Wireless antenna question

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
I've made a few posts about the numerous problems I've experienced with my wireless network. Down to trying an antenna, since if it isn't the problem, I can simply ship it back to Newegg for a refund. Which one seems to be the best bet? I'm thinking the directional, but I just wanted another opinion.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=33-127-050&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=33-127-046&depa=0

Comments

• viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What is the problem you're having?
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    What problem am I NOT having? Here's the sum of it...

My PC refuses to work with any Wireless NIC in my desktop. I have a Linksys USB card which will get around 95% signal strength, but it will continuously drop connection, then reconnect. I have a $100 Belkin card that previously worked fantastically, then one day it literally stopped. After uninstalling/reinstalling, I finally got it to connect, but it has the same problem as the Linksys card. Constantly high signal strength, but drops the connection every 30 seconds or so. I have a D-link card currently installed. It doesn't drop the connection as often (and only does so when the signal is low). I only get around 10-15% signal strength, which is why I had planned on trying an antenna.

On another note, my laptop works fine in the same room, with the internal Intel card it came with. Two other pc's which are the same distance away can also use the USB adapter with no problems.

Why my desktop pc has so many problems which randomly pop up, I have no clue, but I've tried almost every other fix I possibly know to try.
  • hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    I had this same issue at a customer site and found that Windows XP SP2 was not loaded. Loaded it and all worked as expected. If you have Windows XP with SP2 loaded, try reloading it again.

Just a thought.
    I've formatted my machine and tried SP1 and SP2.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have had a few problems with XP and using wireless NICs - mostly caused through a clash between the XP wireless networking and the supplied software. Have you tried using the NIC without the supplied software and just relying on the MS stuff?
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
    Yep, on all three. Of course, the software always recommends you let it handle the connection, but like I said, I've killed the software on all three and tried letting Windows handle it. In most cases, Windows won't even see the network without the software running.

It's a huge pain...these problems literally happen in an instant.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    /usr wrote:

Close call. 1st one has a nicer look, but I'd probably try the second one myself. Seem almost equal the second has a slightly higher Gain.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    One (the second) is directional as well. I'm assuming (Also read it somewhere) that Omni antennas don't go quite as far in one direction. Makes logical sense. Since I'm not using the antenna to increase coverage in a general area, I figured the directional antenna would just as well, if not better.