Options

ESXi server build

HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
Say that i'm going to purchase a server or two. I know the type of hardware i'm looking for in general however can anyone suggest a brand? I've been looking at Dell Poweredge servers for a bit and was recently looking at HP Proliant ones as well. Is one going to be more ESXi compatible than the other? Any suggestions on a particular model? Thanks.
WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.

Comments

• Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You would need to verify on VMware's HCL. From my experiance I have not had any issues getting ESXi 3.5 installed on any PowerEdge, even the low end 860's. The main issue is ESX needs drivers for your RAID, SATA or PATA.

I took my old home media center pc and got it running with 3.5 with no issues.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I second checking on the HCL... Brandwise, Dell or HP either one should do just fine.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Anyone have better luck with one over the other? I'm just not very familiar with the HP ones, i've done a bit of research on the Dell models. Noticed the prices seem to be in the favor of Dell, but I wonder if there is a reason for that. Also I know you can have only a single license of ESXi, is there a way for example if I had two server boxes that I could get that working and still be able to manage them?
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well, you could install ESXi on both servers, but you'd have to manage them separately unless you have a vCenter Server

I only use Dell because that is our company's preferred vendor, but HP is great too. Go with the best bang for the buck
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd be willing to be that most of the hardware sold by the big companies (HP, Dell, IBM, Cisco, etc.) these days is going to be on VMware's HCL.