Advice on the next step I should take

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
My goal for this year is the following:

CCENT --> CCNA --> CCNA:Security

When I reach that goal I'm not sure what I should pursue next. My goal is to get some kind of Network administration job that will position me to learn the skills I need to one day get into an IT security role. I would really like to go after the SSCP but I'm wondering if I should go after the MCITP:EA or SA so I can round my knowledge more. Honestly the CCNP and SSCP interest me more but I know the CCNP is going to make me look to top heavy with the lack of experience I have with Cisco devices.

My reasoning for asking so soon is that I want to study whatever I'm going to do next on the side.

Comments

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    personally id go with the sscp while you still on the sec mindset then get either more cisco or mcitp:sa
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My goal for this year is the following:

CCENT --> CCNA --> CCNA:Security

When I reach that goal I'm not sure what I should pursue next. My goal is to get some kind of Network administration job that will position me to learn the skills I need to one day get into an IT security role. I would really like to go after the SSCP but I'm wondering if I should go after the MCITP:EA or SA so I can round my knowledge more. Honestly the CCNP and SSCP interest me more but I know the CCNP is going to make me look to top heavy with the lack of experience I have with Cisco devices.

My reasoning for asking so soon is that I want to study whatever I'm going to do next on the side.

The cert tracks are fine so you have that covered. Are you in helpdesk? What are you doing to advance from there?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Turgon wrote: »
    The cert tracks are fine so you have that covered. Are you in helpdesk? What are you doing to advance from there?

IT Operations. It's sort of like Desktop Support++ if you will. Currently I'm upgrading our Full Disk encryption deployment software and also working on deploying/managing our media encryption software that allows us to lock down the laptops that our users have.

In response to your questing about what I'm doing to advance is three fold:

1. Behaving myself.
    2. Working to make my company better.
    3. Working on the CCNA because I think there maybe an opening for another Network Infrastructure guy in the future (this is merely a hunch.)
  • shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You are currently on the exact same track that I already took. I recommend SSCP after CCNA:S if you are looking to get into security. I was kind of the "pilot" for this cert path at my job and since I've completed it (and apparently am at least marginally competent at my job as a result), it has become the official cert path for all of the analysts at my company. The SSCP has a lot of really good information in it and really does a good job of introducing you to the different areas of security like pen testing, incident response, encryption and risk assessments.

I would also like to go after some MS certs at some point, but I'm getting by in a security role right now quite well without them. In fact, I think I am going to end up switching it up a bit here pretty soon and plow through the Linux+/LPIC-1 real fast and do the GREM right after. There are just other certs that I would reap much more benefit from relative to the time investment that would be required for the MS certs.
    :study:
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Looks like you've got a good plan so far and getting some good advice from those who have been where you're at now.
    Are you switching to Sec. emphasis at WGU or just doing those on your own? I know you've been on the fence about that for a while. One thing to remeber is that your diploma will say IT no matter what emphasis, it doesn't specify your emphasis.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.