Options

Passed 70-640

Well after failing with a 638 / 1000 last week, I took the test again after studying strictly practice tests and I passed this morning with a 868/1000. I studied for 4 months off an on.The game changer folks, is work through practice exams any and all help, this is the only way in my opinion your going to feel comfertable with the tests questions and have a good idea of the wording of questions. Read the study books, do your test labs on R2 with, then for the last two weeks, do practice tests and test your skills and you'll be fine. Dont rely on Sybex practice tests those are too easy. Try the Kaplan self test software Kaplan SelfTest Microsoft MCTS 70-640 Training Products - Practice tests and Online Courses - 70-640. Good luck
Currently studying for:
MCTS 70-642 Network Infrastructure

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the new cert! How soon do you plan to tackle the 642?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    ITVinceITVince Member Posts: 143
    Thats a good question...I was just looking on Amazon....It looks like there's still nothing out on R2....I'm wondering if I should take a break and wait until published material is out on R2? The exam I took today was the old 50 question exam and they simply suplemented Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2008 R2...Looks like new books are being published by Microsoft and Sybex at the end of April and May....icon_study.gif What do you think? Should I wait until the R2 books are published?
    Currently studying for:
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    642 doesn't have as many changes as 640 and 643 did for R2 so i'd star studying for it now. Are you going for the SA or EA?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    sherrillsherrill Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on your pass. I'm getting ready to take the 640, I'm taking the same track as you with the practice tests (I have the Kaplan as well as two Measure Up). I think part of successful test taking is reading the questions carefully.

One thing I am focusing on is making sure I use the test questions to understand the concepts beyond just answering questions. I'll often switch between the test an my labs to see how the answer fits the "real world".
  • Options
    ITVinceITVince Member Posts: 143
    What about your post here man? Thats why I said I may wait...you had a number of items bolded in red showing changes in R2 material. For now i'm going for SA, I may upgrade to EA eventually. Windows 7 Configuration 680 and Application 643 look promising....I may look into those.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/42947-70-642-resources.html#post453573

icon_confused.gif:icon_confused.gif:icon_confused.gif:
    Currently studying for:
  • Options
    CChilderhoseCChilderhose Member Posts: 137
    Congrats on the pass.
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
    MCITP: EA, VA, SA
    VCAP-DCD, VCP6 -- COMING SOON
  • Options
    ltgenspecificltgenspecific Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the PASS! This one is upcoming for me and I have been using the SelfTest software intensely. Glad to hear it helped, I picked it up on a recommendation from a friend regarding it's similarity in question wording. icon_smile.gif

Good luck on the next one!
  • Options
    balwinder.kaurbalwinder.kaur Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass! What are the books and CBT's(if any) you used to prepare for the exam. Also, what other tests did you use other than Kaplan?