I noticed something weird

thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
Perhaps, "weird" is not the exact corresponding word but listen; While we are running PCs on the network, attaching right cables, having properly working NIC also correct IP configuration will not be enough. What else should i need to do? Maybe enabling network adapter!

Where does the topic take you away?

I wonder this ; during configuration of routers, we are required to open interfaces first that we should use by entering "No shut" command. Is this the same thing with enabling network adapter on PCs?

Moreover, on routers or other network devices , we are not installing network drivers i think. But doing this for PCs. Why not?
Because of they are included in IOS?
Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

Comments

• Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    There are not "drivers" for switches and routers. The software needed to run the hardware is embedded in the ios or ROM, I imagine. For example, a 2610 router can use a nm-4a/s, but it can't use a nm-2fe2w because the hardware/software doesn't support it. For the cards that do work though, they are "plug and play".

There isn't a "no shutdown" command on a computer for a network card though. If it isn't working, it is probably a problem with the driver. You can also enable/disable a NIC from the network connections part of windows. I'm sure there is also a way to do that from the command line.
  • FuturaFutura Member Posts: 191
    I always forget the windows firewall...
  • ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    is this a windows machine, linux ? what kind of connection are you trying to stablish?
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Greenmet29 wrote: »
    The software needed to run the hardware is embedded in the ios or ROM, I imagine.

Yes, and isn't that what a driver is? icon_cool.gif
  • certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    No. It isn't called a driver. Software in ROM is called "firmware" and iOS is a more like an OS.

Drivers, firmware, OS all are software but of different kinds.

A driver is like a module without which OS won't be able to access the hardware.
    the driver is what the software uses to communicate with the hardware. rom, firmware are totally different things. the IOS needs to have some sort of controller or driver to comunicate with the different network adapters installed in the router
  • thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So, what is the exact answer supposed to be? Do network devices come with their controllers or drivers by default(included in IOS)?
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

thedrama wrote: »
    So, what is the exact answer supposed to be? Do network devices come with their controllers or drivers by default(included in IOS)?

What is the exact question supposed to be?
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Perhaps, "weird" is not the exact corresponding word but listen; While we are running PCs on the network, attaching right cables, having properly working NIC also correct IP configuration will not be enough. What else should i need to do? Maybe enabling network adapter!

I wonder this ; during configuration of routers, we are required to open interfaces first that we should use by entering "No shut" command. Is this the same thing with enabling network adapter on PCs?

Moreover, on routers or other network devices , we are not installing network drivers i think. But doing this for PCs. Why not?

Huh? icon_scratch.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    Futura wrote: »
    What is the exact question supposed to be?

:D I second this

i guess anyone can get a CCNA now days icon_sad.gif , there has to be some sort of communication between hardware and software it could be a driver, or software with build in support for specific network cards or devices. Now of course when you buy a NIC comes with a disk for the drivers for the different OS that it could be supported in. in case of a cisco devices they already have build in support for the devices that are built in as well as future upgrade.
    so you could say that they have to come with a driver or controller by default.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□

When I first read this I thought you had a problem with your network, now i'm starting to think you simply have questions about the theory of how your network works.
    Cisco and Microsoft are too different vendors. So, they are not going to be the same. Cisco uses CLI to configure hardware, Microsoft uses GUI and DOS. Microsoft's GUI version of no shutdown is right-click enable.
    Since there are tons of PC hardware vendors your going to need to install drivers from time to time. Since Cisco routers use Cisco WIC cards there is no need for driver installation.

apples and oranges...
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    Priston wrote: »
    When I first read this I thought you had a problem with your network, now i'm starting to think you simply have questions about the theory of how your network works.

Cisco and Microsoft are too different vendors. So, they are not going to be the same. Cisco uses CLI to configure hardware, Microsoft uses GUI and DOS. Microsoft's GUI version of no shutdown is right-click enable.
    Since there are tons of PC hardware vendors your going to need to install drivers from time to time. Since Cisco routers use Cisco WIC cards there is no need for driver installation.

apples and oranges...

is all the same they all use the same network protocols to comunicate MS also uses CLI AKA DOS and Cisco also uses GUI to enable and disable devices SDM. if you havent notice a router has RAM (Interl sometimes), CPU , some sort of hard drive they are just tha computer using different OS (CCNA really!!!)
    Like once the CEO of Cisco said " We arent a hardware company we are a software company"
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ilcram19-2 wrote: »
    is all the same they all use the same network protocols to comunicate MS also uses CLI AKA DOS and Cisco also uses GUI to enable and disable devices SDM. if you havent notice a router has RAM (Interl sometimes), CPU , some sort of hard drive they are just tha computer using different OS (CCNA really!!!)
    Like once the CEO of Cisco said " We arent a hardware company we are a software company"
    I'm just saying hardware in cisco routers are designed specifically for cisco.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    You guys really do have a lot of patience.

To be given a question that doesn't really make sense and have the generosity to answer it the best as possible is truly a credit to this forum and makes it a pleasure to be part of the community.

:D
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Futura wrote: »
    To be given a question that doesn't really make sense and have the generosity to answer it the best as possible is truly a credit to this forum and makes it a pleasure to be part of the community.
    And just a reminder -- not everyone posting here is a native English speaker.

The funny thing -- some of the most grammar, punctuation, and capitalization challenged posters do tend to be in the US. icon_rolleyes.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    mikej412 wrote: »
    And just a reminder -- not everyone posting here is a native English speaker.

The funny thing -- some of the most grammar, punctuation, and capitalization challenged posters do tend to be in the US. icon_rolleyes.gif

Messed up mike are you saying cuz of me !!! i still think u cool, hey well remember that the US is the most diverse contry in the world and it is common for people to speak more than one language, French, Italian, German, Spanish, etc you name it. maybe you talking about england?
    Priston wrote: »
    I'm just saying hardware in cisco routers are designed specifically for cisco.

may be the form factor of the card to fit in to a cisco device but not for cisco since other router have support for WIC cards as well and do the same tasks. Same way a laptop have hardware NIC designed to fit only in it but it does the samething one would do on a PC.
    maybe you talking about england?

Did you mean 'England' ?, haha, just kidding.

Im from England and some of the kids these days say 'lol' in everyday conversations.
  • thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i guess anyone can get a CCNA now days icon_sad.gif , there has to be some sort of communication between hardware and software it could be a driver, or software with build in support for specific network cards or devices. Now of course when you buy a NIC comes with a disk for the drivers for the different OS that it could be supported in. in case of a cisco devices they already have build in support for the devices that are built in as well as future upgrade.
    so you could say that they have to come with a driver or controller by default.

is It all about the manufacturing date of all components and whether every
    drivers of every components are implemented at the manufacturing date?