Options

Top 10 IT Positions by Prestige

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□

Comments

• Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Maybe i am biased but no one on that list can do their job without the network guy LOL

unless the system analyst is considered a network engineer.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    chrisone wrote: »
    Maybe i am biased but no one on that list can do their job without the network guy LOL

They forgot to mention that when issues plague the data center the Network team is the first one blamed and usually the one who ends up finding the problem (which was usually caused by one of the other 9 on the list). Network Engineering is not the most prestigious role, but the are the Marines of the technology realm.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□

what about the network admin whos on the list?? hes a network guy ?
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    down77 wrote: »
    They forgot to mention that when issues plague the data center the Network team is the first one blamed and usually the one who ends up finding the problem (which was usually caused by one of the other 9 on the list). Network Engineering is not the most prestigious role, but the are the Marines of the technology realm.

Never heard it put that way, but it makes so much since. Networks always goes in 1st.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Shodown, a Marine friend who works as a Network Engineer for AT&T was the one who told me that. "First to be deployed, last to come home."
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Love how they put #10 on there. The help desk gets no respect, even from management.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

Whenever I hear that smack, I instantly respond that I'm the one responsible for the network guy(s) to get paid. Our payroll is inhouse handled by our inhouse PeopleSoft servers that I maintain. If they hit the UPS killswitch, payroll can't process our checks...

In fact to take it one step further, I can make it where just the network guy(s) payroll isn't processed....that's about 2-3 lines of SQL... :D

Network guys...they make stuff run
    Database guys...we really make stuff run... ;)
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    And I am the engineer who can pull the plug on the datacenter / server so neither of you would get paid :p
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We are also the network engineers who keep you safe from the outskirts of hackers looking to cause your data bases harm.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    After reading this thread, what popped into mind was 1 Corinthians 12:12-26.

Most positions in IT are dependent on their fellow workers to function. Which is more important is debateable, but the fact is that to function well, all are necessary. Of course, it's always nice to be the one making more money, but we can't all drive Ferrari's. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    How is this a list of prestige? Items 4 to 10 are all majorly dissed by the writer.

Anyway, if you're after prestige in IT you're there for the wrong reason. I'd rather be in a role that actually makes a difference to people and the company.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    #2 "[Programmers] are typically held in a special place of esteem." icon_king.gifbowing.gif

Oh please...icon_rolleyes.gif

The term "programmer" is just one step up from "code monkey," "code grinder," and "Can't you write a program without any bugs?" icon_tongue.gif

If we are to rank the #2 spot then at least dignify us with the proper title of "software engineer."
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Our QA department just walked over and introduced someone to our department. Her quote was "Here is the technical operations department... They know everything so if you need someone then ask these guys."

There you go... The system/network engineers know EVERYTHING.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Aroooga!
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What if your job includes 1,2,3,5 and 7? And 8 and 10...
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    How is this a list of prestige? Items 4 to 10 are all majorly dissed by the writer.

My thoughts exactly.
    What if your job includes 1,2,3,5 and 7? And 8 and 10...

You chose the wrong career and should have been an actor/neurosurgeon or the like where you can officially use the work 'prestige' in place of 'geek' ;)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    In all fairness I think that network admin in this article is the network guy. Most people nowadays have to wear more than one hat.
  • Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    Network Engineering is not the most prestigious role, but the are the Marines of the technology realm.

I am stealing this :)

It makes even more sense if you have ever been in the military. Even though a Marine (or Army Soldier) might specialize in one thing or another, when the #### hits the fan, everyone is infantry first.

So when #### hits the fan and our network is being blamed, we go back to our basics and prove out that it's not.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    After reading this thread, what popped into mind was 1 Corinthians 12:12-26.

Most positions in IT are dependent on their fellow workers to function. Which is more important is debateable, but the fact is that to function well, all are necessary. Of course, it's always nice to be the one making more money, but we can't all drive Ferrari's. icon_wink.gif

This is the mindset you have to bring into an IT shop when you are in a team environment. There were countless times (in fact I have two specific things in mind...one yesterday and the other last week) where I'm working with my network colleagues to solve a problem.

It's so easy to point a finger, walk away and say "not my job..."; it's not so easy to work together and solve a problem.

At the end of the day, whether it's the network or the databases (for example), if we can't fix the problem, we're all out of work! The same is true with programmers and database administrators. It's not necessary to know how to write code, but it is necessary to read it to do your job as a DBA. When something gets migrated and all of a sudden the database is slower than a Yugo, I better know what's running against my database to ascertain what the issue is. Being able to function in a team environment is essential to IT...period!

Finger pointing, comparing the size of *whatever*....at the end of the day, no one cares.
  • Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    erpadmin wrote: »

It's so easy to point a finger, walk away and say "not my job..."; it's not so easy to work together and solve a problem.

At the end of the day, whether it's the network or the databases (for example), if we can't fix the problem, we're all out of work!

Finger pointing, comparing the size of *whatever*....at the end of the day, no one cares.

too true
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison