Options

/PAE switch on Windows Server 2003 box

EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
Folks,

I have a Windows Server 2003 SP2 Standard Edition x86 server in our prod environment. Some more info on this box:

1. Processor doesnt do hardware DEP.
2. Runs SQL.
3. Has 2x 2GB sticks (for a total of 4GB) but the OS only see 3.25GB (32 bit OS)
4. Boot.ini file
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Standard" /fastdetect /3GB /NoExecute=OptOut

So the issue is that once every 40 days or so, this server runs out of memory and stops responding and lies there dead in the water. Only option is to restart it after which it works fine for another so many days (no set pattern to the number of days) before it needs another restart.

Now is it okay to use the /PAE switch on such a server?

I read somewhere that the /NoExecute=OptOut also enables the /PAE switch, is this right??

The /3GB switch was put in so SQL could have more resources. Is it advisable to use the /PAE switch, the /3GB switch and /NoExecute=OptOut switch together? Would it help at all to chuck in the /PAE switch on this server.

Help is greatly appreciated as I cannot find a link which explains the implications of using these switches together.
NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws Server 2003, Standard" /fastdetect /3GB /Execute /PAE

is what you want :)

You should then see the "Physical Address Extension" in the system properties after a reboot

Here a 2003 box (32Bit)

2ah9p4l.jpg

My boot.ini
    [boot loader]
    redirect=usebiossettings
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Standard" /Execute /fastdetect /redirect /PAE

My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can use /PAE and /3GB together without any real issue.

Of real concern here though is why you are experiencing memory pressures and at such predictable intervals.

Although Id recommend putting it to use, even with the /PAE switch, it is unlikely the additional ram will make the difference you are looking for based on your problem description.

What other services does this box run?
    What process is responsible for the memory usage that ultimately results in it going down?

You said your running SQL which I will assume is the primary cause of this issue as SQL likes to eat memory.... In which case it is likely a misconfigured memory value in SQL. What is the configured Maximum memory usage SQL is being allowed?
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP