Options

Is it okay to use wikipedia as supplement for some study?

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
Take AES, I wanted to know a little more about AES for security+. Is it okay to rely on the wikipedia article to be accurate or have people found things downright wrong in relation to "technical" topics?
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A Wikipedia article is only as good as the sources it cites. If there aren't sources that are credible, then I tend to dismiss the article outright.

I will use a "wiki" just like I would have used an encyclopedia article to give me a jump start on what I should look for in credible sources. However, I would never use that encylopedia article as a source for my work, nor a wiki. If I wrote a paper that had encylopedia articles as sources, it could be the best paper ever, but I would fail, or at best get a D, which is still a fail. However, that same paper with proper sources will get me a B to an A.

This is how I was taught when I want to research a topic I'm unfamiliar with from a very young age.

I know you are researching AES as you want to know how that encryption works, and if the Wiki you are using has credible sources (peer-reviewed journals, white papers, documentation from the creators of AES, etc.) then that might be enough. Otherwise, you may want to continue digging.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Could you suggest a source of whitepapers on the subject of networking? Preferably free -_-
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I will point you to some link of websites where you can search. However i wont do the searching for you. Part of being a network engineer/technician/admin is to do your own research. So this is a good start for you and to get familiar with researching.

Cisco Systems, Inc - use the search at the top

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/ - look under the CCNA Security EXAM. They will have some documents/videos you can use to review the fundamentals of network security.

http://www.garykessler.net/library/crypto.html - is a very good tutorial. Pretty much gave you a one here hahaha

Goodluck.icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Take AES, I wanted to know a little more about AES for security+. Is it okay to rely on the wikipedia article to be accurate or have people found things downright wrong in relation to "technical" topics?

If you doubt the information presented to you there, follow the trail of references they leave you at the bottom. There's a great wealth of information to come from materials used to write Wikipedia pages.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Free basic networking turtorials from cisco

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-6074
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    I usually use Wiki to either confirm something I already know, or just to get a general overview on a topic. For example I wouldn't go to it to find out the ins and outs of the Dijkstra algorithm, but if I wanted to quickly see what a domain controller was or the basics of how a route reflector works, thats where I'd go.

If it intrigued me enough and/or left me asking questions, I'd start searching elsewhere.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Treat a Wiki point as something learned at the water cooler.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?