Options

"Revolving door" in IT dept

arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
There's a local hospital (actually a surgical center) that has the same "IT Analyst" job come up every three to six months or so. The pay they're advertising is pretty good for this area, but with the apparent rate of turnover (they aren't expanding) I'm wondering if there's some poor management going on. If you got an interview with them, would you make mention of the apparent turnover rate?
[size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
What's left: Graduation![/size]

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I wouldn't mention it, but I would ask why the position is open. Maybe they have had a bad run of people.

How are you so sure they are not expanding?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know of someone in the business office there. She doesn't know much of anything about their IT dept, but she does know they've had about the same number of employees for a while now.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Maybe they have had a bad run of people

+1. That could be a possibility. Some places have particular corporate cultures where not everyone fits in, no matter what they say during the interview process. I witnessed this at a previous job. They went through 5 hires in a year before they found the right fit.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Some places have particular corporate cultures where not everyone fits in, no matter what they say during the interview process.

That, and the people previously hired could have lied through their back teeth during the interview process and have subsequently been found out to be way out of their depth on a tech level as well.

There could be many reasons, I wouldn't let it put you of applying as that way you can gauge for yourself.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bertieb wrote: »
    That, and the people previously hired could have lied through their back teeth during the interview process and have subsequently been found out to be way out of their depth on a tech level as well.

There could be many reasons, I wouldn't let it put you of applying as that way you can gauge for yourself.

This very well could be the case. I know many places around here will have "grace period" of 90 days or so where you are technically a temp employee until they decide (after the 90 days) to keep you on board. It is possible the previous employees were not retained after such a period.
  • Options
    westwardwestward Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Shoot that sounds like an opportunity.

If it has bad management, then go one step up, and try to get a job replacing the bad manager, instead of working under them! Perhaps...

What are the requirements/quals for the job - is it a low end one? I'd be curious, thanks!
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This very well could be the case. I know many places around here will have "grace period" of 90 days or so where you are technically a temp employee until they decide (after the 90 days) to keep you on board. It is possible the previous employees were not retained after such a period.

I have always known that to be the "probation period" and that's both in the public and private sectors.

That is the period where you want your "i"s dotted and "t"s crossed. Be at work on time, or early, show enthusiasm, blah blah blah. I have seen people mess that up and NOT get made permanent upon completion of the probation.

Personally, I feel that if it takes hiring 10 people to find "the one", then the interview/screening process must be a joke. You don't want to waste your time, or the hire's if you're not gonna be a good fit. Of course, the applicant shouldn't try to make himself appear to be something he's not, but that's what's gonna happen in a bad economy. All the more reason why the screening process should be "tight." Otherwise, in certain shops, it will take an Act of God to get rid of a person...even in Right-To-Work states like in the South.