Options

did i just shoot myself in the foot?

edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
I got a call from a staffing firm concerning a project as a "Desktop “Depot” Support Technician". I'll be doing a roll out from lotus notes to exchange server. He asked if i have experience with exchange and i told him i do but very little. Fact is, i used it once but it was long ago and i don't remember what i did nor how i did it. Did i shoot myself in the foot? The job starts on 3/22 so i got a little bit of time to cram as much info as i can into my brain. Any tips?

Comments

  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    i used it once but it was long ago and i don't remember what i did nor how i did it.

    This part right here could have been worded a little more "professional" I guess. Maybe something like "It was a while ago but I am confident with some time to refresh my memory I am sure I would be able to pick it back up" or your being honest and have no clue what you are doing? :)
  • Options
    SouljackerSouljacker Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't think he actually said that to the recruiter - it looks like what he was thinking afterwards.

    You will be fine. These kinds of deployments always have a process that's created by the leads. You will have direction on what you need to do, just be ready to re-learn and ask questions when you don't understand something. Don't try to be a hero and "figure it out yourself". Just ask when you don't understand something.
  • Options
    edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    This part right here could have been worded a little more "professional" I guess. Maybe something like "It was a while ago but with I am confident with some time to refresh my memory I am sure I would be able to pick it back up"

    This is almost exactly what i told him icon_wink.gif.
  • Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    I would rather hire someone who admits what he doesn't know so I can plan on teaching him than hire someone who lies and then fails when I need the job done NOW.

    If you shot yourself in the foot it probably wasn't by not claiming to know something you didn't. It was more likely by not stressing that it doesn't matter what you know now because you learn fast and will have the basics down by Monday if thats what it takes to get the job.
  • Options
    edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jtoast wrote: »
    I would rather hire someone who admits what he doesn't know so I can plan on teaching him than hire someone who lies and then fails when I need the job done NOW.

    If you shot yourself in the foot it probably wasn't by not claiming to know something you didn't. It was more likely by not stressing that it doesn't matter what you know now because you learn fast and will have the basics down by Monday if thats what it takes to get the job.

    Yeah, i kinda screwed up there.

    They sent me about 11 forms i have to send them..this is gonna cost me like 50 bucks!
  • Options
    edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here's the job description



    Title: PC Migration Technician Project
    Location: New York, NY
    Job Type: Contract
    Inc is working with a client in New York, NY (10285) to provide PC Techs on-site to be part of a migration. The customer is going from Lotus Notes to Outlook / Exchange and they are putting together a migration model that will consist of set-up, actual migration, post migration support, and take down. There will be several technicians on-site and all instructions will be given by an on-site Project Manager. The project starts 3/21 and runs until 3/29. However, a few techs will be asked to stay on until 4/4 to assist with the site's take down. Requirements: PC Migration Technician Project Qualifications:
    • 1-3 years of PC Tech related experience
    • Previous experience troubleshooting users
    • Excellent customer service skills
    • A background check and drug screen are mandatory
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well, yes. That was a mistake. But if you were jobless I think you can forgive yourself.

    The answer is study your ass off. 8hours a day.

    which version?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Well, yes. That was a mistake. But if you were jobless I think you can forgive yourself.

    The answer is study your ass off. 8hours a day.

    which version?

    When i asked which version he told me didn't know. From what i read, it can't be done with as easily with 2010 since the transporter suite has been dropped. I hope it's 2007 since it seems like it would be an easier migration. With 2010, you'll need to use 3rd party tools or go from 2007 to 2010.

    I'm using this as a study guide
    Migrating from Domino to Exchange 2007 (Part 1)
  • Options
    ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I studied all night and still don't understand a thing. I feel that im doomed already and don't plan on taking the gig. I'm gonna call to cancel and see if they can find something more entry level for me. Forgot to add that the recruiting firm is kforce.
  • Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    edzy wrote: »
    I studied all night and still don't understand a thing. I feel that im doomed already and don't plan on taking the gig. I'm gonna call to cancel and see if they can find something more entry level for me. Forgot to add that the recruiting firm is kforce.

    Without confidence you will never be successful in the IT field. What's the absolute worst that could happen in a 1 week contract?

    IT job descriptions are probably the most misleading of them all filled with all this technical jargon and experience requirements like 10 - 15 years. Don't let any of that discourage you.

    I noticed 2 things in the description:

    -Previous experience troubleshooting users
    -Excellent customer service skills

    Sounds like you are going to be helping users transition from LN to outlook. They will need help with simple stuff that typical users can't extract using F1. The contract is just one week, and trust me, migrating from LN to outlook is not a 1 week process. Take the job and get as much experience as you can.
  • Options
    edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    okplaya wrote: »
    Without confidence you will never be successful in the IT field. What's the absolute worst that could happen in a 1 week contract?

    IT job descriptions are probably the most misleading of them all filled with all this technical jargon and experience requirements like 10 - 15 years. Don't let any of that discourage you.

    I noticed 2 things in the description:

    -Previous experience troubleshooting users
    -Excellent customer service skills

    Sounds like you are going to be helping users transition from LN to outlook. They will need help with simple stuff that typical users can't extract using F1. The contract is just one week, and trust me, migrating from LN to outlook is not a 1 week process. Take the job and get as much experience as you can.

    I have a positive outlook on things, but i just feel iffy about this. I haven't got any exposure to LN or outlook. I don't wanna go in there and embarrass myself.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    They're probably going to give you step-by-step instructions that are nearly impossible to screw up. Hope you get the job!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    They're probably going to give you step-by-step instructions that are nearly impossible to screw up. Hope you get the job!

    I'm gonna give it a shot.

    I spoke to the recruiter and this is what he said. "[FONT=&quot]You’ll be fine…strength in numbers. There will be close to 30 Kforce techs onsite for us. I believe the instructions should be adequate."[/FONT]
  • Options
    marktemarkte Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just wanted to echo the other comments. I've done several of these projects for extra money over the years and on every one, the planning was completely done so that there was very little room for error. It's not like they just randomly picked a day to do this and grabbed some bodies. :)

    We always had a lead who was familiar with the project and there were resources available in case of problems. Don't worry about, go in and do a good job and then you can use that experience on your resume
  • Options
    AvidNetworkerAvidNetworker Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As others have said, IT jobs are way overstated in the descriptions. All the time I see stuff like CCIE preferred, for run of the mill 60k IT jobs, haha.

    Also, the exchange stuff, don't sweat it, just go on the interview. You do get points for honest, but at the same time, don't undersell your abilities.

    If I don't know something, I say, I don't have much formal experience with X, but I am a quick learner, and can surely get up to speed fast. Then I mention a skill on my resume that is close to that one, and mention how I didn't know anything about Y until I was on the job.
  • Options
    edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I start Tuesday morning icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    poriggityporiggity Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck bud! Hope it works out well for you, and remember to just be confident!
    Scott
    A+, 70-270, and working on 70-290 now. Certs are good.
    claymoore wrote:
    If you're unzipping your fly to show off your A+, N+ and Sec+, I'm going to ask if it's cold in here.
  • Options
    edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, i was let go. icon_sad.gif Instructions weren't really given. We were giving a few steps and sent on our way. I tried to cram in and learn as much as i could, but little experience with exchange and none with lotus kind of hurt me. I spoke to the team lead and told him i explained to the recruiter that i didn't have the needed skills for the project and he was still eager to get me on. He thanked me for my honestly and sent me on my way. However, he did tell me he would keep me in mind if anything entry level pops up..so i guess i sort of came out with a win. He also decided to pay me for the day even though i was there for <3 hrs.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edzy wrote: »
    Well, i was let go. icon_sad.gif Instructions weren't really given. We were giving a few steps and sent on our way. I tried to cram in and learn as much as i could, but little experience with exchange and none with lotus kind of hurt me. I spoke to the team lead and told him i explained to the recruiter that i didn't have the needed skills for the project and he was still eager to get me on. He thanked me for my honestly and sent me on my way. However, he did tell me he would keep me in mind if anything entry level pops up..so i guess i sort of came out with a win. He also decided to pay me for the day even though i was there for <3 hrs.

    I think this is really a shame. Looking at the thread I think you said you had to fork out 50 dollars in expense to generate the paperwork for the gig? I would politely ask the agency for a refund on that expense.

    If you do professional rollout work then there is always a base expectancy of your required skillsets and experience and you must get that in writing before you accept a contract and find yourself flying out someplace only to find yourself completely out of your depth. With rollout there is no time to learn how Lotus Notes works, you have to get the job done.

    This is a company that has either tried to do this on the cheap or has been sold smoke by the recruiter in regard to the skills of the operators heading their way. With any new job it's important to do some research on the technologies before your boots hit the ground, but no amount of cramming will save you if the expectations are over and above the capabilities you bring to the table from the get go. This is particularly important with rollout and delivery work where you have to get through a lot of work to meet a deadline. The company hiring either provides a tested template for operators to follow or has an expectation that you are experienced at this sort of work and need only be told once what the requirements are and you can be trusted to run off and do it. Rather like myself when I did a contract router install a couple of years ago.

    You were upfront with the recruiter and I encourage to be so next time, but also ask to speak to the people who require a technician and have them clarify what they will give you to work with onsite in terms of instruction and what their actual expectations of your work and capabilities are. This is something I was always asking in the early years of my career in any interview and I think it served me well because expectations were realistic when I was taken on.

    I would venture that this company was looking for experienced rollout engineers and double teamed to ensure enough bodies turned up. They then cherry picked the team they wanted by lunch time on the premise that 8 experienced guys will get more done than 8 + more who need help. Buyer beware.
  • Options
    edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    I think this is really a shame. Looking at the thread I think you said you had to fork out 50 dollars in expense to generate the paperwork for the gig? I would politely ask the agency for a refund on that expense.

    This is what pissed me off the most. I had to print out close to 35 pages, get 3 notarized, and get them all faxed to them the same day. It's alrite, though since the lead paid me for the day($165).

    Thanks for the kind advice.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edzy wrote: »
    This is what pissed me off the most. I had to print out close to 35 pages, get 3 notarized, and get them all faxed to them the same day. It's alrite, though since the lead paid me for the day($165).

    Thanks for the kind advice.

    It's a mean industry. Try and get some straight answers next time. Again, I would ask for that paperwork cost back. It's an expense that you have to deduct from the daily rate you were paid. You lose nothing by making a request for that.
Sign In or Register to comment.