Options

Seeking your opinion - Drop out of school to focus on studying for certs.?

LuckyGreenFrogLuckyGreenFrog Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm contemplating on dropping out of community college to focus on certifications.

I'm two classes away from graduating this Spring. I've lost interest in earning that AA/AS degree from the community college, and I'm totally behind on those two classes as well. There's a good chance I can catch up and pull decent grades to pass, but I have no motivation.

Would you guys encourage me to drop out this semester, and focus on certifications, and return later?

I'm currently employed, and wouldn't benefit from either the AA/AS or certs. I just have a strong desire to drop out and work on certs...but there is a big part of me that is forcing me to earn that meaningless associate's degree.

I have a few days to think about...if you guys can offer some insight that would help, please do.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I don't see the point in dropping out if you are so close to completion. When you are out there applying for jobs, what seems meaningless to you may be the deciding factor between you and another equally experienced candidate with no degree.

Go for it man.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd say continue with the degree, you are just 2 classes away. Keep plugging away at those certs as you go. When you are done with the degree, which doesnt seem to far off either, really gun for the certs. Can I ask you why, apart from no motivation, you want to drop out and do the certs? Is it to change jobs? And what certs?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Would you guys encourage me to drop out this semester, and focus on certifications, and return later?

No...I will not encourage you to drop out with two classes left.

[/TOUGHLOVE] Stop with the bull----, go to your classes, do whatever your assignments are, and get your AA/AS/WHAT-HAVE-YOU! Your motivation?! You get to tell employers when you're looking for a job that you can finish what you started! More motivation? You can get a BS at some point in your life and it will only take you two years to do it and you won't have to take any (hardly any) GE classes. The semester is almost over man, just buck it up and finish! [TOUGHLOVE]

Suck it up man....do what you have to do and get that degree. If you're falling behind, USE THOSE OFFICE HOURS YOUR PROFESSORS OFFER!!! That can be the difference between a D and a C!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nope. Finish what you started now.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Suck it up buttercup. Finish strong.
  • Options
    rep21rep21 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You only have a couple months left. Suck it up and finish. If you want to transfer to get a bachelors someday that degree will be helpful!
    WGU - MS in Information Security and Assurance: May 2016 Start
    WGU - BSIT: Software
    AAS - Systems Admin/Networking
  • Options
    BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Nope. Finish what you started now.

+1 :P gotz to finish it...

Just a motivation alot of high-end position requires BS in Engineering/Computer Science, without BS and AA/AS life is tougher there's alot of cats out there it's a dog eat dog world...
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your motivation is that you only have two classes left. Just do it. It can only help you in your career. I dropped out myself and will be going back this year fall semester after I take care of some certs.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Finish it up.
    When you're in the hunt for your NEXT job (and in this IT climate it's not IF but WHEN) the degree will be a deciding factor between you and the other guy without it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Banned Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm contemplating on dropping out of community college to focus on certifications.

I'm two classes away from graduating this Spring. I've lost interest in earning that AA/AS degree from the community college, and I'm totally behind on those two classes as well. There's a good chance I can catch up and pull decent grades to pass, but I have no motivation.

I'm currently employed, and wouldn't benefit from either the AA/AS or certs. I just have a strong desire to drop out and work on certs...but there is a big part of me that is forcing me to earn that meaningless associate's degree.

I have a few days to think about...if you guys can offer some insight that would help, please do.

Well, you could always tell people in the future that you have 37 degrees... Celsius.

I think my winning formula is:

3 degrees +
    certs +
    experience +
    smarts +
    hard work +
    perseverence +
    listening to mentors +
    some luck = $ucce$$
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm currently employed, and wouldn't benefit from either the AA/AS or certs.o.

You might be singing a different tune when you are shopping for your next job and don't get any call back because you have no degree. You are so close... just finish it!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    School > Certs

Please stay in school and get your AAS. That is a big accomplishment and can lead to bigger and better things.

Certifcations are awesome, don't get me wrong, but don't drop out of school to focus on them.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Dude... finish that degree. There are two things that people tend to regret in regards to their careers, 1) not finishing school and 2) not starting their schooling sooner. Certifications aren't going anywhere.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    School > Certs

Please stay in school and get your AAS. That is a big accomplishment and can lead to bigger and better things.

Certifcations are awesome, don't get me wrong, but don't drop out of school to focus on them.

Where I come from, people don't think much of the AAS. It's kind of like doing something for two years after high school.

In my opinion, an AAS doesn't compete real well against a B.S. or those with graduate degrees. But in reality, your education should never stop, right?

On the other hand, among the unemployed, those with college degrees and a lower percent of unemployment than those without any college degrees. So something is better than nothing.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Paladin wrote: »
    Where I come from, people don't think much of the AAS. It's kind of like doing something for two years after high school.

In my opinion, an AAS doesn't compete real well against a B.S. or those with graduate degrees. But in reality, your education should never stop, right?

On the other hand, among the unemployed, those with college degrees and a lower percent of unemployment than those without any college degrees. So something is better than nothing.

Other than certain fields, like nursing, I wouldn't consider an associates a real degree... it is really just like "half a degree." In nursing, they have so much in regards to clinicals that they make up for that.

In any event, get that done and work on a BS. Heck, you could transfer to WGU after finishing your AAS and do certs and BS at the same time. However, I am still precautious about online schools for an undergrad degree, mostly because I see that those doing hiring are, as well. In any event, keep working on your education.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    zerogames wrote: »
    what about experience?

I wrote this earlier, but it's worth repeating...

I think my winning formula is:

3 degrees +
    certs +
    experience +
    smarts +
    hard work +
    perseverence +
    listening to mentors +
    some luck = $ucce$$

(The expanded version:)

B.S. Eng. Tech. +
    M.S. in Computer Information Systems +
    MBA +
    69 certs +
    experience +
    smarts +
    a lot of hard work +
    a lot of long hours (sometimes over 90 to 100 per week) +
    perseverence +
    listening to mentors +
    some luck = $ucce$$

(almost forgot... zero video games...)
  • Options
    -DeXteR--DeXteR- Member Posts: 130
    (almost forgot... zero video games...)

This part may be hard for some ppl icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    -DeXteR- wrote: »
    This part may be hard for some ppl icon_lol.gif

People have short memories:

Korean Dies Playing Video Game
    BBC NEWS | Technology | S Korean dies after games session
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□

DONT DROPOUT!!!

Certs come and go, but a degree lasts forever.

Get you degree now, because the older you get the harder it is to return to college. You get married and maybe divorced, have kids, work full time, and try to have hobbies…ect..ect. Being a recent graduate and job hunter I can tell you for a fact, I have seen a lot of entry level jobs that require at least a A.A.S degree. Certs are nice to have, but I haven’t seen them as a requirement for most entry level jobs.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    Get the Degree.
    My experience has been that when it came to two otherwise equally qualifed candidates, the one with the degree got the interview before the one with the certifications.

The main reason to get certifications when you have no experience is to convince HR that your not a clueless idiot despite not having a degree.

Once you are in front of the hiring manager, neither will have anywhere near as much influence as your softskills and experience.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    zerogames wrote: »
    what about experience?

Experience + Education + Certifications (and some luck and people/networking skills) maximize your opportunities that lead to career success in IT.

Experience is King -- but only if you have the other "keywords" that get get your resume pulled from the pile so that someone with a clue reads your resume, is impressed with your qualification (including your Experience) and call you for an interview.

Of course, if Mommy & Daddy own a company and give you a job then the required minimum Experience, Education, and Certification may be zero -- but that scenario may be covered under by the luck and/or people/networking skills of the "IT success Formula."
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Experience + Education + Certifications (and some luck and people/networking skills) maximize your opportunities that lead to career success in IT.

Experience is King -- but only if you have the other "keywords" that get get your resume pulled from the pile so that someone with a clue reads your resume, is impressed with your qualification (including your Experience) and call you for an interview.

Of course, if Mommy & Daddy own a company and give you a job then the required minimum Experience, Education, and Certification may be zero -- but that may be covered under luck and/or people/networking skills.

Of course, if Mommy & Daddy own a company...

Yeah - I've seen this before. Usually their progeny get very good at video games. As they often say, :"The new 18 is 34!"
  • Options
    Stiltz79Stiltz79 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Get the degree!!! I went to college late after I already had a family and other obligations. I got my Associates Degree. That's all we could afford and all I had time for. I felt like I was burned out at times and wanted to quit. Just got to push through it and finish it. You only have 2 CLASSES left! Just do it!
  • Options
    People have short memories:

Korean Dies Playing Video Game
    BBC NEWS | Technology | S Korean dies after games session

Comm'on man that who would play game for insane 50 hrs except a ADDICT.
    I play games sometimes for STRESS BUSTER !! It really helps me and many ppl like me out their for sure . :)
  • Options
    Btw on the topic:
    Only 2 classes left and you wanna give up, comm'on man . Just think about why you holded onto it for so long till now
  • Options
    -DeXteR- wrote: »
    Comm'on man that who would play game for insane 50 hrs except a ADDICT.
    I play games sometimes for STRESS BUSTER !! It really helps me and many ppl like me out their for sure . :)

Great! When you identify a professional IT certification track based on video games, that pays good $, please start a forum section on that so we can all share and trade notes about them.

Unfortunately, human life is short, less than 2.5 GS usually. Every minute you spend doing video games is a minute you aren't spending reading, doing, learning and gaining valuable skills.

On second thought, I hope there will be more and more video game players, because it will cull these people from the available IT talent pool, and increase the value and compensation of those who are actually doing the work.

Thanks!

World of Warcraft, anyone?
  • Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    *shrug* I like WoW. I don't play it very often but I enjoy it. I'm also really enjoying Dragon Age II although perhaps not as much as the first one.

I also work 50 hours a week, go to college full time (WGU), ride my bike 150 miles a week, and have time for a family.

It's all about time management. If I didn't take a break for things like video games I would probably end up on top of a clock tower with a sniper rifle :P
  • Options
    natureboy24natureboy24 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a BS,MBA degree, security clearance with four certs. Its still tough for me when applying for jobs. There is so many competition out there. You should always get your education to prove you can finish what you started. Degree+ certs+experience+networking trumps all.
    MBA: Information Systems (2008)
    BS: Management Information Systems (2006)
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

I think you should keep your ass in class. You have the rest of your life to get the alphabet soup of certs. You need an AS degree at least or your options will be limited.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Great! When you identify a professional IT certification track based on video games, that pays good $, please start a forum section on that so we can all share and trade notes about them.

Unfortunately, human life is short, less than 2.5 GS usually. Every minute you spend doing video games is a minute you aren't spending reading, doing, learning and gaining valuable skills.

On second thought, I hope there will be more and more video game players, because it will cull these people from the available IT talent pool, and increase the value and compensation of those who are actually doing the work.

Thanks!

World of Warcraft, anyone?

I agree that playing computer games is an enormous waste of time. I certainly dont have time for them and neither does my wife who is of the opinion that grown men have far more important things to spend their time on. However, it's 2011 and a lot of people do like to play computer games and to be fair some are rather successful in work and life.