Options

QUALS, and having a JOB is half the battle!!!

Hi guys, I am starting my new job as a network engineer sometime next week, I always try to have a plan of attack when going into something, one of them is "smash and grab" hehe just kidding, anyway the reason I started this thread is to share my plans to make me successful on my job, I will list some of the things in my agenda that will serve as my foundation to be successful on my upcoming new position.

1. Document/diagram current network topology/technology in place (most existing network diagrams I've seen from my previous companies are mediocre).
2. Prepare my offline technology references.
3. Prepare my tools, such as Solarwinds Engineer toolset etc. etc.
4. Be extremely organized.
4. Observe peers/manager behaviour, company culture, and adjust to their liking being a new comer.
5. Team building with peers/manager, this include lunch etc. or small talks socializing.
6. A whole lot of listening especially to the people who's already been there, until I master the datacenter.
7. Being on time, exceeding expectation, excellent/proactiv communication/positive can do attitude.
8. Not stepping on anyone's toes even if there's a monster eating away the current datacenter.
9. Be neutral with office politics and not take side but to upheld what's the companies best interest (either we like it or not they will always exist everywhere)
10. Ignore baddies :P

If you have any suggestions please feel free to add them here, hopefuly this will also help others as well.

Comments

• Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Dress to the office standards, and most importantly, be likable to everyone.
  • Options
    thomas130thomas130 Member Posts: 184
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Dress to the office standards, and most importantly, be likable to everyone.

I agree I think the most important thing in an office environment is to be likable. For example there are two people one is very good at his job but a bit of a dick, or someone who is ok not as good as the other but far more easier to get along with.

Who do you think people go to for help?