Options

Certification path for experienced non-cert sysadmin

RobinBanksRobinBanks Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I've been working in the IT world for about 10 years now, never certified but ran through a lot of classes, and personal study time. My previous job, I started in entry level desktop support, and got the job since I took the MCSE classes (but didn't take any of the tests). Moved up to a system administrator, and the company never pushed for certifications, nor payed for any classes, so it was not a big priority for me.

After I was laid off, I got another job but this time my work was more focused on supporting Windows and Linux, so while I wanted to get certified I was confused on which path I should take. Now in another job, I'm back on Windows, but still pondering if the MCITP:SA track is best?

I took the 70-640 and failed with a small margin, so I'm pretty sure with some studying I could pass it. I'm thinking that if I could pass the three tests, then I could somewhat close out my Microsoft certifications, and move towards Linux certifications, where I really want to end up.

While I enjoy working with Windows, I'm interested to move towards more Linux support in the near future.

Suggestions on sticking with the MCITP:SA?

Comments

• Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It sounds like you already have a pretty good track laid out for yourself.

Since you already have the experience, have you given any thought on going back to get your MCSA? It may be a step backwards but it'd be a good confidence builder and the MCITP still isn't all that well know by many HR offices.