Options

Why don't I just quite college and come to IT?

cooldudemanuscooldudemanus Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am still in college working on my degree working a crap job I don't enjoy when I got thinking "Why don't I just succeed as a college dropout in IT"

It really makes me mad that I have IT friends that are succeeding WITHOUT a degree!!! Why can't I have an opportunity to succeed without a degree like them. That's right, because I don't have any dam connections to just hook me up without a degree.

end rant.

The irony here : I just realized I spelled a few words wrong in the heading and in my post. Not bad for a potential college dropout wanting to work in IT right. I'm sure I will have excellent success if I can't spell.

Comments

• Options
    shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    Here is a whole thread with reasons why that is a bad idea.
    Stay in school and get that degree!

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/63980-seeking-your-opinion-drop-out-school-focus-studying-certs.html
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am still in college working on my degree working a crap job I don't enjoy when I got thinking "Why don't I just succeed as a college dropout in IT"

It really makes me mad that I have IT friends that are succeeding WITHOUT a degree!!! Why can't I have an opportunity to succeed without a degree like them. That's right, because I don't have any dam connections to just hook me up without a degree.

end rant.

The irony here : I just realized I spelled a few words wrong in the heading and in my post. Not bad for a potential college dropout wanting to work in IT right. I'm sure I will have excellent success if I can't spell.

I guess you're not gonna like me too much. I am that college dropout and two out of the four IT jobs were, in fact, "hooked up" by my sister. It's important to note though that my current job was ALL me (no hooks) and I make three times what I did when I first started IT. The private sector job that I got pre-9/11 was also all me. So yeah, I had an in for two jobs, but I had to keep myself in both long enough for the next opportunities.

(Edit: I'm not going to apologize for having an in with my first and third job. Just like with my career, I use every tool (within ethics and reason) I have at my disposal, (in life, liberty and happiness) to get what I need done; including getting a job. Hook-ups can get you a job, but only you can determine whether your job is kept. In my current job, there were people who had an in with my boss that were vying for my current position. Truth be told, I didn't even put on a full court press; just went in there very professional and answered most of their questions correctly. I was very comfortable, because I was going to be ok whether I got this position or not as I was already employed.) They must have sensed the confidence, because two weeks later, I had gotten offer, but gave them a conditional "yes" pending offer-in-hand.)

I hope you don't think I'm bragging or anything; I'm just stating fact. My overall point that I want to convey to you is that I regret dropping out of college. Many of my friends that I met in college (mostly fraternity brothers) went on to jobs in management. The jobs they'd attempt to hook me up with would have been nowhere near status or salary, because I'm non-degreed and don't even have a Masters like many of them do.

If you go for the fast buck, it becomes much harder to go back to school (and you will want to finish at some point, whether you realize that now or later).

Heed this advice, if nothing else...stay in school and ignore the fast buck. Unless you got a wife and five kids (or even one), you don't need the money now. The money WILL come later...I just wish someone would have told me that, but as a young man, I too was a paper chaser. (In my case it was cash not certs.)
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    I went to a tech school, graduated but I kind of feel like a dropout. I desperately want to go back to school to obtain a degree, but do not have the time nor available cash.

I constantly worry what will happen to me when my job is consolidated to a different state in two years. These are times I wish I had a degree. Searching for a job is going to be hell.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well I have no degree and have never had hook-ups to get any job. I always applied for jobs and beat out the people who had the hook-ups because I am good at interviews and show my skills. So it is possible to obtain a good job as I have worked for local government and private sector companies that are great to work for. At the same time I am now 27, married and have a new baby. I wish that I had got the degree a long time ago so I wouldn't be worrying about it at this point in my life when I should be focusing on my family and career. I would say stick it out and get it over with.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2 words....glass ceiling
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Because in general it's easier to succeed as a college graduate since you'll qualify for more job opportunities -- assuming you've applied yourself, gotten good grades, impressed some instructors/professors and have/learned the people skills to leverage your education and contacts into a much better job then you could get stumbling and bumbling around on your own as a college dropout.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I guess you're not gonna like me too much. I am that college dropout and two out of the four IT jobs were, in fact, "hooked up" by my sister. It's important to note though that my current job was ALL me (no hooks) and I make three times what I did when I first started IT. The private sector job that I got pre-9/11 was also all me. So yeah, I had an in for two jobs, but I had to keep myself in both long enough for the next opportunities.

(Edit: I'm not going to apologize for having an in with my first and third job. Just like with my career, I use every tool (within ethics and reason) I have at my disposal, (in life, liberty and happiness) to get what I need done; including getting a job. Hook-ups can get you a job, but only you can determine whether your job is kept. In my current job, there were people who had an in with my boss that were vying for my current position. Truth be told, I didn't even put on a full court press; just went in there very professional and answered most of their questions correctly. I was very comfortable, because I was going to be ok whether I got this position or not as I was already employed.) They must have sensed the confidence, because two weeks later, I had gotten offer, but gave them a conditional "yes" pending offer-in-hand.)

I hope you don't think I'm bragging or anything; I'm just stating fact. My overall point that I want to convey to you is that I regret dropping out of college. Many of my friends that I met in college (mostly fraternity brothers) went on to jobs in management. The jobs they'd attempt to hook me up with would have been nowhere near status or salary, because I'm non-degreed and don't even have a Masters like many of them do.

If you go for the fast buck, it becomes much harder to go back to school (and you will want to finish at some point, whether you realize that now or later).

Heed this advice, if nothing else...stay in school and ignore the fast buck. Unless you got a wife and five kids (or even one), you don't need the money now. The money WILL come later...I just wish someone would have told me that, but as a young man, I too was a paper chaser. (In my case it was cash not certs.)

This is the one flaw with capitalism that I have a beef with. People get jobs via KNOWING people and not through qualifcations. Yes, you had to prove yourself within the company. However, in my opinion, a majority of most jobs can be learned on the job. So, why should you get a job because you have a powerful contanct. Shouldn't everyone have access to that powerful contanct just like everyone has access to education(scholarships,loans)

No, I am not going to drop out of college. However, it really makes me mad when people succeed with out it in white collar jobs because they know someone. Then, they come to people like me and think they are the ****....it pisses me off. You only got your start because you know someone which is NOT an opprotunity that everyone has. How about I get a job without qualifications? That's right my daddy is lower middle class.
  • Options
    Monkerz wrote: »
    I went to a tech school, graduated but I kind of feel like a dropout. I desperately want to go back to school to obtain a degree, but do not have the time nor available cash.

I constantly worry what will happen to me when my job is consolidated to a different state in two years. These are times I wish I had a degree. Searching for a job is going to be hell.
    '

I have seen that before. Daddy hooks up someone with a job.

A couple years later daddy dies. The company hires a new person for less money. Then they try to find a new job of equal value. Guess what? Since there is no formalized lisence that has to be obtianed, the job pays less.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    it really makes me mad when people succeed with out it in white collar jobs because they know someone.
    When Joe Slacker applies for job walking in off the street you don't find out that they are a slacker until you hire them and find the job not getting done.

If Nancy Hardworker recommends her cousin Bob Hardworker for a job, there is a good chance that he's going to be a hard worker. And if Joe Slacker recommends his cousin for that new job opening (without realizing that it's his job you're hiring for), you probably don't want to hire his cousin, Mo Slacker.

Usually a good worker isn't going to recommend their lazy cousin for job since it could make them look bad for recommending them.

And if someone's parents or other relatives own the company (or hold the elected office) then your option is usually suck it up and do your job (and part of the slackers) or find a new job elsewhere.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    This is the one flaw with capitalism that I have a beef with. People get jobs via KNOWING people and not through qualifcations. Yes, you had to prove yourself within the company. However, in my opinion, a majority of most jobs can be learned on the job. So, why should you get a job because you have a powerful contanct. Shouldn't everyone have access to that powerful contanct just like everyone has access to education(scholarships,loans)

No, I am not going to drop out of college. However, it really makes me mad when people succeed with out it in white collar jobs because they know someone. Then, they come to people like me and think they are the ****....it pisses me off. You only got your start because you know someone which is NOT an opprotunity that everyone has. How about I get a job without qualifications? That's right my daddy is lower middle class.

My sister was not a "powerful contanct" [sic]. She just happened to know the right people to introduce me to. You are assuming that I didn't know anything about IT before I got my first IT gig. I can assure you, I was building PCs since 1991, and none of this Plug and Play crap...you had to know how to jumper interrupts, com ports, etc. In fact, I didn't grow up wanting to do IT like a lot of people have...it was (in the beginning) just a job....but after a decade, it becomes a career. I had been dealing with PCs and fixing PCs for neighbors, not to mention running a BBS, before I ever touched my first IT job.

This why I have always stated you don't need a college degree to get a job in IT. However you DO need a college degree if you ever want a shot of a management position. I won't even be considered without it...not when there are people applying for positions who have MASTERS wanting IT management gigs.

You can hate me and folks like me all you want...(really it's ok, I won't take it personally). But you will be much better than I was at your age when you graduate college, instead of playing catchup like I am.

BTW, I do not think I'm the ****. I let others make that determination...one way or the other. At the end of the day, those opinions, (good or bad) don't and won't keep me up at night.
  • Options
    geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
    it really makes me mad when people succeed with out it in white collar jobs because they know someone.

I don't mean to be harsh but you need to get over this and start developing relationships with people that can help you get where you want to be. I wish we lived in a world where what you know and how hard you worked were the only deciding factors. They are NOT and the sooner you embrace this the faster you will get to where you want to be!
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    The degree isnt about knowledge per say, its about showing employers that you can stick to something and finish it. Having the degree will do 2 things - give you more opportunities for employment, and second, let you finish this chapter of your life and move on.

That said, yes, you can quit and work. Most americans dont have degrees, and they arent really needed in the tech world unless you're a programmer or engineer.

If you do quit school, you'll probably regret it in the longrun. Short term, you'll be fine. In your mid 30's or 40's when you're married with kids and dont have any time, you'll kick yourself.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    back to the OP,I think you should get an Associates, then work, then finish up the Bachelor's and possibly Master's. going all the way through to a Bachelor's is not what I recommend to a newbie
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    RPMar52RPMar52 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□

end rant.

February 2011 Unemployment Rate for all workers: 9.5%
    February 2011 Unemployment Rate for those age 25 and older with a bachelor's degree: 4.3%

Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics

Stick it out and get the paper man. I don't think anyone would argue that experience isn't king. But the facts don't lie, either. The degree is worth it, maybe not for the knowledge, but definitely from an economic analysis standpoint.

I felt the same frustrations during school and considered dropping out, but I would've had a fraction of the opportunities I've had if I dropped out. Suck it up and jump through the hoops to get the piece of paper. Employers do value it.

How many times have you seen "Requirements: Bachelor's Degree" on a job listing?

Conversely, how many times have you seen "College graduates need not apply?"

I say stick it out, but good luck with your decision.
    Studying for: Linux+; C|EH
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did your friends get their jobs back when the economy was still kind of strong in IT? I know I get a lot of "you are lucky you got your start when you did" stuff from people just starting out.

Now a days your competing with people who have a lot of experience so its a buyers market for the employer and not the employee.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This is the one flaw with capitalism that I have a beef with. People get jobs via KNOWING people and not through qualifcations.

That's not a flaw with capitalism, it's simply human nature.

People in the Soviet Union got good jobs in exactly the same way.

MS
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I just started a new IT job. The IT field right now is getting rough. I'm ahardware technician and we are buiding a datacenter. We basically put servers in racks and run cables (we also have to label all the cables) and I am the least qualified (experiencewise) person there. We have 3 network engineers and a windows system admin on my shift, none have degrees and are settling for this job. It's not bad pay but is basically just a job. These others are where they are partially because of no degree.
    Get your degree now. Try to get some experience while getting your degree and try to build up some contacts.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    eMeS wrote: »
    That's not a flaw with capitalism, it's simply human nature.

MS

I don't think its human nature totally but usually companies have to hire somebody based on qualifications they "say" they have and most of the time they only have some certs and a degree to fall back on with work history. So references on the inside help a ton because if you refer somebody to somebody you know you are putting your reputation on the line. If you work in the IT department and you are trying to get your friend hired, you know if your friend is a good worker or a total moron. If he or she is a total moron you are not going to try and get this person hired because you are just making a mess for youself at work.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I'm graduating May 6th with an A.S., already seems like friends and family members see me differently. Here's to hoping employers do too drunken_smilie.gif Stick with it dude! Before you know it *bam* you're done and graduating!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□

And your attitude will have a larger impact on your career than a degree, so you may want to focus more on yourself and less on what others have. Reality is that people are jerks & knowing someone can get you a job. Nothing is fair, but the smart people do win.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    I just started a new IT job. The IT field right now is getting rough. I'm ahardware technician and we are buiding a datacenter. We basically put servers in racks and run cables (we also have to label all the cables) and I am the least qualified (experiencewise) person there. We have 3 network engineers and a windows system admin on my shift, none have degrees and are settling for this job. It's not bad pay but is basically just a job. These others are where they are partially because of no degree.
    Get your degree now. Try to get some experience while getting your degree and try to build up some contacts.

I agree earweed, get your degree NOW!! Finish what you started!!
    I’m a recent IT grad( DEC 2010) and I can tell you for a fact starting out in IT or any other field in these troubled times is no walk in the park. Every day I apply for jobs and it’s hard to get a start in IT, because there are so many people out of work that have years of experience. Not having a degree will make you seems less qualified for a given position, because there are countless other candidates that do have a degree. Not to mention that I do see a lot of jobs that list a A.A.S degree as a bare minimum requirement. Also, the degree in some cases can be used in lieu of not having 2 years of experience.

Have you thought about volunteering?

Have you applied at geek squad and Best buy? Have you applied at mom and opo computer shops? Have ayou applied at Microcenter? Staples? ect ect..

Are you getting certifications? Do you have any?

Are you volunteering with organizations and using your IT skills?

Would you consider doing internships?

Have you talked to your career services department at your college?

Do you have an error free resume?

If you’re not work, what are you doing during your free time? Side Note-I actually saw a question like this on a job application.

Do you have a linked in account?

Are you making contacts in school? Do you talk to your peers?

Have you talked to your IT instructors about entry level IT jobs? My instructor gave me two job leads and said I could use him for a referrence.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    bottom line: There is no shortcuts in life. Muscle it out.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Stay in college --> get into IT --> finish college --> stay in IT --> success
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□

Easy for me to answer. I wouldn't hire you. (If I were a hiring manager.) There are far too many other applicants/job seekers who do have college degrees. And for certain positions in IA/auditing where image and perception are VERY important, I'd rather market my auditors to customers advertising their experience, certs, and degrees.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    Unforg1venUnforg1ven Member Posts: 108
    Anonymouse wrote: »
    Stay in college --> get into IT --> finish college --> stay in IT --> success

Profit! :D
    Next on Tap>> WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration
    MCSA:2008 Complete >> Capstone left!

####################################
    "One of God's own prototypes... too weird to live, too rare to die..."
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    good question which brings me "why dont i quit my job and become a millionare"
    i never tought of it like that
  • Options
    colemic wrote: »
    Easy for me to answer. I wouldn't hire you. (If I were a hiring manager.) There are far too many other applicants/job seekers who do have college degrees. And for certain positions in IA/auditing where image and perception are VERY important, I'd rather market my auditors to customers advertising their experience, certs, and degrees.

So, gone are the days when the Liberal arts major in college can go "Gee, I think I am going to become the next Mark Zuckerman of the IT world.icon_cheers.gif

Only computer science/Cis majors are getting the jobs
  • Options
    So, gone are the days when the Liberal arts major in college can go "Gee, I think I am going to become the next Mark Zuckerman of the IT world.icon_cheers.gif

Only computer science/Cis majors are getting the jobs

Perspective time.....

Mark ZUCKERBERG, like Bill Gates before him, dropped out of Harvard!

Mark Zuckerberg, like Bill Gates, comes from a family of money (both parents of Zuckerberg's are doctors).

Mark Zuckerberg, like Bill Gates, takes an idea that already existed prior to his "creation" of Facebook and markets the crap out of it...

In short, unless you are some entrepreneurial genius, the school you're dropping out of is Harvard, and mommy and daddy can bail you out, keep your *** in school. Period.

By the way...both Gates and Zuckerberg have one other thing in common...they were on the Computer Science side of the fence....

The Information Technology side SUPPORTS technology that was created in the Computer Science space...even if that technology was ripped off from technology that existed prior (which is why Gates and Zuckerberg can be viewed as marketing geniuses...and mind you, I hate Facebook with a passion, but that's neither here nor there...)
  • Options
    Well Bill Gates' mother was a big factor in getting him his opportunity early on since she served on the board for the United Way along with the then President of IBM. What can be learned from this though is the importance of networking opening doors.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't put off work for school, and don't put off school for work. There is no sense in either one when it comes to IT. Start your career now and stay in school. Consider candidates A and B at age 30...

Candidate A) Started college at 18, did an internship in school and started help desk upon graduation at 22 (probably 23). Degree and eight years of experience.

Candidate B) Started working at 18 doing help desk work and waited a couple of years to start school in the evenings. Finished college at 26. Degree and 12 years of experience.

A lot can happen in between for each, but experience is a huge factor when you are going after the higher end jobs. That can be the different between a $65-70k/year job and a $100k/year job.

And yes, I am Candidate B, and I am 30. My regret is that I would have started working on my degree sooner, but my choice to work was sound. I went to school in the evenings with a full course load for four years (including Summers). Also, being able to juggle something like that makes you realize how easy life can be if you are only being mediocre and everyone else is honestly being lazy.

If you are wanting to give up school because you want what your friends have, you will later want to go back to school to get what someone else has. If you value yourself, invest in yourself to the fullest extent that you can. Bust your tail and always be closing.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro