Options

CCNA hardware - yes i know its been asked :(

jtdk985jtdk985 Banned Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

I've looked through the stickies, and it makes it a little more confusing when looking for CCNA hardware to get. It's either use the Boson sims to get through my CCNA exam, or get actual hardware. I just want whats needed to pass the CCNA, and I will worry about CCNP hardware at a later point.

Most of the feedback says to get roughly 2 routers, and 2 switches, which that should get you passed CCNA easily enough. my question is just that simple, whats a solid list of equipment to get, to pass CCNA.

you have lab setups like this : Cisco CCNA Lab (2) 3810 (64 DRAM/16 Flash)& 2916 switch - eBay (item 140511804511 end time Mar-14-11 16:37:47 PDT)

then another a little more expensive here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-CCNA-Lab-Routers2610-3810-switches1924-2924-/140517497047pt=COMP_EN_Routers&hash=item20b77ed8d7#ht_4164wt_1139

and finally as much as im willing to spend here: http://cgi.ebay.com/BEST-Cisco-2501-2503-Series-Router-1924-Switch-CCNA-Lab-/150344534365pt=COMP_EN_Routers&hash=item23013b895d#ht_1720wt_1297

so which would be the best buy, and whats a definitive list of equipment needed to pass the CCNA exam, in your professional opinions :D

thank you, sorry to beat a dead horse here, it just gets a bit confusing seeing all these different threads, with so many different responses.

**edit** i dont even mind someone just saying which thread in the FAQ is going to be just about the best answer, so any feedback helps. thanks all!

Comments

• Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Most people are going to suggest a pair of 2950's and a pair of 2600XM-series routers. In a pinch you could go with non-XM's (basic 2600-series) to save a bit, although you'll find yourself missing some things post-CCNA (such as SDM in the CCNA:Security track). Tack in a pair of WIC-1T or WIC-T1 CSU/DSU cards and the appropriate cabling and hard-ware wise you'll be set. Use GNS3/Dynamips for more complex labs requiring more than a pair of routers. You can always pick up more later if you feel you need them.

I went with 3 2950's (I'd planned on 2 but bid a bit too aggressively on too many switches at once), and 2 2610's with WIC-1T cards and a DCE/DTE cable. I've since picked up a 2610XM for CCNA:Security and am thinking about swapping out my WIC-1T for WIC-T1's. I regret not going with 26x1's (2611, 2651 etc) for the 2nd ethernet port a little bit though.

If you've got the cash and plans on doing CCNP afterwards you can always keep an eye out for good deals on a 3550 or two. I picked one up today for $84 icon_cheers.gif
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The reason why there are so many threads about labs is because everyone's lab is going to be custom built for them. We all have a different budget to work with, and we all have different goals following the CCENT/CCNA. If you have a $200 budget and you plan to pursue voice, then you're going to be looking at different hardware than someone who has a $1000 budget and a passion for security. How comfortable you are working with emulators/simulators is also going to be a factor.

The best bang for your buck on routers right now looks like the 1721. They can be had for less than $50 and can do almost everything. The 2600XM's cost more, but they have more expandability which will make them a better long term investment. The 2600's and 2500's have limits, but they're real cheap and those limits aren't going to kill you. For switches, go with the 2950, especially if you're willing to worry about the CCNP down the road. The 3550's will last you longer, but they cost nearly as much as an entire budget CCNA lab. And stay away from the 2900XL/3500XL line. They're VERY limited and you won't be saving much over a 2950.

Routers: 2600XM > 1721 > 2600 > 2500
    Switches: 2950

And if you buy one of those pre-built lab kits with 1900 switches, I will personally come to your house and kick you. At first glance the commands on the 1900 seem similar enough, but they're only similar enough to lure you into a false sense of security. Besides that, they're so short on features, they make the 2900XL look like a 3550.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    alan2308 wrote: »
    The best bang for your buck on routers right now looks like the 1721. They can be had for less than $50 and can do almost everything.
    I think I've mentioned seeing the 1760's selling for less than the 1721s -- and they're rack mountable (rather than the "desk mount" with power bricks) and can run the 12.4T Advanced Enterprise IOS.
    mikej412 wrote: »
    The lab that a lottery winner builds is going to be different from the lab someone working a McHelpDesk job can afford to build. If you've got the money and the networking gene then it makes sense to start building your CCNP/CCIE lab on day one. If you're just starting your studies and can't subnet to save your life, spending 2x the cost of a good CHEAP complete CCNA Lab on one 1841 router may not be a good idea.

If you page through the books you're using to study, what router and switch topologies do they use in their examples and exercises? What do you get when you combine them all into one lab?

Complete Newb, Setting up a home lab (CCNA)

CCENT/CCNA Beginner Lab Setup HELP!!!!

Since those threads I've seen the 1760 routers (which are rack mount and also great for Voice) sell for less than the 1721 routers -- but you still have to do your research and figure out if they are the older model with 16Meg fixed flash or the better 32Meg fixed flash versions.

My advice on IOS has always been the same -- get your routers with the biggest/baddest IOS they will support. That means you'll need to buy at least one of each model you want with the Memory/Flash to support the lastest versions of the Advanced Enterprise or Advanced IP Services that are/were available for that router.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/63588-can-we-get-general-consensus-lab-equipment.html?highlight=1760
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    jtdk985jtdk985 Banned Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think I've mentioned seeing the 1760's selling for less than the 1721s -- and they're rack mountable (rather than the "desk mount" with power bricks) and can run the 12.4T Advanced Enterprise IOS.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/63588-can-we-get-general-consensus-lab-equipment.html?highlight=1760

and obviously thats the one link i DID NOT look at.. lol.

thank you :p
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□

Thanks for pointing this out again since I obviously wasn't paying attention the first time. icon_cool.gif

I guess I just never really looked closely enough at the 1760's. Right now it looks like they can both be had for around $40. With the price being roughly the same, I'll take the 1760 simply because it has more WIC slots and because my OCD would prefer the same size as my other routers.