Backup software for laptops

PiotrIrPiotrIr Member Posts: 236
I just wonder if you could advice me. I’m looking for relatively cheap or open source software which will backup (not necessarily synchronize) documents form laptops which are out site of the network. Users are using not very reliable connection like mobile broadband.

Unfortunately I do not want to use Microsoft folder redirection as from my experience, when you use it on not reliable connection, it causes some problems. One user lost all his documents because of broken connection.

Could you advise me solution please?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • PiotrIrPiotrIr Member Posts: 236
    Thank you for your replay.

Robocop and delta copy won’t do for me as I’m not able to centrally control it. If synchronization will stop to work for one user nobody will know. I’m looking for something more administrators friendly.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    With those options out, I have used SyncToy in the past and put a switch in the shortcut to make it run as a scheduled task.

Download details: SyncToy 2.1
  • dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    synctoy is good, not sure if you can centrally manage it though. Bacula may well be an option, its under Agpl so you can have a play with it
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    brad- wrote: »
    With those options out, I have used SyncToy in the past and put a switch in the shortcut to make it run as a scheduled task.

Download details: SyncToy 2.1

I've been testing out Sync Toy the past few weeks. For what we needed it for, I like it. Setting it up as a Win 7 scheduled task works well too.

Not sure about centrally managing it.
  • terryferaterryfera Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've hear good things about Amanda Backup before. Amanda Open Source Backup

It's Open Source and has a free community edition, I'm not entirely sure of the limitations of it but it may be worth looking in to.
  • PiotrIrPiotrIr Member Posts: 236
    Many thanks for your advices.

Now I need to do research and tests to find right solution for meicon_smile.gif
  • geek12geek12 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I suggest Handy Backup, it's a reliable laptop backup software. You can safeguard laptop data by storing it to FTP, desktop, CD, DVD and other media.
  • NewManSoonNewManSoon Banned Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Mercury#Mercury# Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    While I understand you are looking for a low cost backup solution, it may be possible to leverage your environment's existing backup infrastructure. Altiris, for example, has an end-device backup component. Of course, additional storage and licenses may be required.
  • estamandestamand Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Check out Cobian backup (http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm). I've been using it for a while. Works well.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    If you use synctoy, you can have it run as a scheduled task or shortcut...just fyi
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    estamand wrote: »
    Check out Cobian backup (http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm). I've been using it for a while. Works well.

+1 for Cobian. I use it on our POS machines, and only keep 7 days worth of db's. It's a great free program.
  • Stiltz79Stiltz79 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm also looking for something similar. I would like to find a solution that take a user's My Documents and Favorites and syncs them to their Home Folder when a remote user connects to the VPN. That way all of their information is constantly saved on our network and we are no longer responsible for recovering user's documents from their hard drive.