Options

Passed 70-642

unnamedplayerunnamedplayer Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just got back and passed with an 883, woohoo!

Study materials were the following:

MS Press Book
Mastering Windows Server 2008
CBT Nuggets
Techexams 70-642 Resource Thread
Selftest Software 70-642 practice exams
Lots of labbing

I was a little worried about this one going in, but judging by my score report I guess I did OK. Maxed out the bars for the first 3 topic areas and almost the 4th. It was Monitoring and Managing a Network Infrastructure where I kinda bombed LOL.

Oh well, so glad to be done with it. One more for MCITP:SA :)

Comments

• Options
    hackmerhackmer Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!icon_cheers.gif
    Did you have questions about Routing and Remote Access Services?
    This only thing of that I am afraid. :)
    Next week will my 642 :)
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    ITVinceITVince Member Posts: 143
    Debating on if I should wait for R2 books to be published before I begin studying for this exam, what do you think?
    Currently studying for:
    MCTS 70-642 Network Infrastructure
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Btw that didnt take you long now did it? I swear you just posted maybe a month month and a half ago that you passed the 70-640 how long did you study for? Also was the old MS press book sufficient? No need to worry about R2?
    Currently studying for:
  • Options
    unnamedplayerunnamedplayer Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ITVince wrote: »
    Btw that didnt take you long now did it? I swear you just posted maybe a month month and a half ago that you passed the 70-640 how long did you study for? Also was the old MS press book sufficient? No need to worry about R2?

Passed the 640 on Dec. 15, the 642 on Mar. 18 so almost 3 months from exam to exam.

I think its a lot like the 640 in terms of you can't just rely on the MS Press book. I used the articles in the 642 resources thread for things that weren't covered in the book or CBT nuggets. Also I took a little different approach in reviewing this time. I ended up going over each topic area (re-reading, watching videos, etc.) and then taking the relevant practice questions for each topic area.

As to whether you should wait or not for the R2 book is hard to say. I don't know exactly when the book is coming out. If you are really looking to take the 642 next and the book is over a month away, I'd probably just start studying now with the current release. I found it to be pretty good overall, but obviously you will need to consult outside sources for R2 information.
  • Options
    Passed the 640 on Dec. 15, the 642 on Mar. 18 so almost 3 months from exam to exam.

I think its a lot like the 640 in terms of you can't just rely on the MS Press book. I used the articles in the 642 resources thread for things that weren't covered in the book or CBT nuggets. Also I took a little different approach in reviewing this time. I ended up going over each topic area (re-reading, watching videos, etc.) and then taking the relevant practice questions for each topic area.

As to whether you should wait or not for the R2 book is hard to say. I don't know exactly when the book is coming out. If you are really looking to take the 642 next and the book is over a month away, I'd probably just start studying now with the current release. I found it to be pretty good overall, but obviously you will need to consult outside sources for R2 information.

Thanks man ya the MS Press book for R2 is not coming out until the end of April icon_sad.gif I'll take your advice. But first I need a few weeks off. I really beat myself up after not passing the test on the first try.
    Currently studying for:
  • Options
    CChilderhoseCChilderhose Member Posts: 137
    Congrats on the pass.
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
    MCITP: EA, VA, SA
    VCAP-DCD, VCP6 -- COMING SOON
  • Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    Passed the 642 exam today. Materials used were:

MS Press Book (MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-642): Configuring Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure)
    Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed
    Techexams 70-642 Resource Thread
    Transcender 70-642 R2 exams

I didn't do enough labbing. Unfortunately, my laptop is too old to be able to do 64bit so had to borrow time on another machine (wonder if I can get my wife to spring for a new laptop so I can do 643 :D ). There were several questions that asked what the next step for something would be or asked what panel on a configuration page would be used. Nothing I hadn't seen or done, but I didn't do enough of it to remember where things were or which order to do things.

Sean
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually