I have a question about inkjet?????

LouTechLouTech Inactive Imported Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a question about inkjet????? On the A+ core hardware Q26.
The answer is the ink is heated up, but on the site How Things Work,
it explained that inkjet bumps the ink out on to the paper and bubble jet heats the ink that makes little bubbles that burst on to the paper.
Doe’s anyone know the right answer?

Thanks Louie

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Good question!

I believe a 'bubble jet' is a form of 'ink jet'. Bubble jet printers were synonymous with Canon Printers (I even had one way back). Anyway, Canon's site calls them inkjets now and in the video
    HERE mentions that the ink is heated.

My 'Meyers' book pg. 450 (199icon_cool.gif describes "Inkjet" just as you found on the Technotes link (see my sig).

I will continue to look into this one for you. I think it falls into the industry term like 'Xerox' vs. 'ditto' vs. 'photocopy'. All three are different, but it wasn't uncommon to see the terms inter-mixed (incorrectly ;) ).

Anyway, my quick search through my printer books as well as my (very old) A+ AIO book, indicate that it the reference is toward Inkjet (cartiridge type printers) vs. Laser printers.

Someone else may be able to reply before I return here - so, it's my two cents....
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • LouTechLouTech Inactive Imported Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why I questioned this is, I’m a tech and I hade a problem with my inkjet printer. It was an Epson stylus color 640, it was starting to make lots of noise then it jammed up. Well being cheap, I tried fixing it myself and took the printer head off along with all it little parts and springs. Anyway after cleaning all the parts I then put it all back together, I fixed the jamming, but now the ink wasn’t dropping onto the paper anymore, that when I started looking up on how it worked on the site how things work. Anyway I fixed it, it was the little vacuum hose that pulls the ink down anyway it fell off. On my printer head their was nothing that indicted that the ink was heated, but if I taped the side of the head the ink dropped onto the paper, so again that why I questioned it. Thanks Louie
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    LouTech wrote:
    Doe’s anyone know the right answer?
    Yeah I do, I wrote the question ;)
    it explained that inkjet bumps the ink out on to the paper and bubble jet heats the ink that makes little bubbles that burst on to the paper.

I think you are referring to this page: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/inkjet-printer3.htm
    it explains the two main methods inkjet printers use, of which one, the most common, is the "Thermal bubble" which as that page mentions is commonly referred to as "bubble jet". They refer to it as a "thermal inkjet printer".

All bubble jet printers are inkjet printers, not all inkjet printers are bubble jet printers though ;)

Interesting website btw.
    LouTech wrote:
    Why I questioned this is, I’m a tech and I hade a problem with my inkjet printer. It was an Epson stylus color 640, it was starting to make lots of noise then it jammed up.

From the 2nd method described on the same page:
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/inkjet-printer3.htm
    Piezoelectric - Patented by Epson, this technology uses piezo crystals
    Yes, that's the site, and it doe's say that Epson uses vibration, and my Epson is called an inkjet printer, so I picked the answer on Q26 I picked bumbing, vibration ect. but they say the answer is heat, anyway to me heat falls under bubble jet. Thanks louie
    an Interesting website btw. I have a question, will they ask a question like this on the test? and if so what do I answer with? Thanks buddy.
    Louie AKA LouTech
    As I wrote in the answer of the question that 'most' inkjet printers use the heating system, which is correct.
    LouTech wrote:
    anyway to me heat falls under bubble jet.
    For CompTIA there are basically three main types of printers, dot-matrix, inkjet, and laser. Bubble jet is not a separate type of printer, it is an ink dispersion technology used by inkjet printers.
    I have a question, will they ask a question like this on the test?
    Similar ones like this yes. Our practice exams are based on the exam objectives so cover the relevant topics. You can see at the bottom of the TechNotes that it is based on the 2002 exam objectives, which makes it still relevant but incomplete as CompTIA added some items. The current exam objectives are listed below:
    5.1 Identify printer technologies, interfaces, and options/upgrades. Technologies include:
    o Laser
    o Ink Dispersion
    o Dot Matrix
    o Solid ink
    o Thermal
    o Dye sublimation
    and if so what do I answer with?
    See the above replies ;)
    So you say>>>For CompTIA there are basically three main types of printers, dot-matrix, inkjet, and laser. Bubble jet is not a separate type of printer, it is an ink dispersion technology used by inkjet printers. OK I understand, but if my Epson 640 is called an inkjet and on the web site How Things Work explains that Epson is an inkjet and uses vibration, then why is this q26 answer heat and not bumping which is vibration, which is Epson, and which is called the Epson inkjet??? My printer is an Epson inkjet color 640 printer? This is what's confusing. So really inkjet falls under both heat and vibration and on your question you have both answer. Man I'm confused wow......Thanks Louie
    OK I understand, but if my Epson 640 is called an inkjet and on the web site How Things Work explains that Epson is an inkjet and uses vibration, then why is this q26 answer heat and not bumping which is vibration.
    Because both those answers in q26 start with "Most...". Only one type can be used by most inkjet printers. The fact that the other answer is not a correct answer to our question does not mean your printer is not an inkjet printer and does not imply the other vibration technology is not used at all, just less than the heating technology. To put it differently, your Epson printer does not use the common ink dispersion technology, it's still an inkjet printer though.

The word 'most' in those answers make all the difference. It is important to read carefully (on the actual exam as well), as it is often one word that makes the difference between a correct and the best answer (the latter is the one you should choose). I hope this helps deconfuse you. It is the correct answer to our practice question, but you won't, of course, get this exact same question on CompTIA's actual exam. If you know the related objectives I posted in my previous reply, such as the different type of ink dispersion technologies (which you probably will never forget now ;)) you will do fine when it comes to this topic.
    I didn’t know about heating and it being mostly used among priters, and I also didn’t know that at one time it was called a bubble jet and now it's called an inkjet, but you’re right about one other thing, I know now. I know all about reading carefully too, I just passed my Cisco CCNA after failing it twice because of this type of questions. I'm now studding for my A+. My friend who I studied with for the CCNA who now is also studding for his A+ turned me on to this site and I think it's really great with so much cool information. I also thank you for your help.

Think again Louie
    You're welcome Louie, I'm glad it helped. And thanks for the kind words about the site. :)
    I know all about reading carefully too, I just passed my Cisco CCNA after failing it twice because of this type of questions.
    Though in general A+ is fairly straight-forward, some CompTIA questions may be even trickier than Cisco's questions, but if you can beat the CCNA exam, A+ should be a problem, given that you prepared well.

What study material are you using besides online resources?
    None at this time only your site I just started studding for my A+
    this week, but if you can help to where I can go to get more information that would be really cool.
    Thanks Louie
    Besides the useful information in the forums, check out www.techexams.net/co_apluscore.shtml and the link section at the bottom of that page.
    I will do, I saw these sites, but I didn't get a chance to explore them yet.
    thanks again :) Louie