Fun use for cluster?

nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
I have an bunch of old computers and I was thinking of clustering them together for fun. Can anyone think of any sort of good reason to do this, or is "fun" really all that there is? I can't think of any good use for a large amount of computation power.

Comments

• mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Admin without a cause? James Dean would be proud.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    nhpr wrote: »
    I can't think of any good use for a large amount of computation power.
    How old is old exactly? I doubt that it is actually a large amount of computation power considering the work required and the amount of actual electrical power it will consume. A new PC or two would probably blow it out of the water unless you have a very large number of these old PCs. If you're making a cluster from old machines then it'll be for research, training or "just because" reasons.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Put it together for the experience. Then it break it and recover it for an even better experience.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    Make a nice lab environment, test everything you want to test there.

If you can have remote access to the cluster from home, you can start a training service.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    How old is old exactly? I doubt that it is actually a large amount of computation power considering the work required and the amount of actual electrical power it will consume.
    This is a good point. I've got three boxes that average about 10 years in age. I hadn't considered their relative power inefficiency.

A honeynet sounds like more fun, but wouldn't I be held liable if, for example, my machines were used in a DDoS? ...Or does honeypot software just emulate the outbound traffic while emitting nothing?
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Learn cluster compution methods,

work package based (folding at home, seti )

and Beowolf clusters.

Then get a job at a university running computer modeling clusters.

wright a simple script to find prime numbers and use your cluster to work it out.

As for computer power, when I worked with clusters we found that five five year old desk top PC's could put a single £6000 server to shame in many applicatios.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.