Rack renting for Cisco studies

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
I am just wondering, how do I rent a rack?

Do I have to be at the renting site, or I can just stay at my home and do my labbing through the Internet?

I am preparing my home lab for my CCNP R&S and I am about to buy a 3550 switch this week. I heard that for CCIE it requires at least 3560 switch. I looked on ebay's 3560 list and they are really expensive.
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    You would access it remotely, via SSH or telnet.

However, save your cash, go to Packet Life, he has 3560s in the lab that you can use.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    So I can use something like Teraterm or Putty then.

About the 3550 EMI switch, should I go and get it for my home lab for CCNP?

What exactly the difference between 3550 EMI and 3560?

I know that 3560 supports multiple routing protocols and 3550 can only supports RIPv2 and static route. Am I right?

Do I need 3650 for CCNP?
    It may took me 8 - 9 months to get my CCNP, but I want to make sure that I am getting the right switches for my lab.
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    thehourman wrote: »
    Do I need 3650 for CCNP?
    It may took me 8 - 9 months to get my CCNP, but I want to make sure that I am getting the right switches for my lab.

Since you have your CCNA, you've probably heard of Wendell Odom. If you haven't, he's written several of the popular books on CCNA/CCNP certifications. His site gives you a good idea of what you'll need: CCNP Build Lists

There are also links on that site to several blog entries about CCNA/CCNP lab setups and what pieces of equipment are best for which features, etc. Also, the cisco feature navigator can tell you what products support which features. I'd check it out, too.
    The 3560s are needed because the 3550s dont support private VLANs. Also, some features are only done in software on the 3550s (IPv6 for example) meaning you have to do hacks like building tunnels between them to route IPv6.

The 3550s can support more than that though, I do believe they can do OSPF and EIGRP if you are using the EMI image. The SMI is what has the limits

• thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    So the CCNP doesn't really need 3560 then, at least based on Wendel's website.

I am planning to get the 3550 EMI, and I already have 2 2950EI and 1 2950 switches.
    Studying:
    Reading:
    So the CCNP doesn't really need 3560 then, at least based on Wendel's website.

I am planning to get the 3550 EMI, and I already have 2 2950EI and 1 2950 switches.

PVLANs are covered in the CCNP, but its not going to be a deal breaker. Practice them a bit on the PacketLife lab and that'll do it.

• alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What exactly the difference between 3550 EMI and 3560?

Catalyst 3560 and 3550 Comparison | INE