Options

Anti-static wrist straps worth it or not?

2»

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Our field techs won't touch equipmenr without one. They certainly aren't imaginary. If you burn something up without one on it will be you paying for it. No point risking it when work is concerned.

If its your own gear than I guess you can take chances. I don't wear one on my own stuff.

Actually some branches of Sun Microsystems back in the day would revoke the certifications of some techs if they touch the equipment without Anti-Static wrap. All Sun Hardware parts comes with Anti-Static wrist strap.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Never worn one, never had a problem. It's nearly impossible not to touch the case when installing a motherboard or card. Always touch cards, CPUs and RAM by the sides. Never moonwalk before installing components. General rules I abide by. The only possible what if time is if I need to replace a PSU, then I always touch the working PSU.

Who knew ESD straps would be so emotive!?
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Never moonwalk before installing components.
    LMAO :p
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Never worn one, never had a problem. It's nearly impossible not to touch the case when installing a motherboard or card. Always touch cards, CPUs and RAM by the sides. Never moonwalk before installing components. General rules I abide by. The only possible what if time is if I need to replace a PSU, then I always touch the working PSU.

Who knew ESD straps would be so emotive!?

The reason it is emotive is because we are saying you simply never knew if you ever had a problem or not.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2159

Not directed at you Asif. But science always trumps anecdote and refusing to believe something after reasonable evidence has been presented is foolish. If the person chooses to modify their behavior afterwards is another matter.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Never used one personally or either of my IT jobs. Never fried a part and often worked right there on the carpet at home through dozens of builds/fixes. I don't even give it a thought.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    All Sun Hardware parts comes with Anti-Static wrist strap.
    I've still got a massive bag of those 3M disposable anti-static wrist straps that came with Sun gear.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Again, people hung up on if they have or have not ever fried a part. Evidence suggests that damage can be caused that is not readily apparent. Use a strap.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have one, and rarely use which is bad on me. By not using one you are just getting lucky.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Always use a strap, contact gel and a mat! The ESD damage as mentioned can cause small hardware failures in the future that you cannot trace. All this could be avoided by spending a few bucks and using proper technique. I know of a guy who worked in a depot who got fired because he was not using a wrist strap. The company was trying to trace the cause of component failures after depot maint.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Interestingly enough, I recently had this debate with Fry's Electronics. I was helping a friend build a computer and while we were shopping for components, I asked the sales guy where the wrist straps were. The guy pointed out the aisle but then advised against purchasing one since "they are completely unnecessary and their techs in their computer repair department never even use them." On a whim, I walked past the computer repair department and confirmed with them as well. I ended up filling out some survey at the sales counter and got a call weeks later from a manager in marketing who tried to explain that they don't need to use wrist straps since there is rubbing on the bottom of their tech's sneakers. icon_rolleyes.gif

Heh... While obviously I can repair my own computer hardware issues, I feel sorry for the poor customers who pay to have them upgrade their RAM/CPU/etc only to find it degrading over time or functioning slowly.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I have one, and rarely use which is bad on me. By not using one you are just getting lucky.

Then call me Mr. Lucky for about a thousand other things. icon_cheers.gif

You can ground yourself without using one...geez.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I will post two more links along with the butchered quote "those that do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it." and end my turn. No point in continuing as some are beyond the basic understanding that failure is almost never instant, even in Russian roulette. The exception is that chances of some ever working for a tier 1 or 2 electronics manufacturer for more than a day are non-existant. Those ESD shipping bags are a waste of money too; bubble wrap works just as good.

WWW.ESDA.ORG Any electronics company of any size is a member. Just look at their December 2010 position paper. Recommended reading for all disbelievers and true believers alike. Oh and check the logos on the first page, but what the H** do they know anyway.
    http://www.esda.org/documents/IndustryCouncilWhitePaper3.pdf

American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
    Voluntary Standards Cover the Spectrum: from Theater and Rehearsal Floors to Conductive Wrist Straps
    Conductive Wrist Straps
    For workers who handle sensitive electronic equipment, wrist straps often serve as a first line of defense against electrostatic discharge (ESD). Designed to limit the buildup of electrostatic voltage on worker’s bodies, wrist straps form an electrical connection between the wearer and a grounding cord to prevent injury due to electric shock.

ANSI/ESD S1.1-1998 (R2006), Protection of Electrostatic Discharge Susceptible Items—Wrist Straps, details test methods to determine the electrical and mechanical characteristics of wrist straps and to evaluate their functionality. The standard also specifies the acceptable range of breakaway force required to cause a wrist strap to separate from the grounding cable.

An ANSI-accredited standards development organization, the Electrostatic Discharge Association (ESD Association) develops standards and test methods designed to address electrostatic overstress and discharge control. While the Association's efforts primarily relate to the electronic manufacturing industry, ESD documents are also applicable to other industries and environments which require control of static electricity.

Trust to luck or make your own luck... TheShadow
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO