Options

E-Council's Security5 Certification

D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
Is there any study guides for E-council's Security5 Certification? icon_confused.gif
http://www.eccouncil.org/s5/index.htm
Would this be good to take and pass before taking CompTIA Security+? icon_wink.gif

Comments

• Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Just browsing the link, I doubt you would need both. For one, it looks like you need to complete two exams to obtain this certification. Taking Sec+ after this would most likely be overdoing it.

I'm impressed with EC-Council. They are beginning to release some nice security certifications. If they are anything like the CEH exam, they will be of excellent quality as well and not just filler material.
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    I guess it would be overkill, but I was thinking of doing this as a foundation into security. Plus wouldn't it make passing Security+ a breeze? icon_wink.gif Being someone that does't work or know too much about security icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I don't think anything could make Security+ a breeze. icon_lol.gif

Kidding aside...if you passed this exam, you would most likely find Sec+ a lot easier. I'm just guessing, I haven't seen the syllabus for this cert and the link on their site isn't up yet.
  • Options
    ja5983ja5983 Member Posts: 129
    i really want to take this cert. I just passed my sec+ and it is fresh in my mind. does anyone know where i can get study books for the test/the test price and what are your thoughts on this cert?
    Josh
    A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, TICSA, CCNA, MCSA, AS Network Engineering
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    ja5983 wrote:
    i really want to take this cert. I just passed my sec+ and it is fresh in my mind. does anyone know where i can get study books for the test/the test price and what are your thoughts on this cert?

This link says there is a self study guide:

http://www.eccouncil.org/s5/training.htm

But, I don't see it under their self study section. I am sure it will be there soon. I would look back over you Security+ material....because, I am sure you will probably see quite a bit of it on this test. For entry level, they can only ask you so much.
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    i tried to contact them and all they did was send me a link to their security5 website, which, is pretty much 1/10th of the way done with almost no working links
    Josh
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I think EC-council will conquer its place in the IT cert industry and from what I've heard and read about the CEH the other professional certs it all sounds very good, impressing indeed.

But, I honestly don't see why any IT pro would pursue the Security5 certification, especially not after Security+. Maybe before, but I think Network+ does well before Sec+ and eliminates the need for Track 1 of Security5: "Network foundations"... Track 2, Security Foundations doesn't cover any topic that isn't covered by Security+. Obviously Network+ and Security+ have a much better and wide spread reputation and like /usr mentioned, taking Sec+ after this would most likely be overdoing it, so I would put my money on the incompTIA certs, for now.

I just checked out the sample question and imho the way to start task manager is an A+ OS topic, and is not even directly related to security, nor networking. As they mention in the brochure, the cert is also for home users.... icon_rolleyes.gif I think it will do little to nothing for an IT pro's carreer. I tried to contact them for more info, they don't seem willing to reply, and that 1/10th finished page doesn't make it look any better.
  • Options
    johan,

very true what you were saying, i just felt like taking the cert as a kind of...breather from learning tons of new stuff while still keeping myself in the mindset of study you know?

also...

I thought they were just showing you what TYPE of question was on the test...no idea that that was an actual question. if that is a true example of the questions, please disregard my request on study material...HA
    Josh