Glue removal?

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
I dont know how many times I have told end users NOT to tape their business cards to their laptops! Each time they come in for updates (usually during a mass in person meeting), I am constantly removing the cards, and it leaves a terrible scotch tape residue.

Anyone know of a good product to clean this off that wont mar or scratch the original finish more than it is already?

Comments

• CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Best IT secret right here. Spray some WD40 onto a paper towel and use that to clean off the goo. It comes right off.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Rubbing Alcohol (91% or higher)

Or

Goo Gone
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    you'd be surprised what ya can do with some hand sanitizer
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    to give you an idea of how big of a nerd I am, when I saw the subject of the thread, i immediately started thinking about glue code
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    to give you an idea of how big of a nerd I am, when I saw the subject of the thread, i immediately started thinking about glue code

I was thinking thermal paste from a processor lol.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    I would be careful with Goo Gone. I think that might damage the paint.

Glass cleaner usually works for me.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    aordal wrote: »
    Best IT secret right here. Spray some WD40 onto a paper towel and use that to clean off the goo. It comes right off.
    I wouldn't use WD40 on anything like a laptop. Its a mixture of oil and solvent so even if the solvent doesn't damage any plastic parts, you're going to be left with an oil film covering it.
    you'd be surprised what ya can do with some hand sanitizer

;)

That's the alcohol.

Q-tips and rubbing alcohol are much less expensive and work great for ink too!

However, the nice thing about sanitizer is that you can let it sit without it evaporating as quickly to work through the paper backing to get down to the glue.

@hex_omega
    I would be careful with Goo Gone. I think that might damage the paint.

It shouldn't, but it is beneficial to test on surfaces before doing things one has never done previously. Most of the notebooks I've had come through are molded plastics whereby the color is through the whole piece.

@tiersten
    I wouldn't use WD40 on anything like a laptop. Its a mixture of oil and solvent so even if the solvent doesn't damage any plastic parts, you're going to be left with an oil film covering it.

100% agree! WD40 is NOT good for plastics. And to kill that film one would use rubbing alcohol so...back to the cheapest product again to do the most ;) (plus rubbing alcohol is great on fingers and hands that have been inside chassis all day getting cuts and gashes...j/k but it is good stuff for cleaning).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    We use to use isopropyl alcohol for cleaning. Nowadays I use oil products like lavender or emu oil. Any oil will disolve the resin. I've even used olive oil, but it's best to go with something a bit more refined.

WD40 smells bad and doesn't go away too quickly. But maybe that could be a deterrent for users to get the message.
    Bokeh wrote: »
    I dont know how many times I have told end users NOT to tape their business cards to their laptops! Each time they come in for updates (usually during a mass in person meeting), I am constantly removing the cards, and it leaves a terrible scotch tape residue.

Anyone know of a good product to clean this off that wont mar or scratch the original finish more than it is already?

Depending on the surface texture...have them try Rubber Cement. Just use on 1 side (coat the card not the card and the space) and stick the card to the chassis.

Otherwise, if they will continue to do this, consider plastic sleeves that are clear for business cards (they may be found around folders and binders in many office supply stores) and stick on of those on each notebook. This way if the notebook changes owners, they simply remove the old card and insert the new one)

It sounds like they are going to do it regardless of your advice, so maybe find something they can ALL use and keep it uniform.
    Avery® Self-Adhesive Business Card Holders | Staples®
    Plantwiz
    _____

• MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use electronics-safe degreaser, specifically this:
    Electronics Cleaner

It is very effective, leaves no residue, and is safe on plastic/electronics. The downside is cost, about $10 for a can. It's available at Frys and other places that carry electronics.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Ive found that rubbing alcohol / alcohol based hand sanitizers discolor your laptop plastics. The WD40 evaporates very quickly and after evaporation leaves no residue/smell. You don't have to take my word for it but it really does work wonders.
    Ive found that rubbing alcohol / alcohol based hand sanitizers discolor your laptop plastics. The WD40 evaporates very quickly and after evaporation leaves no residue/smell. You don't have to take my word for it but it really does work wonders.

I've seen WD40 somewhat 'melt' plastics. However, WD40's site states otherwise:
    http://www.wd40.com/files/pdf/wd-40_2042538679.pdf

So I expect the times I tried this product on 'plastic' the plastic really was composed of another material:

WD-40 Frequently Asked Questions
    What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 on?
    WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40.

I have used alcohol based products on metal, plastic, and painted (baked enamel) chassis without issue. Typically, I use straight from the bottle rubbing alcohol, and hairspray and/or hand sanitizer only in a jam, but still no issue.

Nevertheless, the bottom line, one should ALWAYS test the product being used on an area that if disfigured won't matter before using it on the full surface.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Depending on the surface texture...have them try Rubber Cement. Just use on 1 side (coat the card not the card and the space) and stick the card to the chassis.

Otherwise, if they will continue to do this, consider plastic sleeves that are clear for business cards (they may be found around folders and binders in many office supply stores) and stick on of those on each notebook. This way if the notebook changes owners, they simply remove the old card and insert the new one)

It sounds like they are going to do it regardless of your advice, so maybe find something they can ALL use and keep it uniform.
    Avery® Self-Adhesive Business Card Holders | Staples®

Those seem nice, very professional instead of some scotch tape...lol
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• ConradJConradJ Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□

+1. Certainly the best trick I learned in this trade!