Options

An EIGRP sample of an imagination

thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
My real concern is remembering how EIGRP would behave on equal-cost path links.

If all metric values of each path were different, the lowest-metric path would be choosen as the best. (successor). However, at this time, we could also be able to load-balance by variance command. (unequal-cost path)

However, if i have 3 destinations that goes to a remote network and if at least two of them is equal-cost link such as T3, what are we supposed to do?
Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

Comments

• Options
    Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    The 2 that were equal cost would load balance by default and the third could be brought into the load balancing with the variance command.
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • Options
    Of course, the amount of packets sent down the link activated by the variance command would be proportional to the difference in the metrics.
  • Options
    thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    EIGRP operates just like RIPv1 once mentioned about equal-cost paths?
    Furthermore, IGRP does the same thing with EIGRP on equal-cost path?

What im trying to say is that RIPv1 always seeks the hop count as the metric, always calculate on equal-cost paths and as a result, makes load balancing only on equal-cost paths.
    But, if RIPv1 meets several paths which have different metrics, it makes a choice on the lowest-hop count path among them.
    However, IGRP and EIGRP are capable of making a selection over unequal-cost paths unlike RIPv1. Nevertheless, when these two distance vector-hybrid routing protocols are challenged by one or more equal-cost path links which are between several paths, they are intended to behave just like RIPv1 over these one or more.

Note: just a little bit complicated but whats important is you are required to get the main idea above.
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Options
    in the example you gave of 3 links, of which at least 2 are equal cost then eigrp will load balance across the equal costs. The third link will become a feasible sucessor if it passes the feasibility check OR we can turn on variance and have it participate in the load balancing.
    I'm not entirely sure what you are asking or why you are trying to draw a parallel between EIGRP and RIP1.