based on classful boundaries by default, and OSPF will do the same if you manually enable it. That's how auto-summary works. It's called auto-summary because it summarizes your networks automatically. There's no bugs, it's supposed to do that.

In most cases, it's best to just disable auto-summary and not become frustrated by things that are actually working as they should.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help.

My networks are ;

topology)

I think you are still missing the point. Auto summarisation will always advertise networks with their default standard prefix length.

So in you rcase 172.16.30.0 will be advertised as 172.16.0.0/16 as it is 172.16.x.x IS a class B network!

10.3.1.0 will be advertised as 10.0.0.0/8 as 10.x.x.x is a class A network.

The only way to change this and advertise your VLSM subnets is to disable auto summary ..... ie 'no auto-summary' under the EIRGP process
  • Options
    Also, if you're concerbned about packet tracer bugs, don't use it!! get GNS 3 and at least you know that if you come across a bug then it's an IOS bug.
  • Options
    Chris_ wrote: »
    I think you are still missing the point. Auto summarisation will always advertise networks with their default standard prefix length.

So in you rcase 172.16.30.0 will be advertised as 172.16.0.0/16 as it is 172.16.x.x IS a class B network!

10.3.1.0 will be advertised as 10.0.0.0/8 as 10.x.x.x is a class A network.

The only way to change this and advertise your VLSM subnets is to disable auto summary ..... ie 'no auto-summary' under the EIRGP process

I got it now. if i am not willing to be caught by autosummarization, i am supposed to suppress it by "no auto-summary" command every time.

Grateful to you for the situation.