Options

Security Clearance

Fu LoserFu Loser Member Posts: 123
On computerjobs.com I see a lot of job posting that say Security Clearance needed.

How do you obtain that?

Comments

• Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You have to get it from the feds. And it's a pain to get. I got secret clearance last year and I can tell you it took approximately 8 months. Basically, they do intense background checks (fbi agents actually interviewed two of my ex-girlfriends, my parents, my army recruiter from way back, all of my previous employers, and several other people I'd been associated with. I was suprised when my ex called me and said two fbi guys came to see her and asked personal questions about me. But trust me, if you're going to be in security and penetration testing it's worth it. You can't get the good government pen testing contracts without it. I'm in the process of getting top secret clearance now. So far, I know I have to take several polygraph tests (6 or more), and god knows what else I'll have to go through.

By the way, they tell you it'll take only 60 days, don't believe it!!!
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I would want to know what types of questions are asked before I submit to a polygraph test. Not that I have anything to hide, but I wouldn't trust them not to ask irrelevant questions which could possibly be used against you.

Anyway...how exactly do you "apply" for a security clearance, or is it even possible without having a government job first?
  • Options
    fonduefondue Member Posts: 104
    Generally you get a clearance through your employer if you process or view secret or above classified documents. Though the process is long, I haven't heard of anyone taking lie detector tests for secret. The top secret clearance is tougher, hope you get along with your neighbors, hehehe.

A word of advice, once you get one try to keep it. The process is streamlined if you move from company to company.
  • Options
    For top secret clearance, it would make sense that they check everything. My dad has some level of security clearance, but has never mentioned being interviewed by FBI agents or having to take a polygraph test.
  • Options
    Yes you are both correct, if you read my post closely, you'll see that I said I "have" to take a polygraph, as in, I haven't yet. In other words this is what someone (who has top secret clearance already) told me I'd be subjected to for top secret. And I don't know of any way to get it other than through your employer or having a government job. This was not something I wanted to do or asked to do, my company wanted a certain contract and basically everyone working on the project had to have the clearance. So me and 2 other people had to get it. And from what I'm told, you wont see this advertised anywhere. As far as what I know, I can only speak on the secret clearance level from experience because that's all I have. And now after looking over my disclosure agreement, I have probably already walked the "straddle the fence" in reference to what I can and can't tell. To be honest with you, my old supervisor (head of detectives in a police department) has the same clearance I have, He got it 4 years ago, and basically our experiences were totally different. We came to the conclusion that depending on what you needed the clearance for or what your job is, you'd be subjected to different things. For example, he carries a Glock 9MM for his job, I don't!! So it probably varies, and changes. The best way to find out is to call your local FBI field office.
  • Options
    I'd rather not work for The Man anyway. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    You got that right! It's really an erie feeling to know that know about most of my past problems, whether it be credit, or personal problems.
  • Options
    reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    By the way, they tell you it'll take only 60 days, don't believe it!!!
    Uh...yeah, that's about right. I took me about a 6 to 8 months to get a secret and maybe around a year and a half to get TS. They'll interview everyone who knows you basically and it takes awhile. Then you have to wait for paperwork. Lord knows, everyone hates that part. icon_confused.gif
    Reloaded~4~Ever
  • Options
    Fu LoserFu Loser Member Posts: 123
    Hmm i figured it had to do with government contracts. many companies are asking for it on job descriptions. I think it would be cool to work for FBI. You can actually apply with a CCNP.