Options

passed today, finally a ccna holder

iyareiyare Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
Well, I finally did it today. Passed the exam. Didnt crack the 900's but a pass is a pass.
CCENT, CCNA(EXPIRED), BS Electrical Engineering (Communications/Optics/Nanotechnology)

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

So after the Celebration drunken_smilie.gif , what's next?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    jdfriesenjdfriesen Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! As Mike said... What's next?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congrats on the pass. What's next on the agenda. . . after a weekend of celebratory beering it up, that is? :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bravo! Keep up the good work :)
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass!! Don't forget to update the cert list.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    must feel so good! congrats

• Options
    Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    Congrats on the pass.
    You don't need a score in the 900s!! That's why the pass Mark is what it is.
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • Options
    -DeXteR--DeXteR- Member Posts: 130
  • Options
    storresrosadostorresrosado Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats.
    Education: BA, AS
    Certifications: CCENT, A+ IT Technician, Network +, MCDST
  • Options
    wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
  • Options
    I think I am going to enjoy I solid week with no studying. No fretting over access lists and wild card masks. No more sh ip int brief. I think I want to head straight into the CCNP. I think I will go with the momentum. I would like to get some opinions from you guys on whether I should attempt some of the CCNA specializations or hit a different type of certification, like linux. I, mainly, got the CCNA for job prospects and hopefully, something will come through. Let's get those opinions!

Iyare
    CCENT, CCNA(EXPIRED), BS Electrical Engineering (Communications/Optics/Nanotechnology)
  • Options
    iyare wrote: »
    I think I am going to enjoy I solid week with no studying. No fretting over access lists and wild card masks. No more sh ip int brief. I think I want to head straight into the CCNP. I think I will go with the momentum. I would like to get some opinions from you guys on whether I should attempt some of the CCNA specializations or hit a different type of certification, like linux. I, mainly, got the CCNA for job prospects and hopefully, something will come through. Let's get those opinions!

Iyare
    Any suggestions for the guy whose gonna give his CCNA this month end :)
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    iyare wrote: »

Iyare

I'd go with the CCNP, the CCNA specializations are great, but the CCNP will be a major stepping stone. Congrats on the CCNA pass...feels good huh? :)
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CONGRATZ!!!

Feels good doesn't it? What's next?
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    Feels good doesn't it? Congrats to you my man.
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    First of all congrats.

To answer your question about the direction you should take would depend on what path you want to choose. For instance, if you are mainly looking to get into the security arena but just wanted to gain a little bit of network knowledge to round yourself out, then by all means start venturing to that side of the house.

If you ultimately desire to be a network guy, I would start studying for your CCNP. That being said, being savvy in Linux is definitely helpful as a network guy so studying that wouldn't be a waste of time at all. I set up tcpdumps and such quite often in my day to day trying to figure out where traffic is broken.

What type of environment do you work in now? I work in an environment where it's mostly large scale routing, but we do some voip stuff as well so studying for a specialization such as ccna voice would make sense in my environment, but studying for something like the ccna wireless would not be applicable to my work (nor my desired work) so I probably wouldn't opt for that.
  • Options
    -DeXteR- wrote: »
    I would say get some hands on practice and be able to configure every sort of network possible in the books you are reading. I had major problems with switching. My solutions was to write out the steps over and over and over. Make sure subnetting is easy. Get your troubleshooting skills way up there. You should be good though. Also, use this forum to figure out any problems on the path.
  • Options
    Ryan82 wrote: »
    First of all congrats.

To answer your question about the direction you should take would depend on what path you want to choose. For instance, if you are mainly looking to get into the security arena but just wanted to gain a little bit of network knowledge to round yourself out, then by all means start venturing to that side of the house.

If you ultimately desire to be a network guy, I would start studying for your CCNP. That being said, being savvy in Linux is definitely helpful as a network guy so studying that wouldn't be a waste of time at all. I set up tcpdumps and such quite often in my day to day trying to figure out where traffic is broken.

What type of environment do you work in now? I work in an environment where it's mostly large scale routing, but we do some voip stuff as well so studying for a specialization such as ccna voice would make sense in my environment, but studying for something like the ccna wireless would not be applicable to my work (nor my desired work) so I probably wouldn't opt for that.

I actually don't even work in a networking environment. I am a Geek Squad Agent who wants to get out of that world and back into something that complements my degree. I would like to know what you guys think is a good starting point. I am hoping to just update my dice.com profile and roll with that.
  • Options

To pass the test, make sure you can subnet within 20-25 seconds and be able to configure VTY... switchport security, OSPF, EIGRP, Static routes, NAT and ACLS/Extended ACLS.

If you are going to 2 exam route, then just make sure you can subnet, know the OSI layers and functions as well as the TCP/IP Stack and how to configure a banner, VTY and all that. I thought the first exam was not that hard. I had problems with the second exam.

Cheers
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
  • Options
    To pass the test, make sure you can subnet within 20-25 seconds and be able to configure VTY... switchport security, OSPF, EIGRP, Static routes, NAT and ACLS/Extended ACLS.

If you are going to 2 exam route, then just make sure you can subnet, know the OSI layers and functions as well as the TCP/IP Stack and how to configure a banner, VTY and all that. I thought the first exam was not that hard. I had problems with the second exam.

Cheers
    Thanks!

Well i'm going for direct CCNA exam track . Finished todd lammhle . Going through Odoom books now . Finding wan Topics hard though !! Still got loads to do on the lab front icon_study.gif
  • Options
    Thanks!

Well i'm going for direct CCNA exam track . Finished todd lammhle . Going through Odoom books now . Finding wan Topics hard though !! Still got loads to do on the lab front icon_study.gif

yeah have your WAN topics down and have Frame Relay down as well. I just looked at as many NMBA topologies as I could. heavy emphasis on NAT and Extended ACLs and you will see some questions on wireless as well
    Eating humble pie.